• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Opinions] Tibia like project but something different

zFighter21

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a newbie when it comes to codding in these parts, but I wanted to make hobby project, this being a game that would be like tibia but the same time it won't be, I just here to ask for some guidance. There was a cool server that launched not too long ago called "BloodstoneOnline" it’s an amazing game so far (even it being in beta) with their graphics/gameplay ext but there could be something much more. Since I have some background knowledge of coding, I would like to make my own "Server" that would take certain aspects of different games that I have played and put it into this game.

So why I'm here I would like to know some opinions of this idea. Would it be worthwhile remaking a whole game engine or maybe perhaps reusing a tibia server to build upon? I really like how "BloodstoneOnline" looks like in the aspect of the angle and the 2.5D aspect of the graphics. Making an engine would take a long time but would be an interesting project to do but why reinvent the wheel if there are resources that I don't know about that I could use. If anyone has any useful resource I would greatly appreciate.

I'm working on my hobby project using TFS, OTClient and OpenTibia Sprite Pack.

Even if I had the knowledge I think I would prefer to do it using pre-existent tested stuff with know issues than going through all the hassle of building everything from zero.

That very true that the issues I would run into making everything from zero would be very difficult, but nothing is not doable just time consuming. I just currently have little idea on what’s needed to make something like this.

Thanks for sharing your opinion really appreciate it.

The amount of time the entire community put on the projects surpass default human being lifespan, so it's actually not possible. The amount of iterations and hours of testing may not be reproduceable.

Back