• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Medivia and their updates

Helaxo

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Content wise it's the best. But after the graphic update I stopped playing. I tried a few times with the old 7.4 sprite pack and it worked, but now it's basically removed.
Also now they added buying 100x runes in shop (lol). Iryont is too stubborn to revert the changes and just ignores the fact why the player base is declining.

I reckon Medivia would have aloooot more players if they didn't change the graphics. What do you think?

I like the way Medivia changed their game, but it's not Tibia anymore.
For me it's a great game now, if you want old school feeling with modern features it's ok.
For a "7.4 old school tibia clone" there are a lot of options now out there.

Medivia would have a lot of more players nowadays if they had facilitated the community to make a classic sprite pack as soon as that graphical overhaul was implemented 3 years ago. The game was at its peak (player count wise) back then, and this sudden graphical overhaul caused many people to quit. New graphics were terrible and felt rushed, and at least for me they made the game unplayable and I quit, as did all my friends.

That being said, I can say that Saphron (Medivia's main spriter) has improved infinitely compared compared to back then , and now I actually prefer the new graphics. I can say without a doubt that Medivia's graphics are better than Tibia's nowadays, and the HD sprites are beautiful.

The "core" is still there, as tarantonio said: an old school game with modern features. The 100x runes in shop are extremely irrelevant, they're incredibly expensive and just an option for the most extreme of the extreme pay2win players. These were implemented to tackle the rampant black market that exists, were players (mainly venezuelans) trade their runes for rl cash, so it's not like you couldn't buy runes before. I'd rather have Medivia have this money so that they can continue to improve the game than some random venezuelans.

There's an HD classic sprite pack available on the game's wiki, by the way.

Attachments

Last edited:
Medivia moved in their own direction to create their own game. It seems like a healthy move for a long-term server. It doesn't seem very interesting to run a vanilla 7.4 server for a decade.

What stops the community from creating their own sprite pack? Is it not allowed or possible to modify sprites in client?

The sprite pack on the wiki doesn’t change outfits though last time I checked 2~ months ago. And because after every patch they do they scramble the Id’s which caused the sprite pack to become unusable all the time, and it is too much work to fix it every time. This is what I latest heard. Iryont is too high up in the clouds to care about old sprites anymore. I know many of you like it. But check the player decline - majority doesn’t and quit :/
Post automatically merged:

People are blinded by nostalgia
Yeah otherwise we could play for example Zezenia, same feeling as today’s Medivia. I.e no feeling at all :)

Yeah otherwise we could play for example Zezenia, same feeling as today’s Medivia. I.e no feeling at all :)
Well, this comparision makes no sense at all. The only thing in common is a custom sprite sheet.

You can't satisfy everyone :(

Well, this comparision makes no sense at all. The only thing in common is a custom sprite sheet.

You can't satisfy everyone :(
No but when Iryont changed all graphics it was when Medivia peaked. He suffered from Greatness Madness and thought he would try to "make his own game" when really ppl just wanted to play Tibia along with all other nice updates they did :) When he slowly turned it into his "own" game those players just quit and slowly he went further and changed spells, monsters and everything. He will end up with some players that like this and majority will be gone. He literally made the same mistake CipSoft did. Inside his little bubble of yes-sayers with tunnel vision of what people really wanted.

No but when Iryont changed all graphics it was when Medivia peaked. He suffered from Greatness Madness and thought he would try to "make his own game" when really ppl just wanted to play Tibia along with all other nice updates they did :) When he slowly turned it into his "own" game those players just quit and slowly he went further and changed spells, monsters and everything. He will end up with some players that like this and majority will be gone. He literally made the same mistake CipSoft did. Inside his little bubble of yes-sayers with tunnel vision of what people really wanted.

hhhhh

maybe 7.6 pvp was good but the graphic looks like my sh*t
peoples should be happy about the graphic updates
looks way better and cleaner
about the pvp idk if alot has changed but you guys should stop to cry about everything

Doesn't matter if he makes the graphic even 3D. People didn't start Medivia to play Zezenia 2.0. People started on Medivia to play Tibia. That's the whole point. When it is no longer Tibia anymore, players will disappear slowly like they are doing since the update. Just look at the statistics - it's just a fact that majority doesn't like it.

Doesn't matter if he makes the graphic even 3D. People didn't start Medivia to play Zezenia 2.0. People started on Medivia to play Tibia. That's the whole point. When it is no longer Tibia anymore, players will disappear slowly like they are doing since the update. Just look at the statistics - it's just a fact that majority doesn't like it.

