• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Game 3D simmilar to Tibia, what do you think about it :) ?

Do you like it =-) ?

• Yes

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
=) ok thanks for the tips =p I will post an update soon, I am getting very confused with the A* pathfinding algorythme, it seems that there is no reliable method :/ still made some new art, and working on a chat system ;p

I've tried mastering A* and creating my own pathfinding, but I gave up - it seemed quite complex, so I thought that staying with default Unity's pathfinding would be a better use of my time. Double the respect to you for doing it your way (I guess in case of tile-based game you are kind-of forced to, but the point stays).

I know that in early stages of every project there is not much "interesting" and cool stuff to show, as most of it happens in the code, so I will be patiently awaiting updates :D

Hello =)
quick update for those who wanted news! I've been busy lately, but progress keeps going on!
The chat system is made, I'm not the best to work with user interface, so it is really squarry for now.
That beeing done, I'll focus on making NPC's really soon!

@Baahzera
Thank you :) I'm currently working hard on the npc system, Ill post an update this week with a short video =p!

This looks nice...

But just curious why did you chose your 'own map system' with map editor over unity's terrain system??

Also another thing what I would personally think would improve this is:
- I think the view could be a little closer and slightly more from top, would be more convincing
- Maybe distance a bit from tibia, in HUD / MENU / CHAT BOX design I mean, I think it looks too much like the real thing...

And what I noticed when you walked into a mountain area in one video, the view could become blocking because of the mountain 'walls'
maybe you wanna add a transparency/opacity feature to your to do list?
that those walls / objects that have a certain distance from your char get a %-opacity?

What do you think?
Dont get me wrong I really like this
this is awesome.. Im just trying to throw in ideas

@Baahzera I did not plan to realease on mobile, but I would have all the tool to do so, as unity is a multiplatform ide, I would say, maybe :)

@Thaian Citizen First of all, thanks for the feed back, I am taking good notes of it.

Your first question was :
But just curious why did you chose your 'own map system' with map editor over unity's terrain system??

First of all, I choosed to do mine because I can customize it, with the tools I like, In a devloppement environnement where I can test right of the bat the changes I just made to the sources
Second, there is actually a few things In 3D that differs than 2D, maybe you did not notice, but the walls are located on the edge of the tiles. It means that a wall does'nt make a tile unwalkable.
SHjX2Z.jpg

On the image above, (despite my paint drawing skills) you can see what I mean, on tibia there would be somes tiles unwalkable, but with the map editors I've made, every tiles is walkable,
And also, I could do walls that follows a ramp. which I thinks is really usefull =)

Indeed remeres works quite well for 2D, but I thinks that live mapping in remeres works like crap, and I'm planning on changing the way my map editors works, I want it to be like a client, that walks through the map, with the hud of the map editors, that means that the map will be modified directly in the servers data, and it will be possible to be 100 player mapping in same without syncronisation issue. That is surely not done yet, but by combining functions of my editors to the client, I could certainly get this to work,

Also, my client, my server, and my map editor shares the same namespace, that means, when I change a method in a class, or a structure, the change is applied to everyone, and that make thing a lot much easier than having to change 3 different source code for one minor changes =)

in short, I saw much more pros than cons :p

Your second thought was :
This looks nice...
Also another thing what I would personally think would improve this is:
- I think the view could be a little closer and slightly more from top, would be more convincing
- Maybe distance a bit from tibia, in HUD / MENU / CHAT BOX design I mean, I think it looks too much like the real thing...

Indeed it looks a lot like the real thing, and we might all want a fresh new thing ;p
for the view things, I only have to modify few variable and it's done, so in the next video, it will be changed, and you can tell me if you like it better =)

finally, your last suggestion was :
And what I noticed when you walked into a mountain area in one video, the view could become blocking because of the mountain 'walls'
maybe you wanna add a transparency/opacity feature to your to do list?
that those walls / objects that have a certain distance from your char get a %-opacity?

What do you think?
Dont get me wrong I really like this
this is awesome.. Im just trying to throw in ideas

P3NVm5.jpg

You are not wrong at all =p
as you can see on this pictures, the tree also hides the character.
That is a nice feature to be added and certainly added it to my todo list =p
I did not worked a lot yet on the client-sided things and the hud, there is tons of things to code yet ;p

Thanks again for the feedback! Always appreciated to have a different point of view!

Also =p As you might have noticed, English is not my primary language, I'm french, so please understand that there might be some spellings error here and there!

How is combat, NPCs and monsters effected by the Z-axis? In Tibia there is pretty much no interaction between different floors, but it looks like your game would support that.

@Worr Indeed it support that ;p but the same rules are aplied to the z axis, it respect the range of the weapon, for distance weapon, I might add bonus range for each floor you get over your target... I imagine someone on a tower shooting further than someone on the ground floor, The monster also follows you through slope terrain, and might follow you as well in holes, but currently it doesn't. Mage will be able to shoot runes on differrent floor, as long as there is no object blocking the path of the projectiles... That was how I'd like it to be, but It can change if it creates issue I did not think of, but would surely fix stair hope...

@danick10 Would be nice with some kind of algorithm for shooting over objects, similar to how you are limited when shooting "around" corners in Tibia. Maybe also a Z-axis for projectiles, with some projectiles that can be shot in an arc rather than towards the target in a straight line.

@Worr yep ;p that is a great Idea ;p
@macedoon played that game only once ;p might looks like runescape but runescape is nt tile-based

Good luck with it ^^, glad to see someone trying to achieve this, though the gameplay will differ really a lot.

Because some of you were probably waiting for an update, as promised, here it is :
The npc system 1.0 ;p

It uses XML files to load the npcs
I designed the ui to be multiplatform, I did nt want to use the traditional Npc system that tibia uses because it forces you to have a keyboard,
The UI could be easly used on Xbox, IOS, Windows because I made it simple, buttons, and sliders only.
I tooks 4 or 5 clicks to buy an items, and you doesn't have to tpye anything, which I think pretty cool =)!
with my system, you only have to target the npcs, if you are close enough, the server will send you the option availble, you can buy, sells, check for quest, gossips, and take some tasks.
Once you click on the option, the server then send the data for this options!

Took me sometime to convert string to byte array, I went into some bugs and it took me a few days to resolve my issues,
but now everythings works properly :)

I also changed the camera angle :)

Hope you liked it ! leave comment =p !

Back