• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

GoOT (Golang Server)

Why is that?
Barely anything is done, author is not active (banned here, github account no longer exists). You can as well start new project and won't be that much behind (by looking at the source, it's maybe 2h of work).

Barely anything is done, author is not active (banned here, github account no longer exists). You can as well start new project and won't be that much behind (by looking at the source, it's maybe 2h of work).
It's a great starting point. It wouldn't take much work for this to be better than TFS. If people here could act like an "open community" for a second than projects like this would've already been considered by the development team. It may be 2 hours for you but this clearly took more than weeks for a small group of people to put together, mostly rwsxu. Golang is nothing like C++ but if you could do this in 2 hours than you could surely have monsters and items implements in 2 more and a fully running server by tomorrow

It's a great starting point. It wouldn't take much work for this to be better than TFS. If people here could act like an "open community" for a second than projects like this would've already been considered by the development team. It may be 2 hours for you but this clearly took more than weeks for a small group of people to put together, mostly rwsxu. Golang is nothing like C++ but if you could do this in 2 hours than you could surely have monsters and items implements in 2 more and a fully running server by tomorrow
Did you even see this repo? There is barely anything done. Not even login server. Hardcoded player with items, skills and position.

Did you even see this repo? There is barely anything done. Not even login server. Hardcoded player with items, skills and position.
Yes that's what I meant by a server by tomorrow. It's technically just an instance with tiles but there's a foundation to build from. It's better to have a source from someone with more knowledge than start from nothing. I'm a web developer so this is stepping outside of my realm. For me it's about the learning experience. Plus it's open source anytime someone want's to do OTS development written in Go, they should try to implement or improve the exsisting code.. If everyone rewrites their own versions as individuals, we'll never get anything done. That's the reason there is threads on here theorizing modern OT development. It's theoretical, because no one want's to share their work. From what I've seen on this forum in my short time here; People create their own servers wether it's written in C, Java, Python, Go, etc and it's not picked up by the development team. We're using a very overloaded C++ TFS server currently that has .h and .cpp files. In the past had .o as well. C++ may be quick but it's insanely hard for people to pick up and overly-complicated

It's theoretical, because no one want's to share their work
Wrong. No one has either time, resources or experience to work on a completely new server.

People create their own servers wether it's written in C, Java, Python, Go, etc and it's not picked up by the development team.
Because they are in such alpha stage that it's not WORTH to drop current TFS and run to something started as a hobby and something that will NEVER see a daylight.

We're using a very overloaded C++ TFS server currently that has .h and .cpp files.
What file extensions have to do with anything is beyond me.

C++ may be quick but it's insanely hard for people to pick up and overly-complicated
So you want to take the easy road and have unstable server with poor performance because newbies are stuck on HTML? Please.

You are talking about dropping YEARS of development for no reason at all.

Wrong. No one has either time, resources or experience to work on a completely new server.

Because they are in such alpha stage that it's not WORTH to drop current TFS and run to something started as a hobby and something that will NEVER see a daylight.

What file extensions have to do with anything is beyond me.

So you want to take the easy road and have unstable server with poor performance because newbies are stuck on HTML? Please.

You are talking about dropping YEARS of development for no reason at all.
It sounds like to me, you'd like to take the easy route by just maintaing junk. It's not just file extensions. It's physical files. It's more code. I'm speaking Golang not HTML. HTML is a markup langauge mainly used by front end web developers. Front end web developers use a wide range of languages but typically start with HTML, CSS, and Javascript. As a backend developer you typically deal with SQL when working with noob languages. When doing backend you deal with SQL, GraphQL, API's, many langauges.. Your HTML refrence is very invalid. Just because you learned C in 1995 doesn't mean we should be stuck with trash. Who said drop the current server? There is no reason an alpha server can't be implemented while maintaing the TFS that doesn't get updates for years at a time.

It sounds like to me, you'd like to take the easy route by just maintaing junk. It's not just file extensions. It's physical files. It's more code.
What the hell are you talking about?

I'm speaking Golang not HTML. HTML is a markup langauge mainly used by front end web developers. Front end web developers use a wide range of languages but typically start with HTML, CSS, and Javascript. As a backend developer you typically deal with SQL when working with noob languages. When doing backend you deal with SQL, GraphQL, API's, many langauges.. Your HTML refrence is very invalid
I was sarcastic....

Just because you learned C in 1995 doesn't mean we should be stuck with trash.
C and C++ are trash? Low-level languages are trash? God have mercy.

TFS that doesn't get updates for years at a time.
I'm sorry? Do you even git?

What the hell are you talking about?

I was sarcastic....

C and C++ are thrash? Low-level languages are thrash? God have mercy.

I'm sorry? Do you even git?
You sound like a mad 12 year old nerd. I have many websites hosted from GitLab. I built TFS from source on Arch Linux. Of course I know how to 'git'. Git over yourself. This is an open discussion thread; not for close-minded people.
Ignored. :)

wtf did I just read
fml
Rage and putdowns over a project from a banned user. Completely unecessary discussion. I simply asked for the source and asked why it was abanadoned. Commenting on the progress of the project has nothing to do with why it was disbanded. It's sad people on here get mad that others are interested in something to benefit the community. I personally could give a shit less about any opinions.

Back