Then what would be your solution to avoid getting problems from cipsoft?
Theres a reason why the graphic has been changed as I know

I'm a old school player of RL Tibia, and I'm the perfect example of what all of you are saying, I only play those servers 7.4 for the nostalgia.
But... I like the way Medivia it's evolving their game. It's not only that they improved the graphics, they have a good lore behind the new updates, you can feel the nostalgia on some places that are slightly changed, and the new features implemented are oriented to improve the gameplay in my opinion.
Most of the people who are leaving don't like the changes are old players who don't want to start again to grind or learn new things.
I only play Medivia now from time to time and it's the only server I feel that it's not going to dissapear in the near future.

As I said in my very first post, Medivia is awesome content-wise. New areas, new monsters and secrets and quest is VITAL for a server to survive long-term. It is needed for new mysteries and to explore new areas and make new quests.

But completely revamping graphics, changing spells and monsters, outfits etc is alienating their core audience. Please do me a favor and google "Zezenia" and check pictures. Right now Medivia is no different than just logging in on Zezenia and play that game. If we would want to play another game we would. And the stastistics speak for itself that it was a bad mistake.

Also I doubt it was legal reasons, otherwise there are ALOT of servers that would be taken down. It's just an attempt to "create" his own game. It was a bold move but it backfired hard and with his stubborness it's hard to swallow his pride.
The only thing he would need to do is making an OPTION of using 7.4 sprites for those who wants it and problem would be solved. (The wiki sprites doesn't work anymore which is why more and more players quit).

As I said in my very first post, Medivia is awesome content-wise. New areas, new monsters and secrets and quest is VITAL for a server to survive long-term. It is needed for new mysteries and to explore new areas and make new quests.

But completely revamping graphics, changing spells and monsters, outfits etc is alienating their core audience. Please do me a favor and google "Zezenia" and check pictures. Right now Medivia is no different than just logging in on Zezenia and play that game. If we would want to play another game we would. And the stastistics speak for itself that it was a bad mistake.

Also I doubt it was legal reasons, otherwise there are ALOT of servers that would be taken down. It's just an attempt to "create" his own game. It was a bold move but it backfired hard and with his stubborness it's hard to swallow his pride.
The only thing he would need to do is making an OPTION of using 7.4 sprites for those who wants it and problem would be solved. (The wiki sprites doesn't work anymore which is why more and more players quit).
I remember Ironyt once talked about this situation, and he said something along the lines of "There were signs of looming legal issues with Cipsoft". Remember that at the time Medivia had almost 30% of Tibia's players, talking about online numbers, so it was kind of a unique situation and certainly the server was at risk of being taken down. No coincidence that graphics got changed almost overnight.

To be honest it was necessary, if I was the owner I would have done the same if my OT had grown this much. But as I said before, Ironyt should have given the option to the community of making their 7.4 sprite pack from day one, and Medivia wouldn't have lost all those players. It's a win-win situation for him, he has nothing to do with Tibia's graphics anymore (as its just an unofficial pack) and the community can continue to play with the old graphics if they want to do so.

He eventually allowed it, but it was already too late as many people had quit.

Yeah for sure he could fix those 7.4 sprites but he said to me in PM that "I don't give a fuck about old sprites" and that is what I call greatness madness. Totally unable to understand who and what players are playing his servers. Tibia players. He thought he could take over the world by "making his own game". And no he didn't battle legal issues. No OT server have battled real legal issues only other server owners have been trying to scare other OT owners with faking CipSoft letters etc in order to take their competition down. There are post about it here on OTLand.

All in all Medivia's downfall was as usual the owner himself thinking way too high of himself and can't swallow his pride. We will see what the future holds!

Yeah for sure he could fix those 7.4 sprites but he said to me in PM that "I don't give a fuck about old sprites" and that is what I call greatness madness. Totally unable to understand who and what players are playing his servers. Tibia players. He thought he could take over the world by "making his own game". And no he didn't battle legal issues. No OT server have battled real legal issues only other server owners have been trying to scare other OT owners with faking CipSoft letters etc in order to take their competition down. There are post about it here on OTLand.

All in all Medivia's downfall was as usual the owner himself thinking way too high of himself and can't swallow his pride. We will see what the future holds!
Welp, if he really said that then its a bad move on his part. There even was a guy or two who converted all the old outfits and other old sprites to HD, so that they were compatible with the new client, but as you said the updates scramble them up and they stop working.

I for one don't care much about using either the old / new sprites, Saphron has really done splendid work lately, BUT there are many people who still do . When I tried bringing two of my friends back to Medivia the first thing they both asked me was "can you play with the old graphics?"

So the only thing that keeps people apart from Medivia are the old 7.4 sprites?
I don't understand that.

Why don't you own a old "only phone" nokia instead of an iphone or a newer samsung for example?

Should come check out my server if you like the nostalgic feel. :p I have sprites in use from as far back as v3

I think just after so long they're wanting to take their game another way.

I've seen Zezenia as well. Those games that have their own unique features become their own games, even if using TFS. It's not the same...

Back