• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

GoOT (Golang Server)

rwxsu

Computer Engineer
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
rwxsu
I just started writing a server in Go using SharpOT and old YurOTS as a reference.

It's just for learning and it's not meant to compete with TFS.

My goal is to write parsers to have it compatible with the leaked cipsoft files (like Nostalrius did with the .npc files). Starting with protocol 7.4

Advice, pull-requests, and code reviews are appreciated. Feel free to help or watch: rwxsu/goot

Progress:
Load map from .sec files (4 different sectors are displayed in the picture below)

progress.png

Attachments

Amazing project @rwxsu, it's nice to see some fresh ideas like this one.
I would like you to share some experiences programming this OT here in go.
It can be played with standard clients or it requires something different?
A guide on how to compile would be nice too. I will test it if you want.

Amazing project @rwxsu, it's nice to see some fresh ideas like this one.
I would like you to share some experiences programming this OT here in go.
It can be played with standard clients or it requires something different?
A guide on how to compile would be nice too. I will test it if you want.
Thank you 😃

Go was specifically made by Google to replace messy C++ networking code that would take forever to compile. Because of that, everything you need to make a server like this is built into the standard library (no need for boost, libxml, etc...). My best experience programming in Go is the standard library and the official documentation (it's amazing).

Yes, standard client. Starting with protocol 7.4, because packets are not encrypted.

Steps to compile:
  • Download Golang or apt-get install golang-go
  • Open your terminal:
    1. git clone https://github.com/rwxsu/goot.git
    2. cd goot
    3. go run main.go

It's great if you can test when the project starts to take shape (simple movement hasn't been implemented yet).

Because I'm writing this server from scratch, looking at TFS code while I do it, I see many places where TFS could have been written better. And I will most likely find many bugs that crash TFS, that I can share or fix.

Edit: edited steps to compile: made easier thanks to @Raggaer.

Last edited:
Thats awesome, have gains in maintenance/test time too..

What about server performance with couple of players?

I'm developing a web app using web sockets for 7.4, compiling and compressing the sprite files, and connecting using the usual protocol in browser but for now, using the usual server(tfs).

Thats awesome, have gains in maintenance/test time too..

What about server performance with couple of players?

I'm developing a web app using web sockets for 7.4, compiling and compressing the sprite files, and connecting using the usual protocol in browser but for now, using the usual server(tfs).
Its too early to talk about performance since basically nothing more or less is working properly

I have worked a few years back on a server written in Java and seeing this makes want to finish the project.
Good luck with your project :)

If you use OTClient you could just rewrite the protocol as fit for you/the tools/language(tibia protocol is old and may be there better/easier way to implement it).

If you use OTClient you could just rewrite the protocol as fit for you/the tools/language(tibia protocol is old and may be there better/easier way to implement it).
Yes, that is a good point. I want to do it for 7.4 first (to learn), but OTClient is definitely the way to go.

Very cool! I love the network code. Go is a very interesting language that appears pretty easy to get into. I'll keep an eye on the development of this. :)

I have a repo that might be useful if you want to tap into the tibia protocol on the client side (in a more condensed way than etc otclient):
Znote/POTCP (https://github.com/Znote/POTCP) (php open tibia client protocol).

Out of the box it supports 10.98 with network encryption/decryption (TFS 1.2/3), but also has a test class for client 7.6. Might help you with the protocol research.

Very cool! I love the network code. Go is a very interesting language that appears pretty easy to get into. I'll keep an eye on the development of this. :)

I have a repo that might be useful if you want to tap into the tibia protocol on the client side (in a more condensed way than etc otclient):
Znote/POTCP (https://github.com/Znote/POTCP) (php open tibia client protocol).

Out of the box it supports 10.98 with network encryption/decryption (TFS 1.2/3), but also has a test class for client 7.6. Might help you with the protocol research.
Thank you :D It is always great to have different reference code sources to look at.

Last edited:
I have spent a lot of time on this kind of thing while working on my own server project PyOT2 (outdated thread); completely redesigning the server API and network protocol whenever found useful (many more server changes than network protocol changes for now though).
Would be interested in discussing the subject/coming up with new ideas with other serious devs that's interested in the topic and have some interesting ideas or thoughts of their own to contribute (I tend to ask more questions than I answer).
Discord: #e.e0480.

Also wish you good luck and a lot fun with the project @rwxsu.

Last edited:
I have spent a lot of time on this kind of thing while working on my own server project PyOT2 (outdated thread); completely redesigning the server API and network protocol whenever found useful (many more server changes than network protocol changes for now though).
Would be interested in discussing the subject/coming up with new ideas with other serious devs that's interested in the topic and have some interesting ideas or thoughts of their own to contribute (I tend to ask more questions than I answer).
Discord: #e.e0480.

Also wish you good luck and a lot fun with the project @rwxsu.
Thank you, join the channel Join the (Open)Tibia Discord Server! (https://discord.gg/zVmrKBc) to discuss with other devs (we are currently 4).

Back