• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Necronia - Discussion

What is the PVP like? Can I find and kill anyone who I dislike?

Right now in the beta, the old pvp system is still in place, where you're protected until level 45 and then you can roll up to anyone and waste them, but it will be reworked on the official release to include a choice for players when creating a character:
  • Non-pvp character: Can not be attacked and can not participate in pvp combat by attacking or healing participants.
  • Pvp character: Protected while on Bawfuria, afterwards, it's open PVP for these guys.
Note: The skull/frag system will differ from the current one as well, where PKing will earn you bad reputation and you may be banned from cities, chased by guards and whatnot. On the other hand, some NPC might try to hire you as an assassin if you are a reputable killer. We're also working on a jail system and whatnot. Can't post too much information about this stuff right now as it's still deep in development.

Right now in the beta, the old pvp system is still in place, where you're protected until level 45 and then you can roll up to anyone and waste them, but it will be reworked on the official release to include a choice for players when creating a character:
  • Non-pvp character: Can not be attacked and can not participate in pvp combat by attacking or healing participants.
  • Pvp character: Protected while on Bawfuria, afterwards, it's open PVP for these guys.
Note: The skull/frag system will differ from the current one as well, where PKing will earn you bad reputation and you may be banned from cities, chased by guards and whatnot. On the other hand, some NPC might try to hire you as an assassin if you are a reputable killer. We're also working on a jail system and whatnot. Can't post too much information about this stuff right now as it's still deep in development.

Sounds like there's alot going on at once.
How have you guys been able to fund this?

I like this, HOWEVER there is something that immidiately came to my mind: If non-PvP and PvP players are playing on the same world (what I assume), there would be the problem, that non PvP characters could clear quests for thise with pvp enabled or non PvPs can pg where PvPs can't. While I don't think it really matters wheter a non Pvp is high level (as he cant participate in open pvp anyway), I see a problem when they can clear quests for PvP players who otherwhise might be at a high risk doing those (e.g. due to skull or being hunted).

Anyway I don't know if that's really something to consider or not...I just wanted to point this out :)

I like this, HOWEVER there is something that immidiately came to my mind: If non-PvP and PvP players are playing on the same world (what I assume), there would be the problem, that non PvP characters could clear quests for thise with pvp enabled or non PvPs can pg where PvPs can't. While I don't think it really matters wheter a non Pvp is high level (as he cant participate in open pvp anyway), I see a problem when they can clear quests for PvP players who otherwhise might be at a high risk doing those (e.g. due to skull or being hunted).

Anyway I don't know if that's really something to consider or not...I just wanted to point this out :)

My biggest issue isen't with clearing quests, cuz theyre all characters right? And the hard quests will be done together... What WILL be a problem is non-pvp's have alot of power. They can annoy you at hunting spawns without you being able to defend yourself.

my suggestion is make 1 server pvp and 1 serv nonpvp or stick to pvp for now and make a poll

I would also opt for seperated pvp and non-pvp worlds. Or if you want to keep the whole lot together open pvp for everyone. It's nice that you are considering to have them both play in harmony together, but I just can't see that working out.

My biggest issue isen't with clearing quests, cuz theyre all characters right? And the hard quests will be done together... What WILL be a problem is non-pvp's have alot of power. They can annoy you at hunting spawns without you being able to defend yourself.

my suggestion is make 1 server pvp and 1 serv nonpvp or stick to pvp for now and make a poll
You think they didn't kept that in mind? Probably they will give high punishments for those behaviours.

Open PvP can be both good and bad. It can be good because it lets you kill annoying people that block spawns, or cause unnecessary trouble.
It's a bad thing because it can't protect you from power abusers or if you're someone who just wants to enjoy the RPG aspect of the server to the fullest without being killed.

I don't think having 2 seperate worlds is a good idea and will most likely leave the Non-PvP world with a very low population which is no fun. It's best to just think long and hard to
create a balanced PvP system.

Sounds like there's alot going on at once.
How have you guys been able to fund this?

Well that's the thing, we've pretty much been working without funds for 3 years. Ever since the beta started, we get some funding now and then from people buying beta keys, and we spend that on website and host maintenance as well as other necessary resources.

I would also opt for seperated pvp and non-pvp worlds. Or if you want to keep the whole lot together open pvp for everyone. It's nice that you are considering to have them both play in harmony together, but I just can't see that working out.
Open PvP can be both good and bad. It can be good because it lets you kill annoying people that block spawns, or cause unnecessary trouble.
It's a bad thing because it can't protect you from power abusers or if you're someone who just wants to enjoy the RPG aspect of the server to the fullest without being killed.

I don't think having 2 seperate worlds is a good idea and will most likely leave the Non-PvP world with a very low population which is no fun. It's best to just think long and hard to
create a balanced PvP system.

Regarding the PVP question - when we first started thinking about this, we had a number of different ideas for it:
  • No pvp at all, only RPG PVE.
  • Pvp + Nonpvp with choice.
  • Open pvp with new regulations and rules
  • Pvp only in pvp arenas and events
  • 2 days a week will be open-pvp, 5 days are non-pvp
etc.

