• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

laptop

cooldodo

Reaction score
what is a suitable laptop to open a server with a small map not a real map and can hold more than 200 player

Quad-core mobile processor with at least 6GB's of memory. Most laptops come with 6GB's or more nowadays.

Windows 8 uses more than 2GB's of RAM after updates. Windows 10 will use about the same.

Quad-core mobile processor with at least 6GB's of memory. Most laptops come with 6GB's or more nowadays.

Windows 8 uses more than 2GB's of RAM after updates. Windows 10 will use about the same.
ok thanks

my ping is 20 :D
by internet he means your bandwidth for example, and your speed. I can have a ping of 30 with 2 mb/s :p However if a player isn't in the same country as I am, his ping may be extremely high due to my internet speed. Also if you don't have unlimited bandwidth your screwed basically.

Not to mention that you will be EXTREMELY easy to ddos? Home internet doesn't have ddos protection

I host on a laptop. A laptop with a dual-core processor and 2GB's of RAM is not sufficient for properly running an operating system and hosting an OTS.

Some desktop dual-core processors may be sufficient enough, but you'll need at least 4GB's of memory.

I host on a laptop. A laptop with a dual-core processor and 2GB's of RAM is not sufficient for properly running an operating system and hosting an OTS.

Some desktop dual-core processors may be sufficient enough, but you'll need at least 4GB's of memory.
ok thanks

False.

For a small map, and by small I say under 20 megabytes, 2GB is enough, though I rarely see notebooks with under 4G nowadays.

Multiple cores do not help that much. TFS, for example, has a game thread that runs constantly, and two helper threads for networking and database, but those two can run concurrently as they are majorly I/O threads. I run TFS smoothly on a low-power CPU with a full real map (ORTS) and it uses less than 15% CPU, and half of it with my NPC idling patch (https://github.com/ranisalt/forgottenserver/tree/npc-idling). Of course, I have more memory, but OP says he will use a small map.

Player count does not affect memory usage by a significant factor, it mainly affects network performance.

OP, if you want to play alongside hosting, expect to have a high memory usage from the client and take that into account.

False.

For a small map, and by small I say under 20 megabytes, 2GB is enough, though I rarely see notebooks with under 4G nowadays.

Multiple cores do not help that much. TFS, for example, has a game thread that runs constantly, and two helper threads for networking and database, but those two can run concurrently as they are majorly I/O threads. I run TFS smoothly on a low-power CPU with a full real map (ORTS) and it uses less than 15% CPU, and half of it with my NPC idling patch (https://github.com/ranisalt/forgottenserver/tree/npc-idling). Of course, I have more memory, but OP says he will use a small map.

Player count does not affect memory usage by a significant factor, it mainly affects network performance.

OP, if you want to play alongside hosting, expect to have a high memory usage from the client and take that into account.

It's not false. I've disabled cores on my CPU and have tested everything. The OS, TFS, and whatever other apps require more than 2GB's of memory. TFS alone does not.

EDIT: Hosting with a dual-core CPU is possible, but it will not perform very well. TFS can even run on a single core (tested). My desktop processor can easily handle TFS with two cores enabled, but requires a minimum of at least 3GB's of memory for the included "forgottenserver.otbm" in TFS. This is a very small map with nothing on it.

Last edited:
False.

Although 2GB is plenty to run a small map, it's not plenty to run a modern OS and also the server and any services that are needed along with it.

Edit:
It's not false. I've disabled cores on my CPU and have tested everything. The OS and TFS require more than 2GB's of memory. TFS alone does not.

haha, beat me to it xD

Please, a "modern OS" (I assume you are talking about Windows) does **not** use that much, it buffers/caches that memory to speed up things when it sees there is memory available. You can test it: run Windows on a 1GB machine and it will use about 300 MB of memory, run on 4GB that memory and it will use about 1GB, but it's not really "using" it. Also there's pagination to help.

We are entering a too technical subject and I'm not sure OP will understand it.

Please, a "modern OS" (I assume you are talking about Windows) does **not** use that much, it buffers/caches that memory to speed up things when it sees there is memory available. You can test it: run Windows on a 1GB machine and it will use about 300 MB of memory, run on 4GB that memory and it will use about 1GB, but it's not really "using" it. Also there's pagination to help.

We are entering a too technical subject and I'm not sure OP will understand it.

That is absolutely ridiculous, lol. Of course it wouldn't use all of the memory if there was only 1GB. It's not designed to consume 100% of system resources. You are taking this way out of bounds, toward unrealistic. :D Do you know how slow and "laggy" Windows would be on such a system? It would be unusable, aside from opening the most basic of applications.

I'd be surprised if anyone even owned such a system.

That is absolutely ridiculous, lol. Of course it wouldn't use all of the memory if there was only 1GB. It's not designed to consume 100% of system resources. You are taking this way out of bounds, toward unrealistic. :D Do you know how slow and "laggy" Windows would be on such a system? It would be unusable, aside from opening the most basic of applications.

I'd be surprised if anyone even owned such a system.
I have 4 desktops and a laptop, and I don't own a single dimm less than 4GB xD

Back