• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Official OtLand Mapping Contest] August - City Gates

Which piece was your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pero. Please start making your contest signup thread. I want to map a contest so bad. :p
Its called monthly contest for a reason :p

Edit: I also think two new rules should be added. Only ingame screens is the first one. The second one is that if the founder of the thread should say how much pictures people should send (insteed of the chooise of how much you will send).
First: Some people don't want to have the trouble to set up a sql server and a ot server(I know it isnt hard, but still), and they cant ask other people to host it for them because that would violate one of the rules, maybe limit people that send a map editor picture to just 1?
Second: I did say in the first post, I initially thought 2/3 as I thought that would be enough, but someone cried in the Staff Board for me to allow more..

Last edited:
Was probably peroxide who "cried for more" haha :p i still love that there are so mant participants!

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta thank number 2 for the idea's, and those 'greece-ish' sprites really fit together with that new grass.

Idk if a city gate needs the "Iron bars" stereotype to be called a gate.

sorry, but where's the gate in #3's pics?

I wonder.
The creator of #3 wanted to say this; (which didnt post to not make it obvious who it was)
City gate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A city gate is a gate which is, or was, set within a city wall. Other terms include port."

"Uses

City gates were traditionally built to provide a point of controlled access to and departure from a walled city for people, vehicles, goods and animals. Depending on their historical context they filled functions relating to defense, security, health, trade, taxation, and representation, and were correspondingly staffed by military or municipal authorities. The city gate was also commonly used to display diverse kinds of public information such as announcements, tax and toll schedules, standards of local measures, and legal texts. It could be heavily fortified, ornamented with heraldic shields, sculpture or inscriptions, or used as a location for warning or intimidation, for example by displaying the heads of beheaded criminals or public enemies.
City gates, in one form or another, can be found across the world in cities dating back to ancient times to around the 19th century. Many cities would close their gates after a certain curfew each night, for example Prague.
With increased stability and freedom, many walled cities removed such fortifications as city gates, although many still survive; albeit for historic interest rather than security. Many surviving gates have been heavily restored, rebuilt or new ones created to add to the appearance of a city, such as Bab Bou Jalous in Fes. With increased levels of traffic, city gates have come under threat in the past for impeding the flow of traffic, such as Temple Bar in London which was demolished in the 18th century."

@up: yet there's a kind of bridge leading to a place between houses and a lonely guard only, noone I could ask would describe it as a city gate
but anyways, since nobody on these forums ever agreed with me in any point before, I know arguing is pointless and my question was in no way meant to lead to an exclusion of the entry or something like that; it was more like taking a look at what people are really voting for (which for sure isn't how the theme is done)

Its called monthly contest for a reason :p

First: Some people don't want to have the trouble to set up a sql server and a ot server(I know it isnt hard, but still), and they cant ask other people to host it for them because that would violate one of the rules, maybe limit people that send a map editor picture to just 1?
Second: I did say in the first post, I initially thought 2/3 as I thought that would be enough, but someone cried in the Staff Board for me to allow more..

Well if you can't setup (or find how to setup a server) you also probably aren't able to map aswell. Behind that everybody knows ingame pictures looks better than screenshots taken from the mapeditor. However piece 6 gots some votes because it looks good if you take a look on the whole picture. This while pictures from ingame are only able to show one kind of piece/place.
Furthermore I think that it should be required to send 3 pieces insteed of one or just one picture insteed of the opportunaty to send more. Some contestparticipants do have two really great pictures, but one screwed it up and that piece makes people not voting on it. Others just makes one great piece and get votes.
You also did show 3 pictures where people should get inspiration from, but most of them aren't used.

Hope I made it clear now :p. Don't see it as a flame please. I want this to go fair.

Edit: please also add links. The first one should go straight to the "how to take a picture ingame", because I see people which aren't able to take proper ingame screens. The other one should go to how to setup a server.

Well if you can't setup (or find how to setup a server) you also probably aren't able to map aswell. Behind that everybody knows ingame pictures looks better than screenshots taken from the mapeditor.
Thy shan't talk like that! It's blasphemy!

