• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

MySQL vs SQLite

What is the best data storage system? sqlite or mysql?

• Total voters
@Tal's earlier post

So you mean that it takes longer for SQLite to load during servsave?

I can't really seem to understand the difference between those. Yet i find Mysql fast easy and advanced = <3

//Massen

HELP MYsql NEEDED!

First, i need a guy to learn me to use MYsql :)
and #2, where can i get a TFS ? :/
cinda hard to find :(

SQLite is like and XML SQL Database whitch is a kind of offline database, but its easier to edit,
MySQL (which i prefer) is more advanced, more features

MySQL is faster in most cases. The only case where it is slower would be when connecting to an off-site database with a huge amount of latency on the connection. It does; however, require a connection to the internet (in the case of an off-site server) and having the server up at all times. This makes it much more difficult for those who often suffer from comptardedness. It's also not too easy to set up.

SQLite is still quite fast, and it doesn't require any work to start using. SQLite is usually the choice for people who struggle to set up a MySQL server and database, and also ideal for small-scale tests.

Last edited:
You don't need mysql's extra features for an otserver, it mainly slows it down. For the tasks an otserver needs to do in a database, sqlite would probably better than mysql because it's sometimes twice as fast for common operations.

Sqlite is easier, faster, uses less memory, uses less cpu time and is good enough for even a big otserver.

I say sqlite for ppl who dont wanna host a website the only thing is that i dont no how to add gm's on sqlite =D

MySQL is much faster, aside for extreme conditions with connection latency. It also has security issues for newbs who don't know how to fix them., SQLite doesn't have these because it can only be accessed from localhost.

If you have experience with database administration, MySQL is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, SQLite would be a good way to learn the very basics. Anyway, MySQL is the overall best database choice in almost any case; that's why it's so popular.

There's also PostgreSQL, which is pretty similar to MySQL. It's a little slower in most benchmarks though, and I don't know much else about it.

Last edited:
You don't need mysql's extra features for an otserver, it mainly slows it down. For the tasks an otserver needs to do in a database, sqlite would probably better than mysql because it's sometimes twice as fast for common operations.

Sqlite is easier, faster, uses less memory, uses less cpu time and is good enough for even a big otserver.

For many things, yes.
INSERTs (saving players skills, items, spells, etc) are pretty goddamn slow though.
mysql:
INSERT: 29.12858s
SELECT one result: 51.60862s
SELECT multiple results: 0.820717s
Advanced test: 41.86564s

sqlite:
INSERT: 1706.281s
SELECT one result: 007.51007s
SELECT multiple results: 000.83878s
Advanced test: 005.29901s
These are wrzasq's benchmarks. The original tests were done with 100x fewer iterations for SQLite, so I moved the decimal point back twice on SQLite tests to compensate.
SQLite also uses much less memory.

Back