• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Installing & Using 7z

Red

Cyntara.org
Staff member
Global Moderator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello, I used to be a noob. I used to upload entire folders to my dedicated server because I thought only .tgz was available (which Windows never compressed correctly).

This small, simple, basic tutorial will show you how to install 7zip on your Linux machine via command line, and how to extract files. This is how I use it on Debian, and it will likely work for Ubuntu also. Anyway, there's not a lot to teach, but if you were uploading files like I was, this tutorial will be very helpful to you.

First, type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install p7zip-full

After installing, you can now extract 7z files. Upload your new file (compressed using 7z on Windows or whatever OS you're using) however you normally do, then go to the directory of the upload using cd /path/to/dir (but you should already know that) and type the following:

Code:
7z x yourFileName.7z

Case sensitive! Your terminal screen should fill up with extracting messages, and it should be extracted in a matter of seconds.

This method can save you a lot of time when uploading your server files & updates to your Linux machine. I understand this is a very primitive and basic tutorial, but hopefully it helps some people who didn't know.

Red

about win rar :D

Code:
apt-get install unrar

Code:
unrar x yourfilename.rar

Last edited:
That's another option, I guess the main point was to show people that you can use these kids of compression methods on Linux & extract them. Winrar works, but I think 7z compresses the best.

Red

Your right, 7z is the best encryption but rar and zip solutions might be handy too.

Code:
sudo apt-get install unzip
Code:
unzip blabla.zip

Code:
sudo apt-get install zip
Code:
zip /bla/bla

I'd like to note that GNU's tar has used LMZA2 (.tar.xz / .txz) as it's default (the -J short argument most commonly used the experienced, prior had meant bzip2) since v1.22 (Feb 2009) currently 1.25 (Nov 2010)

tar in Ubuntu family
Debian Squeeze tar

tarball: n. [very common; prob. based on the “tar baby” in the Uncle Remus folk tales] An archive, created with the Unix tar(1) utility, containing myriad related files. “Here, I'll just ftp you a tarball of the whole project.” Tarballs have been the standard way to ship around source-code distributions since the mid-1980s; in retrospect it seems odd that this term did not enter common usage until the late 1990s.

Random inclusion: Jargon file

Back