There was a poll on our old forum and players pretty much voted out for the Pvp+NonPvp solution, so people can choose how they want to play at the very beginning.
I like this as well, because it gives you a choice that is your own, and you can't complain later about someone killing you or some guild having too much power if you chose to participate in the PVP world and be a part of all that.
On the other hand, if you would only like to play the game and follow the story, you can choose non-pvp and not have to worry about getting owned in the middle of a hunt or so.

Like some of you mentioned, this brings up certain issues which will be addressed and regulated, and hopefully it will work out for the best. In the end, the entire gameplay pushes players to work in an union against the evils of the world, otherwise, there will be no world at all (the way you know it). So here are some of the plans we'll be implementing into the game a bit later in the beta for testing:

PVP will be very strictly regulated in civilized zones of the game (think towns, cities, anything with guards and any kind of territory owned and ruled by some government - be it elves or humans or even outlaws, etc).
PVP punishments will be strict, but I don't think they will ever amount to a ban, like in RL tibia. However, PKing will earn you a certain bad reputation, so what happens is the following:

• You are pretty much banned from the city whose citizens you have continuously slain. (Guards will restlessly chase you and murder you)
  • An eye will be kept on you by third-party entities for possible punishment OR job opportunity.
  • Creating adversary relations with players may lead to them putting a bounty on your head and making you a global target.
  • In serial killer cases, upon a server save, your name could end up on a local government's wanted list (think like a fully advertised and system-rewarded bounty is now on your head)
  • You, of course, face the troubles that come with killing people (maybe he has friends that will come to retaliate, maybe his guild will hunt you down, maybe he will put a bounty on you, etc)
Jail time will also vary, from 30 minutes to hours or even days. Serving jail time will reduce your frags and somewhat let you redeem yourself, but continuously getting jailed will mess your life up.
There are some activities in the jail that you can take part in and prove that you are a "good inmate" which will lead to reduced and jailtime.

Non pvp characters can not participate in PVP or aid PVP participants in any way. They can do the "annoy/follow you until you lose mood for playing the game" thing, but that will be punishable by Necronia rules (and a bannable offense).
All it takes is for someone to record you and provide proof that you're doing it, and you'll receive a ban. So, to review the possible situations and outcomes where hostility towards 2 players (or groups of players) arise, here:
  • A PVP entity is an aggressive party in a conflict against a Non-PVP entity. Possible ways to resolve this:
    • PVP entity can annoy/follow the person (and get banned for it)
    • You can talk it out like people and find a mutually beneficial solution for your problem.
  • A Non-PVP entity is an aggressive party in a conflict against a Non-PVP entity. Possible ways to resolve this:
    • Same as above.
  • A Non-PVP entity is an aggressive party in a conflict against a PVP entity. Possible ways to resolve this:
    • Same as above.
  • A PVP entity is an aggressive party in a conflict against another PVP entity. Possible ways to resolve this:
    • You can intimidate your opponent into submission by demonstrating power and the fact that you are able to attack them, since you're both a PVP entity.
    • You can actually kill your opponent. (And agree to suffer the consequences, whichever they may be)
    • You can annoy/follow the person (Unlike previous 2 situations, both entities are PVP entities here, and this is not a bannable offense because either one of them can get rid of another by killing them)
    • You can talk it out like people and find a mutually beneficial solution for your problem.
I would specifically like to come back to this paragraph by @Damon:

Why not? The ability to participate in PVP (or not participate in it) does not affect the power of any player in terms of stats and character abilities, and they are all equal people when solving a quest. Sure, PVP players are always under a constant threat of being killed when hunting outside, but this is something that they literally chose to be a part of. They knew what they were getting into, and they wanted to play the game this way, then it should also be their problem and their concern to find ways to defend themselves in such situation. We all know what being a PVP character constitutes for your future in the game, so you better go in with a plan, with some friends or a guild.

Does one type of player have advantage over another?

Let's see. PVP players, like I said, are under constant pressure and threat of being killed. It would not be fair to go down the same path without any kind of pressure or threat, as a non-pvp character, and be equally rewarded.
This is why it was agreed by players that we do the following - Non-PVP players will receive reduced EXP from monsters (quest EXP will remain the same).
A small price to pay for a lifetime of safety from malevolent player-killers, I'm sure you'll agree.

So there is this sense of balance here:

PVP:
Pro: You can kill others
Con: Others can kill you

Pro: You get more EXP than non-pvp guys
Con: You are under a constant threat of dying to another player and losing that EXP.

Non-PVP:
Pro: You can't be killed by players
Con: You can't harm another player even if you wanted to

Pro: You can play safely under a guarantee that you will never be 'hunted', pushed out of your hunting zone, threatened, etc.
Con: You get less EXP than PVP players.

And to end this post, it is worth to mention that there will be some events where PVP is key, so Non-pvp participants of said events will temporarily be able to attack other event participants (and therefore still experience PVP in a way).

Seems like you thought this well through :) I have no more complaints... just wanted to point this out :p

image.png

How to be a dumb shadowstriker:

take a screenshot - forget the time of invisibility - die

Back