• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OLD TFS FILES. STOP USING THEM.

Itutorial

Excellent OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Why do people still use old distros of TFS, ect. Those codes are all jacked up that's why we have the new ones. Why start a project when it is already years behind another one. Just use the newest files >< Hearing the same problems over and over that are problems from the sources of these old file is becoming tiresome. JUST GET THE NEWEST FILES.

Okay, I am done.

Agreed.
The reason I see most people using old distros such as TFS 0.4 is because they went somewhere and found a ready server for their needs, and didn't even bother checking what the hell the sources were. I've seen people running stuff like OTHire or OTX with a lot of bugs desperate to find people that can work with those versions. None of the bugs are present on modern TFS releases though.

As a guy using TFS 1.3 but also being the person currently maintaining OTHire, it mindblows me that you guys really thinks using the newest TFS is a perfect fit for everyone.

Not only different distributions can offers features current TFS doesn't have, you also run in issues and bugs when using the most updated thing, specially if you are customizing it a lot and trying to maintain it updated.

because current tfs supports unrelevant shit clients that no1 wants to play, has the worst monster AI by far (takes up to 1 sec for mobs to react to movement changes etc even 8.0 xml were better)

Maybe you should invest a little more time in writing your own code then, so it won't be bugged. Just so it supports (in your eyes) "irrelevant shit", doesn't mean it's bad in general.
Just because your phone supports supports USB 3.0 doesn't mean USB 2.0 is irrelevant. You can decide whether to use it or not

i feel like most of the problem is that there aren't many people who contribute anything, it's mostly people who take
not here to be all like "oh muh leechers pls stop", but it wouldn't be this bad with so many people using different things if people could learn and give back to the community they use, such as releasing code like in the resources section, so that people could have the option to use tfs and edit as they see fit
rather than having something like otx where you have the newest up-to-date features and client support, people should be able to just edit their own engine as they see fit based off of tfs
the reason why the majority of people choose otx over tfs (i feel like) is because of the different varieties of clients it supports
but i do hate seeing people using 0.3.6, 0.3.7, and 0.4 nowadays for 8.6 when there's a downgraded version of tfs 1.2 by ninja, which is more than likely a better engine than 0.x even if it isn't updated anymore
everybody complains about tfs being shit and outdated but at the same time nobody wants to help make it better or do anything for the engine

I can say that i use an old distribution. I started with no knowledge of anything, ive just recently learned how to compile. Some old distributions give beginner people a chance to have his own otserver without know anything about LUA or C++. When they start to learn, they grow and read more tutorials applying them on the distribution they downloaded. After some time, thoose people build an intresting server (at least for themselves) and keep going with it.

The point of saying this is that when people try to learn they just dont realize that they distributions are too old, because they dont have enought knowledge, and dont want to leave the work they done behind.

Last edited:
Take a look in stats
IlQmQT.png

Notice less TFS 1.2 servers but more players then all.

because current tfs supports unrelevant shit clients that no1 wants to play, has the worst monster AI by far (takes up to 1 sec for mobs to react to movement changes etc even 8.0 xml were better)

I am not saying TFS is the best, but simply why are older versions on these server being used. In my opinion they should be removed as soon as they are outdated so people do not download these old versions and the forum stays in a constant loop with any new developers. If everyone was forced to use the newer distros the biggest question would be: How to make TFS 1.2 compatible with x.x, which can easily be helped, but when there is constant: 0.3.7 help, or 0.4 help and its literally the same things that have been gone over, over and over again its making this forum a useless place where the only information that can really get received is old bs. Anything that might be slightly good is hidden by 10000 threads on old shit.

So im not saying everyone should use TFS, but they should be using the newest versions for all distros. I would rather see a forum topic named: Server Compatability, or something of the like that where a list of ways to make each distro compatible for which client is there. Then everyone will be working on the same codes and able to focus on one server. As soon as a new distro or server comes out the old ones should be removed from our sight.

