• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AAC Making my own layout

MrVilhelm

Mafia Penguin
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
MrVilhelm
Hey everyone! 🤓🖐
Long time no see

I've been invested in webdevelopment for about 2 years now and Im getting quite good at it (IMO).
So coding the website + making the styling etc aint the problem. But the PHP and connecting the website to the database is.

Im feeling very overwhelmed by everything in the tibiacom and Kathrine layouts and cant seem to get around how they actually work.

Anyone wanna help pointing me in the correct direction? As of right now I've only been able to change backgrounds and texts. But what I dont get is how its structured, and how PHP works.
Would it be smarter to rebuild my own layout from scratch or should I try to edit a current one first? Anywho, all help is really appreciated!

If you feel extra kind you can add me on discord @ MrVilhelm(KONST)#9336 . So that we can discuss and dig deeper into the nerdyness! :D🤓

Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful day/night! ^^

Kathrine
BmL-n76Mh0g.jpg
Post automatically merged:

I can offer barter. I will give you the appearance of the site, and you will connect my server to the site. (not standard server 7.6)

Happy So Excited GIF by Sherlock Gnomes

Kathrine
View attachment 65923

I can offer barter. I will give you the appearance of the site, and you will connect my server to the site. (not standard server 7.6)

Happy So Excited GIF by Sherlock Gnomes
Thanks a lot for responding. Im sorry but I dont really get the barter. My problem is currently that I have no clue how PHP work, Im not looking for a finished website, I really want to learn and build my own knowledge ^^

Last edited:
2 years of web developement and you can't get around basics like "how php work"?
What AAC you want to created layout for? MyAAC? Gesior? Znote?
Or... you want to simply create new AAC, not just layout for existing one?
I'm confused... Figure out what you want to do. Then ask for help.

If you want to create layout for existing aac, you don't need php (just html and css is enough to create layout (frontend), then put content like $main_content from gesior into it and you're done).
If you want to create new aac, you can also use different languages and technologies than php. It just happens that popular aacs like gesior or myaac are created in php. But your's doesn't have to be. Good example would be ElectroAAC: ElectroAAC v0.0.1 (https://otland.net/threads/electroaac-v0-0-1.279562/#post-2685498) (written in Typescript and uses Nuxtjs + Vuetify on the Frontend and Adonisjs on the Backend)

2 years of web developement and you can't get around basics like "how php work"?
Yea I've really never worked with databases. I do understand how the website works its more about how the backend works. And whats weird (for me) about PHP is all the files included. Like "config" etc. Im used to only working with ex "index.html + script.js + style.css". I have no clue what I would use the config files for etc.
What AAC you want to created layout for? MyAAC? Gesior? Znote?
Or... you want to simply create new AAC, not just layout for existing one?
I'm confused... Figure out what you want to do. Then ask for help.
Thats actually a good question, Im currently working in MyAAC but Im not sure if thats the best option. And as stated in the title I want to create a layout :)
If you want to create layout for existing aac, you don't need php (just html and css is enough to create layout (frontend), then put content like $main_content from gesior into it and you're done).
If you want to create new aac, you can also use different languages and technologies than php. It just happens that popular aacs like gesior or myaac are created in php. But your's doesn't have to be. Good example would be ElectroAAC: ElectroAAC v0.0.1 (https://otland.net/threads/electroaac-v0-0-1.279562/#post-2685498) (written in Typescript and uses Nuxtjs + Vuetify on the Frontend and Adonisjs on the Backend)
Hmm but the thing is that I want to recreate the entire layout, I dont want it to look at all or even function like the current tibiacom/kathrine works. I have other ambitions. And that thing about using diffrent languages, thats actually a really good idea. Thanks a lot, I didnt even consider that. But what would database service would I use? I mean, currently Im using XAMPP and from what I understand it does only support PHP.

And as youre stating Im a bit confused (Im really not sure what Im doing). And Im sorry about the confusing question.

The idea of creating my own AAC is quite interesting, would that be a crazy amount of extra work?

If you already have the basics of HTML & CSS and have been playing with frontend for a while I'd say its a good starting point, if you want to go all in and recreate things your way :) Things take time, but focus on reading some about backend for the database and what language you feel is going to work for you with your current understanding of web development.

I personally think PHP is a mess, if you like it then go for it, else do some research to see whats out there that you can use. I am sure you will manage!

