• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[OTClient] Project needs a new maintainers

MagicWall

Veteran OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
New year, new aims, but...
From time when @edubart don't may maintain OTClient github repo (Nov 4, 2017), project was stopped significantely.
[RFC] Project needs a new maintainer · Issue #886 · edubart/otclient

I think that is serious problem for OTClient community and future of this project, so maybe we need to discuss this problem.

Now we have a lot of open pull request, fixed issues waiting to close and not even one project boards.

Statistics from previous year (2018):
  • Added 6 commits.
  • Added 44 lines of code.
  • Delete 15 lines of code.
  • 22 Pull Request (6 accepted, 14 waiting, 2 closed by authors).
  • 49 Issues (35 open, 14 closed).
Probably all OTClient users want to new year to be better for OTClient project. So we need to do something with it.

Probably contributors want add more pull request but:
  • Pull request code conflicts.
  • High conflict risk if we want to add new C++ -> Lua feature (client and framework -> luafunctions).
  • No possibility adding fork from fork (make impossible to add pull request and further work on it).

We need you MagicWall. I grab OTHire to maintain, and as long as you don't treat it as a job and only mess with it when in the mood, it's not that overwhelming. Once the first wave of work of updating issues/pullrequests is done, it's easy.

Last edited:
Finally.. Right people in the right time. I started to get to know the otclient closer and I hope that before the new git will be created - I will be ready to help what I obviously intend to do.

I would love to see new main contributors in OTC, and hopefully this topic doesn't die out again before the issue is resolved.

On the performance subject: Microsoft/angle

But what will be the new project aim? Make new(10.5+) animations to work? fix issues with walking(which few servers already fixed) and other details that would make the client feel way more smooth? a modern client like tibia 11(not talking about implement the new store, statistics, cyclopedia etc i'm talking about the hotkeys/spell bar, wasd walking, space targeting, split chat bar and other features that would the client better , smooth and modern for any protocol version).

On the performance subject: Microsoft/angle

But what will be the new project aim? Make new(10.5+) animations to work? fix issues with walking(which few servers already fixed) and other details that would make the client feel way more smooth? a modern client like tibia 11(not talking about implement the new store, statistics, cyclopedia etc i'm talking about the hotkeys/spell bar, wasd walking, space targeting, split chat bar and other features that would the client better , smooth and modern for any protocol version).

to me,, when i tested otclient for my ots the biggest things that needed fixing was new animations to work,, and the walking animations for the newer protocols. i was in contact with diath (he has fixed this for cyntara) for many months ago,, he gave me some suggestions on how to fix walking animations,, i will post them here

but i will share what he said here;;
package tibia.appearances { public class AppearanceAnimator { - Pastebin.com (appearanceanimator.as) it's what flashclient used to make movement i think
iIoI0dH.png

maybe this helps someone,, but probably we need more info :&
and i want to try look into fixing it when i get some extra time for it,, but im also very amateur coder xd

i think if movement and new animations would be fixed, then client would feel good enough for me to switch to using it,, maybe others feel same. i don't see many people complain about performance anymore and theres many ots using otclient,, and i dont think they fixed the performance issues. and i think walking feels quite good on older protocols. it just needs fix for new clients

to me,, when i tested otclient for my ots the biggest things that needed fixing was new animations to work,, and the walking animations for the newer protocols. i was in contact with diath (he has fixed this for cyntara) for many months ago,, he gave me some suggestions on how to fix walking animations,, i will post them here

but i will share what he said here;;
package tibia.appearances { public class AppearanceAnimator { - Pastebin.com (appearanceanimator.as) it's what flashclient used to make movement i think
iIoI0dH.png

maybe this helps someone,, but probably we need more info :&
and i want to try look into fixing it when i get some extra time for it,, but im also very amateur coder xd

i think if movement and new animations would be fixed, then client would feel good enough for me to switch to using it,, maybe others feel same. i don't see many people complain about performance anymore and theres many ots using otclient,, and i dont think they fixed the performance issues. and i think walking feels quite good on older protocols. it just needs fix for new clients

Well the feeling i got with otc its not smooth(specially walking, even with protocols that does not have the new ewalking animations) as tibia 11 and i also tested few servers OTC and for me they made few improvements to make it more "smooth" but i would need to test it more to point out where it does not feel good.
I Do believe the flash client source can be very useful since its a full implementation with source code that made a client that was way better than the old C++ client and the only real issue was the performance(used too much memory and had lower fps).