Last edited:
Most peoples prob use tfs 0.4 bcus every single script which you need exists alredy on otland... for tfs 1.2 theres almost nothing if you ask me
you are supposed to ask otland all the time for a script then you must wait for more than 24 hours to get a working script.
ye maybe tfs 1.2 is good or perfect but why should it be that "Hardcore better than 0.4?" 0.4 was befor the best too I think?
If peoples dont have any problems with the old sources, why would they switch and change every single script? makes no sense for me

Your missing the point. If their server is fine then Otland wont be flooded with old codes. Everytime a new distro came out it was "the best" one. That's why its called outdated a better one comes out. I dont even attempt to make anytype of tutorials on how to do things because I have no clue what has already been covered. This forum is full of outdated codes for outdated server and generally the codes are probably not that great either. Otland is one of the most unreliable places for server development in my opinion. Most other forums, as soon as better codes come out they deleted everything old because its a waste of time. There isn't a single server that is being created with 0.4, 0.3.6, ect. that if the owner doesn't know what they are doing cant be fucked with in some way. That is even true for the newest distros but there are far less bugs/exploites/ect in the newest codes.

I dont want to change from 0.3.6 I have worked so long..... You dont know how to edit source codes?? Well guess what as soon as your server is online its fucked, so good luck.

Anyone who knows what they are doing doesn't come on Otland for codes, they can make their own. If they dont know what their doing they dont need old broken ass files. Sorry for the language but I am trying to stress a point. So why keep the codes on this forum? So we can hold people back? No, we should force them forwards and more people will be willing to help.

Last edited:
I get you point.. ye well idk i like tfs 0.4 i got no problems with it

idk what would be the solution that peoples change to tfs 1.2

See your one of the people im talking when I say they don't know what they are doing. So the people that do can help you out by forcing you into new codes.

Last edited:
Maybe you should invest a little more time in writing your own code then, so it won't be bugged. Just so it supports (in your eyes) "irrelevant shit", doesn't mean it's bad in general.
Just because your phone supports supports USB 3.0 doesn't mean USB 2.0 is irrelevant. You can decide whether to use it or not

You clearly don't know who you're providing "advice" to.

Most peoples prob use tfs 0.4 bcus every single script which you need exists alredy on otland... for tfs 1.2 theres almost nothing if you ask me
tfs 1.2 has backwards compatibility, which means you aren't forced to convert every single script
which means technically 0.4 has way less scripts now because everything is being made in 1.2, go take a look at the resources section
in 1.2 you can use 0.4 and 1.2 scripts, but in 0.4 you can't use 1.2 scripts
you are supposed to ask otland all the time for a script then you must wait for more than 24 hours to get a working script.
you don't have to do anything, you could learn yourself so you don't have to rely on otland to make your server for you
ye maybe tfs 1.2 is good or perfect but why should it be that "Hardcore better than 0.4?" 0.4 was befor the best too I think?
it's better because it's not outdated garbage like 0.4
If peoples dont have any problems with the old sources, why would they switch and change every single script? makes no sense for me
because it's so easy to swap sources because of the backwards compatibility 1.2 has, you don't have to go convert every single script you just have to swap the engine and make a few changes, doesn't even take a day to switch

i don't understand why people have the "if it's not broken, why fix it?" attitude when there is clearly bugs on 0.4 that you can abuse and break the server
i remember seeing 2 people swap over to tfs 1.2 for 8.6 a week or so ago because people were abusing their server cause it was 0.4

AngeLOT, If you are making a 0.4 server and you don't know how to code c++ I would say stop wasting your time now. Go get 1.2/1.3 and start getting it set up for that. because by the time TFS 2.0 or w/e the heck comes out your stuff is going to be so behind and bugged people will laugh at you. I can't even take someone seriously when they say they are using such old files. It tells me they are jumping into a lake and they don't even know how to swim. Yes, it is obviously possible to keep a 0.4 distro and fix it if you are capable but as I said the code is years behind and why spend all that time fixing old files when a team of people have kindly done it for you. Eventually 03.6 and 0.4 servers are going to be so outdated that TFS will stop providing support for those version. Its just not viable. There are people creating completely custom graphics and all types of things. Do you really think you can compete with some of these projects if you cant even get passed being able to convert your server to a higher distro?

I am all for helping people learn, but I am not for holding development back. That is all keeping these distros active is doing. As I said, the second you download a 0.4 distro you are years behind. Even if you have made 50-60 codes in lua that need to be remade/reworked/edited slightly. It's still nowhere near how far behind you are source wise and if you don't know C++ you will never have a server that's worth hosting because anyone that knows what they are doing will be able to mess your server up.

This is a perfect example of what im talking about:

C++ - bool Player::canWalkthrough

"How do I make something that has already been made long ago. For files that are so outdated its pointless to do it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back