So because you aren't able to setup a server you aren't able to map properly? That makes on sense.
Both things are absolutely different.

If you are able to take time to map a piece, you are also able to take time to setup a server. Come'on.
I wasn't able to set up a server, yet I could map decently (at the last moments before my friend helped me).
Artistic vision has nothing to due with setting up a server, mister!

Semms like map 3 is gonna win xD i have lost hope it isent peroxide mapping ahha :D

Well if you can't setup (or find how to setup a server) you also probably aren't able to map aswell. Behind that everybody knows ingame pictures looks better than screenshots taken from the mapeditor. However piece 6 gots some votes because it looks good if you take a look on the whole picture. This while pictures from ingame are only able to show one kind of piece/place.
Furthermore I think that it should be required to send 3 pieces insteed of one or just one picture insteed of the opportunaty to send more. Some contestparticipants do have two really great pictures, but one screwed it up and that piece makes people not voting on it. Others just makes one great piece and get votes.
You also did show 3 pictures where people should get inspiration from, but most of them aren't used.

Hope I made it clear now :p. Don't see it as a flame please. I want this to go fair.

Edit: please also add links. The first one should go straight to the "how to take a picture ingame", because I see people which aren't able to take proper ingame screens. The other one should go to how to setup a server.

• The links I add is direct links to the pictures, not things like that, its not my responsibility to show them that.,
  • I agree with Luffy, knowing how to map and how to setup a server is completely different things
  • The pics we give are to be used as inspiration, its not to actually make them, making them or making something else entirely is up to the contestant and its not because you made something similar to an inspiration picture that you'll get more votes or your piece is better then others
  • I don't understand what u meant with the 3 pieces/1 picture thingy, explain

- - - Updated - - -

@up: yet there's a kind of bridge leading to a place between houses and a lonely guard only, noone I could ask would describe it as a city gate
but anyways, since nobody on these forums ever agreed with me in any point before, I know arguing is pointless and my question was in no way meant to lead to an exclusion of the entry or something like that; it was more like taking a look at what people are really voting for (which for sure isn't how the theme is done)
its their vision of a City Gate, you may not agree, but you simply have to respect it :p

- - - Updated - - -

Map 8 has been disqualified because the creator has voted for himself
Shame on you!

Last edited:
-Tought I just explained that it didn't had to deal with the same skillrequirements, but time requirements. If they are not able to setup a server with a tutorial, than they just fail and shouldn't participate.
-With the latest point, just to make it clear shortly: don't give people the possibility to map between 1-5 pieces, but just let the make x pieces.
-And yeah sure it's inspiration, but I can also map a dragon cave insteed of a gate if it doesn't mather.

its their vision of a City Gate, you may not agree, but you simply have to respect it :p

True but, honestly, #3 looks more of a general skill showoff than a submission for a "city gate" contest, since the gate itself has really little focus. But, if people still likes it more, it cant be helped, he won :p

-Tought I just explained that it didn't had to deal with the same skillrequirements, but time requirements. If they are not able to setup a server with a tutorial, than they just fail and shouldn't participate.
-With the latest point, just to make it clear shortly: don't give people the possibility to map between 1-5 pieces, but just let the make x pieces.
-And yeah sure it's inspiration, but I can also map a dragon cave insteed of a gate if it doesn't mather.
I don't agree, a person can map w/e she wants and never login, forcing people to have to setup a server just to take a couple pictures is wrong imo
what good would that do? some people pieces might be small and not have enough content to have X pictures
In that case I would reject your piece because it has nothing to do with the theme, I usually accept all pieces, unless its something 100% out of the theme, like what u just said

- - - Updated - - -

True but, honestly, #3 looks more of a general skill showoff than a submission for a "city gate" contest, since the gate itself has really little focus. But, if people still likes it more, it cant be helped, he won :p
I don't like it either, like I said on my first post:
3 - 3 useless pics and imo fits more the theme of a bridge then a City Gate
But its the people choice :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back