• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

HELLAS OT MAPPING THREAD

What do you guys think?
please leave comments below..

rnpapq.png

wayyyyyyyyyyyy too squarey, the bamboo in the water doesn't make sense, and it would seem that you're not responding to feedback that well which is kinda odd because you're asking for our opinions.

I like the setup of the city, it has that feeling of greek acropolis. The map itself is could be done better, but you're improving a lot. I would make the buildings more compact, you probably could make some of those buildings a bit smaller and save some space for for he city. Also the library is looking a lot better, but it needs a roof, you don't want the books to get wet. I'm not a big fan of the wall combination, it think it can be done better, but it doesn't look horrendous. Also i would remover the "hellas" border-thing-y.
But really, you are improving a lot! Keep it up

It Definitely does have that acropolis feeling

Do you guys think city should be bigger?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the setup of the city, it has that feeling of greek acropolis. The map itself is could be done better, but you're improving a lot. I would make the buildings more compact, you probably could make some of those buildings a bit smaller and save some space for for he city. Also the library is looking a lot better, but it needs a roof, you don't want the books to get wet. I'm not a big fan of the wall combination, it think it can be done better, but it doesn't look horrendous. Also i would remover the "hellas" border-thing-y.
But really, you are improving a lot! Keep it up

Thank you means a lot coming from an experienced mapper such as yourself I see ur Harry potter stuff! It's beast and maps should always have a theme, I'll see if I can shape it up better, I'm planning to expand it (make it bigger), what do u think?

I think it should be bigger

Temple Of Zeus...
Please comment below.. I need as many suggestions as possible..
don't just say its autoborded when you dont know what autoborded means :D
Thanks!
vXvUvE.png

Last edited:
First things first, let's get the autoborder topic out of the way: The autoborder is a great way for a noobie mapper to learn his way with bordering easily. It should be used as a starting point for creators to wean them onto raw bordering. Now why would you use raw bordering? It can make a world of a difference when the user knows what he's doing. However, the same can be said about autbordering. Neon at one point did an incredibly mountain using only autoborder and you wouldn't have been able to tell, but the thing about that is he knows everything there is to know about RME and mapping. A mapper should not rely on autoborder to make maps when they are inexperienced.

Secondly: Realism. Your maps should be logical. In every iteration of the word 'logical'. When mapping you should ask yourself, "Does this make sense, and will it look out of place?" If both answers to this is yes or no then don't implement it. When you have a waterfall on top of a mountain where does the water come from? There is no way a stagnate water source could sustain a waterfall for a period of time. Make a source. (This can be another small mountain with water coming out of it). You can break out of the regular mold of mapping, the old classic style of stone brick walls, framework walls, and grass is a theme that comes to mind to what can be avoided when creating a city. Don't mix seventy different walls or borders or floors. Ever. EVER. Stick to one to four AT MAX in a single area. (An area qualifies the single style of a city, mountain, hunting spot, ect.)

Squares. Squares, squares, squares. This isn't math class! Keep those √ 's out of here. Create different shapes and look at the bordering other good mappers do, look here for some of the best. You will notice that they have very few actual squares. They do have 90° angles (not four 90°'s with four-five horizontal or vertical borders) but that is entirely not optional in Tibia Mapping. When using raw bordering (Turn it off using 'A') you will realize how many shapes you are now able to use compared to how lackluster autoborder is. It may take longer but the desired effect is noticeable.

Placement. Like every word, has a time and place. For instance, in your first picture you show large branches near the temple, those do not belong there because what trees created them? That five foot tree created a single fifty foot branch? Not likely. Those branches belong in a jungle, or sometimes in a cave where it is coming out of a wall due to a large tree above (There's a sprite for it). Ground debris should almost never go on top of a border and should instead be coming from the border (Placed under it using raw). This debris should also make sense. I would not expect to see a snowy debris field in the middle of a grey mountain cave. Do not ever write words with grounds. It looks awful and players will not be able to see the entire thing. Rocks. Detailing rocks should rarely be used on top of ground types such as grass but should instead be placed on dirt, mountain grounds, ect. (Things you would actually expect it to be). Do not use the thick grass tufts as they can ruin a piece entirely.

