• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OT Server for Public Library

Dskex

Reaction score
GitHub
eastky7
Hey OTLand,

This is my second thread and I think I have it in the proper place now..

I've been developing an OT Server for my public library district. It's an initiative of sorts, meaning I plan to use the server not only personally but also as a free service to my library's patrons. Progress has been slow but, like my old manager from Burger King used to say.. "Start steady.. anyone can throw a hamburger together quickly and poorly." I remember being so pissed (angsty youth) because it's only a burger right? --No.

It's not just a 'server'. It's a space that we create that should accommodate appropriately and efficiently IMO.

"What shall we use
To fill the empty spaces
Where we used to talk?" - Pink Floyd

In my youth I was also a bricklayer for many years before going into Information Systems Engineering. I have played this game since 1999, first at a public library--the same one I work at today. There's some magic left here and I fully intend on unlocking it.

That said, enough with my brief intro.

Because the server software is called The Forgotten Server, I'm working on The Forgotten Library. The story is based around a primary town in which you spawn into after the tutorial where lo and behold... there is no king! He's missing and almost no one seems to be bothered by it. Regardless of the absence of leadership all signs point you first to a library. It's a big library, and you thought it was abandoned until you discovered an old librarian. After looking over the cobwebs and the lingering smell of book glue, a short discussion teaches you that because there's no king.. people are left without direction, so if a player wants to progress they must begin in the stacks of the library books.

It's still a loose idea but I wanted to share it here and introduce myself to the community. I'm starting very small and building things piece by piece, taking the time to understand exactly what's going on behind the game. I work fulltime as a developer anyway and the best part of this initiative is that it's powered by 20+ years of experience playing and being inspired by the game.

Here's to everyone in OTLand who cares about community and still finds the magic.

To think, a mere 7 days has passed and I've totally surpassed my goals. I built the map and custom NPC's for the Forgotten Library, introduced several spawns and have more of a game than my library kids could ever finish in a single summer. High scores during a given season will award real prizes and 3D printed medals.

I'd say thanks but y'all are mostly cobbled-up keyboard-slingers, kidding of course -- thanks really, this site is a fantastic resource. =]

I'd say thanks but y'all are mostly cobbled-up keyboard-slingers, kidding of course -- thanks really, this site is a fantastic resource. =]

hell yea bruthur

Back