The problem is edubart hasn't even been online to even consider new maintainers. Someone needs to get a hold of him and get a chat going with the current maintainers and those suggested to take over to decide on who it will be. I personally think that Okke should be the one to take over, he has the commitment for it and the experience and he's been suggested multiple times. We can't let OTC stay the way it is and let this discussion die out, it's been long over due.

Let's face it, this community is highly competitive and that is ok.
What is not ok is to be competitive in the core of the game.

The problem is that good developers are usually highly technical and bad at user experience and creativity, so since they can't make a good game, they work in a public base and fix the things only for themselves because they would have the card of "bugs corrected" to advertise as an advantage towards other competitors.
When a community relies on these kind of people, it is faded to failure.

This community needs to understand once for all that is ok to compete and don't share your work to keep it as an advantage... AS LONG AS IT IS NOT BUG/IMPROVEMENT RELATED OF THE SOURCE CODE.

So far I can't say that anyone in the project could be the new maintainer, I haven't seen enough PR's or commit(ment) in the past year to point out someone. Perhaps the project should be forked and people start to work in this new active fork.

Either way I'm still checking from time to time, hopefully soon someone will share the fix for the walking animations and them I can come back to consider OTC a viable option.

Last edited:
Either way I'm still checking from time to time, hopefully soon someone will share the fix for the walking animations and them I can come back to consider OTC a viable option.

This is the main point. If this is not solved otcliente can be considered dead. I hope someone can solve it. It would be good to collect money among the entire community to pay the developer to do it. (pay a lot). I think that will be the only way to encourage it, since what generates this problem is complex to solve.

I feel my bad English, I hope everyone understands me. :)

It would be good to collect money among the entire community to pay the developer to do it. (pay a lot).

Right. I wrote to a game optimization company. I sent them points that Edubart had once pointed out in his post - which should be improved so that the game's performance will increase.
In response, I received information that they would take care of the project for 1000$.
The work would last for two months.
If someone is interested in collecting money, I can run it, but I need to pre-check how many of us need an optimized OTClient.

So if you are interested - write me a private message. I will count how many of us are and share the costs. Then I will send to each of you that information or I will create a topic informing everyone.

Last edited:
Right. I wrote to a game optimization company. I sent them points that Edubart had once pointed out in his post - which should be improved so that the game's performance will increase.
In response, I received information that they would take care of the project but unfortunately for a really large sum of money...
If someone is interested in collecting money, I can run it, but I need to pre-check how many of us need an optimized OTClient.

So if you are interested - write me a private message. I will count how many of us are and share the costs. Then I will send to each of you that information or I will create a topic informing everyone.
Without saying how much they said it gonna cost? I think we deserve to know the amount.

Last edited:
In response, I received information that they would take care of the project but unfortunately for a really large sum of money...

I will contribute my share of the payment. In case of doing so, I would do it through PayPal, through secure payment.

Without saying how much they said it gonna cost? I think we deserve to know the amount.
I said I want to create a topic with more informations.
And why do you think you deserve? Did you do something that would help in this case and I did not notice it?
In any case, the amount is $ 1,000.

If someone has the opportunity to find a cheaper offer and wants to use their time to get along with companies, please do it.

I said I want to create a topic with more informations.
And why do you think you deserve? Did you do something that would help in this case and I did not notice it?
In any case, the amount is $ 1,000.

If someone has the opportunity to find a cheaper offer and wants to use their time to get along with companies, please do it.
1k usd? That is totally doable, i think you should create the topic with the details.

Last edited:
Where should we collect the money?
It should be clearly stated who deposited so that he could later access the files.

Obviously, it would be best if all people using the OTClient helps. Then the changes would be public, but this is the most beautiful vision.

Where should we collect the money?
It should be clearly stated who deposited so that he could later access the files.

Obviously, it would be best if all people using the OTClient helps. Then the changes would be public, but this is the most beautiful vision.
I would donate the money to make it public, not private. I think the money could be collected in those websites which are used to rize money for projects but we need details first, which is the company, which features they are going to work on etc otherwise no money nor trust.

I am more than willing to donate to a legitimate fund raiser for it. But only if it is to be made public for everyone. I'm personally pretty tired of the greed around here.

Back