In such case, I would go for creating a layout, and don't care about aac, php, databases at all. You just simply create new website from scratch in html/css/js/any other tech/languages/frameworks.
As for xampp, you don't need to use it. You can use it for database, apache, php/perl. But you don't have to. You can use those services without xampp. You can also setup database and apache with xampp, but write your website with other technologies, and without php/xampp.
Just start developing a website, without any database connections etc. Just frontend.
Then, move your website to layouts (for gesior) / templates (for myaac), change index.html to index.php, change some stuff in your index file to be dynamic.
E.g. from static players count:
echo '<div id="players" style="display: inline;">420</div><br>Players Online';
To players count generated by php in aac:
echo '<div id="players" style="display: inline;">' . $status['players'] . '</div><br>Players Online';
Examples you can take from existing layouts.

And thats basically it.
To sum it in bullet points:
  • create website without care about xampp, php or database, in any tech you like, might be plain html&css&js, might be something completely different
  • if your site look is ready, move it into layouts/templates directory within aac directory structure
  • update your index file to use dynamic data from aac you're using (e.g. $status['players'] for players count in myaac, or $main_content for content in gesior)
And its done. Your website will be running like before, with php, mysql etc on xampp. Just layout will be different.

PHP can be messy, and 99% of the time, devs mix HTML and PHP together. Although this was it's intended use, professionals tend to create a clean organised PHP framework that you can load in html modules without even mixing. For large scale projects, this is essential.

As you have already been studying front-end languages. Learning the basics of PHP will be a breeze. Focus on things like $_GET and $POST, and then learn about $_SESSIONS. For database querying, I would suggest to learn PDO which gives you the option of switching database types with ease, and prepared statements for security.

I would personally stick with xampp to learn for now. It's easily configurable.

I personally think PHP is a mess, if you like it then go for it, else do some research to see whats out there that you can use. I am sure you will manage!
Yea truly it feels like a mess trying to understand XD Yea Im too new for all this so I think Im just sticking around the messy XAMPP + PHP, feels like the safest way to go even tho its messy. Haha 😅
If you already have the basics of HTML & CSS and have been playing with frontend for a while I'd say its a good starting point, if you want to go all in and recreate things your way :) Things take time, but focus on reading some about backend for the database and what language you feel is going to work for you with your current understanding of web development.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement! Thats for sure the goal eventually! Yea reading 😅🤓 Well I actually got military service to do and not allowed to use phones etc when Im at it so might invest in some backend books 💪
In such case, I would go for creating a layout, and don't care about aac, php, databases at all. You just simply create new website from scratch in html/css/js/any other tech/languages/frameworks.
As for xampp, you don't need to use it. You can use it for database, apache, php/perl. But you don't have to. You can use those services without xampp. You can also setup database and apache with xampp, but write your website with other technologies, and without php/xampp.
Just start developing a website, without any database connections etc. Just frontend.
Then, move your website to layouts (for gesior) / templates (for myaac), change index.html to index.php, change some stuff in your index file to be dynamic.
E.g. from static players count:
echo '<div id="players" style="display: inline;">420</div><br>Players Online';
To players count generated by php in aac:
echo '<div id="players" style="display: inline;">' . $status['players'] . '</div><br>Players Online';
Examples you can take from existing layouts.

And thats basically it.
To sum it in bullet points:
  • create website without care about xampp, php or database, in any tech you like, might be plain html&css&js, might be something completely different
  • if your site look is ready, move it into layouts/templates directory within aac directory structure
  • update your index file to use dynamic data from aac you're using (e.g. $status['players'] for players count in myaac, or $main_content for content in gesior)
And its done. Your website will be running like before, with php, mysql etc on xampp. Just layout will be different.
Holy why didnt I think about this.... Thats an excelent idea. I will get to it instantly! Thanks a lot for youre support m8 😍

PHP can be messy, and 99% of the time, devs mix HTML and PHP together. Although this was it's intended use, professionals tend to create a clean organised PHP framework that you can load in html modules without even mixing. For large scale projects, this is essential.

As you have already been studying front-end languages. Learning the basics of PHP will be a breeze. Focus on things like $_GET and $POST, and then learn about $_SESSIONS. For database querying, I would suggest to learn PDO which gives you the option of switching database types with ease, and prepared statements for security.

I would personally stick with xampp to learn for now. It's easily configurable.
Haha yea I truly feel like youre correct, it seems very messy from the tutorials I've watched. Yea I think sticking to PHP and XAMPP is the safest but would be cool moving on the better more advanced languages + databases. 😁 Well thats for the future!

Thanks a lot to all responses, you all are truly amazing! 🙏

Back