• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TFS 1.X+ How to switch to other map?

overdriven

Solutions
Reaction score
I'm running TFS 1.4 and want to switch from default forgotten map to some other map for same protocol (10.98).
For the sake of understanding how it works it doesn't matter which map do I switch to, but let's say I have only the .otbm file of the new map. In example first map for 10.98 I've found.

Now what do you normally do except replacing the .otbm map file in world/forgotten.odbm in order to run this new map on server?

When I try to run TFS only after swaping the map file it throws an error:

[Warning - IOMap::loadMap] This map needs an updated items.otb.
Map size: 2048x2048.
[Fatal - Map::loadMap] [x:943, y:949, z:7] Failed to create item.
So I check items/items.otb but it's a binary file, so no way to edit it.
TFS doesn't print anything to logs, so it's hard to deduct what should I fix.

Should I generate new items.otb from RME somehow? Am I missing something else?
I assume spawns, NPCs, cities in DB.

The map has been saved with a different item.otb than your TFS is using (I think), you could:

a) Go for another map or save the map in RME with the same .otb that your TFS is using.
b) Replace the item.otb in your data folder with the one that the map is saved with.

Good luck!

@Marshall_ Thanks for hints!
B is not an option since I don't have the item.otb file this map was using.

I've tried opening this map with RME (newest 3.7.0 from github), but it throws "Unsupported client version! (8)" - does it mean this Oasis map is not for 10.98 despite what author claims?

I'm able (well, with few errors) to open forgotten map with .dat and .spr files for 10.98 downloaded from here downloads.ots.me. But not Oasis.
Edit: I can open Oasis by importing it into new map.
Post automatically merged:

It got rid of one error but it still fails to create items. I guess it's because new map doesn't have any ground at these coordinates?

Map size: 2048x2048.
ERROR: Failed to load map
> No services running. The server is NOT online.

Last edited:
Have you changed the new map file name in config.lua?
If not then try it, open config and change the map name to your new map from data/world but write only the file name (!) without the otbm at the end.

No, it's fine, I've overwritten the old map with same filename.

I got it working, but in a brutal way: just erased every tile from the new map where TFS was complaining about items.

How do I make TFS run the map without having to clear tiles for items? In other words: which file do I have to edit to get rid of these errors?

No, it's fine, I've overwritten the old map with same filename.

I got it working, but in a brutal way: just erased every tile from the new map where TFS was complaining about items.

How do I make TFS run the map without having to clear tiles for items? In other words: which file do I have to edit to get rid of these errors?
Open RME, then click File>Import>And import map that you download
Now delete bugged item in this position and save map file :)

Now delete bugged item in this position and save map file :)
Yea, that's what I was doing so far, but what if I have 50 bugged items in whole map? Is there no other smarter (quicker) way?

That map may not be for 10.98 or
Yea, that's what I was doing so far, but what if I have 50 bugged items in whole map? Is there no other smarter (quicker) way?
Other than cleaning invalid tiles option in RME I'm afraid there is not.

Back