Tutorials and learning. Look at tutorials! Every noobie should go straight to the mapping tutorial zone. The old OTFans' one is here and OTLand's one is here. These can teach you an incredible amount but do not expect to learn everything there. For the gaps in knowledge, look at the link I provided earlier in the squares segment. Learn from them. Do not try to copy their style. Look at how they did bordering, detailing, architecture, and so forth. There is absolutely no reason for you to not improve over time. Practice, practice, and practice some more. You will only become a better mapper over time through experience. There are no short cuts. Do you think Peroxide, Darklord, Neon, and Nicholas all started out as experts? Absolutely not.

TL;DR Read the wall of text if you want to actually improve.

First things first, let's get the autoborder topic out of the way: The autoborder is a great way for a noobie mapper to learn his way with bordering easily. It should be used as a starting point for creators to wean them onto raw bordering. Now why would you use raw bordering? It can make a world of a difference when the user knows what he's doing. However, the same can be said about autbordering. Neon at one point did an incredibly mountain using only autoborder and you wouldn't have been able to tell, but the thing about that is he knows everything there is to know about RME and mapping. A mapper should not rely on autoborder to make maps when they are inexperienced.

Secondly: Realism. Your maps should be logical. In every iteration of the word 'logical'. When mapping you should ask yourself, "Does this make sense, and will it look out of place?" If both answers to this is yes or no then don't implement it. When you have a waterfall on top of a mountain where does the water come from? There is no way a stagnate water source could sustain a waterfall for a period of time. Make a source. (This can be another small mountain with water coming out of it). You can break out of the regular mold of mapping, the old classic style of stone brick walls, framework walls, and grass is a theme that comes to mind to what can be avoided when creating a city. Don't mix seventy different walls or borders or floors. Ever. EVER. Stick to one to four AT MAX in a single area. (An area qualifies the single style of a city, mountain, hunting spot, ect.)

Squares. Squares, squares, squares. This isn't math class! Keep those √ 's out of here. Create different shapes and look at the bordering other good mappers do, look here for some of the best. You will notice that they have very few actual squares. They do have 90° angles (not four 90°'s with four-five horizontal or vertical borders) but that is entirely not optional in Tibia Mapping. When using raw bordering (Turn it off using 'A') you will realize how many shapes you are now able to use compared to how lackluster autoborder is. It may take longer but the desired effect is noticeable.

Placement. Like every word, has a time and place. For instance, in your first picture you show large branches near the temple, those do not belong there because what trees created them? That five foot tree created a single fifty foot branch? Not likely. Those branches belong in a jungle, or sometimes in a cave where it is coming out of a wall due to a large tree above (There's a sprite for it). Ground debris should almost never go on top of a border and should instead be coming from the border (Placed under it using raw). This debris should also make sense. I would not expect to see a snowy debris field in the middle of a grey mountain cave. Do not ever write words with grounds. It looks awful and players will not be able to see the entire thing. Rocks. Detailing rocks should rarely be used on top of ground types such as grass but should instead be placed on dirt, mountain grounds, ect. (Things you would actually expect it to be). Do not use the thick grass tufts as they can ruin a piece entirely.

Tutorials and learning. Look at tutorials! Every noobie should go straight to the mapping tutorial zone. The old OTFans' one is here and OTLand's one is here. These can teach you an incredible amount but do not expect to learn everything there. For the gaps in knowledge, look at the link I provided earlier in the squares segment. Learn from them. Do not try to copy their style. Look at how they did bordering, detailing, architecture, and so forth. There is absolutely no reason for you to not improve over time. Practice, practice, and practice some more. You will only become a better mapper over time through experience. There are no short cuts. Do you think Peroxide, Darklord, Neon, and Nicholas all started out as experts? Absolutely not.

TL;DR Read the wall of text if you want to actually improve.

Thanks bro... I really respect the fact you took the time to right all that! Yes many things can help me from what you said... Ill be sure to use it and i will show some more pictures..

Back