• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My first program, need help

renderer2.png
on a side note, where did you find this map? :p

I found it on the downloads section, I'm going to commit my source code, I'm not sure when. I'm sorry development has fallen off, it has nothing to do with technical details, just lost time to work on it. I did not end up leaving my job as I planned, I was told I could telecommute from Denver when I get there. So I will not be getting the free time I wanted to work on it, nor the motivation as a code sample to show future employers. With that said, I'm still going to keep working on it, I'm just not promising quick updates.

I found it on the downloads section, I'm going to commit my source code, I'm not sure when. I'm sorry development has fallen off, it has nothing to do with technical details, just lost time to work on it. I did not end up leaving my job as I planned, I was told I could telecommute from Denver when I get there. So I will not be getting the free time I wanted to work on it, nor the motivation as a code sample to show future employers. With that said, I'm still going to keep working on it, I'm just not promising quick updates.
If you would like some help, I'd be interested in aiding you developing it. I feel like this is a fresh start for all the map editor programs, and you have the ability to fix all the nasty things inside SimOne and RME, and make the whole thing 100x better!

Yea if your willing to learn, I'd be willing to teach. Wpf does have a high learning curve tho

About 8 months late, but I promised I'd release the source for this: https://github.com/Tidus123746/Wpf-Map-Editor
And if anyone wants to play with the compiled version: http://www.filedropper.com/athenaeditor_2

Requirements:
.Net 4.6.3

Source Req:
Visual Studio 2015

As with everything on the internet, run your own virus checks on this before you run it. I compiled it myself, but you shouldn't take my word that its clean.

I may start developing this again at a slow pace. Don't count on it getting finished, editors in general are a lot of work. If anyone is interested in aiding with development, I would be willing to teach you (assuming you have some programming starting point).

===================================================
How to use the editor
===================================================
Brush Categories:

Raw - your regular raw from the other editors, these don't have auto border or anything fancy, just single click

Palette - These allow you to form your own category of brushes where you can drag and drop from raw, ground brushes, any other brush you could want into a specified set. An example of this would be the brushes you use when doing a nature set, or a cave set. To create a new palette category there is a menu item in the main menu for creating them.

Extended - These are all your brushes with auto border or are generally more involved than your raw brushes. Here will be the ground brushes, wall brushes, doodad, and composition brushes. To create a new ground brush, wall brush, doodad ect, right click in the list box under the desired category and you should get a context menu asking to create a new brush of that type.

=====================================================
Known Problems:
Renderer
- Current renderer uses image caching that uses a lot of physical space on the hard drive and a lot of read writes. This provides decent performance when fully zoomed out, but takes up physical memory which is gross. Its also slower when its still building the cache. The correct implementation is probably using DirectX via SharpDX and doing the rendering all in real time as you scroll. This would probably 2 weeks to a month to implement and quite frankly bores me. The renderer in place is good enough for me so its not a priority.
- The image caching doesn't associate the cache with a map, nor does it use a check sum to verify a map has been modified and the cache needs cleared. Because of this, if you load the editor up and start a new map, or edit a different map you will see a ghost of your last map from the cache. This is a problem I do intend to fix.

I/O
- Only supports 1 version that is hard coded in atm. I think it is ~8.6 although I'm not sure. The good news, all the versions seem to have the same I/O structure so adding them in should be a lot less work than getting the inital version working.

Spawns / Houses
- Not supported, no plans to support for the time being

Brushes

Ground Brushes
- Most of the functionality is implemented. It should be a noticeable step up from RME atm, although there is definitely room for improvement.

Wall Brushes
- Again most of the functionality is in place and a large step up from RME imo.

Doodad Brushes
- First pass implementation, could use refinement
Composition Brushes (Brushes that are pastes of more than one item with optional directions (catapult)
- Needs placed before Rotation (key press R) works. Needs looked at

TLDR: There is a lot of work to be done, however there is a lot of potential with it right now. It has a couple pieces in place that are, in my opinion, a lot more user friendly than RME or SimOnes.

Last edited:
Made some progress on the editor. I have 8.54, 8.6, 10.41, and 10.98 running in the editor. The save still has a couple bugs I need to work out but its 95% of the way there.

I got my random brush working and palettes working again along with a lot of performance optimizations and a handful of bug fixes.

I added a tile stack display. You will see it when you don't have a brush selected and you select a tile. Right now I don't have re ordering in place, but that is planned. This allows you to look at all the items on a tile, it is bound to the selected item on the map. You will see the selection change as you change the selected item in the item stack list box.

Tile_Stack.png

Edit:
Not too sure anyone even looks at this thread.. but another small update. I have flags mostly working, they still need some additional work, icons and they need to be incorporated into the undo stack. On top of that, I added in controls to toggle auto bordering, and the mouse over position is displayed at the bottom of the map, and the selected tile's position in its context window.
Update.png

Last edited:
Don't really remember the Athena login credentials..

Did some more work on this.

I changed the random brush to allow it be based off brushes and not just item types, this allows you to use composition brushes inside your random brush for large rocks and such.
I have 80% of directX rendering working, I just don't have item highlights working, which is obviously needed to actually use that method.
I changed up custom palettes so that you can specify the top and bottom level of the palette, this should make the palettes completely customizable
Changed all brushes to export as xml instead of binary so that it is human readable and editable. This should also help to maintain backwards compatibility since it is easier to see what is going on with xml.

If anyone is bored and wants to try it, I would like some feedback on the bordering system for grounds.

The version is hard coded at 10.98 right now, it should save and load 10.98 fine. However, it is running on wpf default rendering since I don't have directX finished yet and would render a large map very slowly unless you are zoomed in.

Athena Editor 0.1
MEGA

The source code is at the git repo is the same as the original link and has been updated

This is awesome dude. Glad people are making new tools and learning. I hope it doesn't "die".

This is awesome dude. Glad people are making new tools and learning. I hope it doesn't "die".
Thanks, if you have some free time, download it and give it a try :). I would love some feedback on the general direction its going in. All projects die, its just a matter of time. If you read some of my previous posts I even state that its unlikely this gets finished. Development has been a month or two on, a couple off. I am motivated a little bit to finish it simply from the time I've spent on it. I wouldn't like to see that go to waste. I do think its probably in a more complete state than fallen's editor, and TGYoshi's both of which have been long dead. My goal is obviously to get some wide spreadish adoption, if I can achieve that then the opensource community should help out in keeping it alive. The good news, I don't think I need 100% feature completion versus remeres to achieve that. A lot of the features I've seen added to RME recently (last 2 or so years) are mostly just fluff in my opinion and don't really help in mappings. Therefore I don't think they are required to get people to use it. Ex. the map animations, the ingame box, exporting specific sections of a minimap ect.

EDIT: I have moved this thread to Discussions, consider this thread dead.

Last edited:
That's your biggest complaint with RME lol
rme so if you use borders for simple things like say grass i want to position them in different ways to the auto layer or randomly cnonect them so remember that say north border will either need north east connection or northwest connection these like in different shapes and sizes rather than autoborder doing shitty job something simple like L letter from borders maybe i letter with the dot so u understand me more :D
example.PNG

Back