• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Keep server online without putty.exe [SOLVED]

demon088

#088 in the Horde
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello again OtLand!
I need some help with something I ignore completely...
I want to keep my server online without using the Putty.exe prompt window because I don't want to keep my pc turned on when I have a VPS.
When I run my server with the command './tfs' I need to keep the Putty.exe opened or the OTS closes. I'm newbie with such things because I had an automatic configuration, but now I can't run it because I have Ubuntu 15.04 and can't upgrade version of my VPS. I don't know how to setup these details.
Thanks for any help you could provide!

Try using tmux:
Code:
tmux is a terminal multiplexer: it enables a number of terminals to be created, accessed, and controlled from a single screen. tmux may be detached from a screen and continue running in the background, then later reattached.

Code:
tmux
./tfs
CTRL + B then D to detach

To re-attach just type tmux
to scroll type CTRL + B then [

You can do a lot more with tmux but that's a basic way to solve this issue.

What is the difference between screen and your command. Didnt know this one before. Only screen^°
'Screen' allows you to reconnect to a process if it's interactive while simply using '&' at the end of a command tells it to run as a background task.

apt-get install screen
screen -S otserv
cd otserv_folder
while true; do ./otserv; done
ctrl + a + d

screen -r otserv
-to enter the screen again to see server process

As previously stated, use the screen command.
"screen ./tfs" <-- this will open the screen/server
"CTRL + A +D" <--- this will detach from the screen.
"screen -list" <-- this will show you a list of screens + ids
"screen -r idhere" <--- this will reattach to the specified screen.

Thats not what Milice meant.

Run this command:
Code:
./tfs &

or use screen.
Thank you, now I understand what @Milice meant.

Thanks everyone for the help, now it works correctly. Now its my turn learning how to use those commands correctly. I tested every method you mentioned and all works by a little different way.
Thank you all again! OtLand rocks because of you guys!

Back