• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OTFans dead o.O?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalt0n

Hiho:)
Reaction score
OTFans Shutdown
This is relatively big news for the OT community. OTFans has finally shutdown, not surprised to see it happen.
http://otfans.net/
Originally Posted by otfans.net
It's time to say goodbye!

I've been thinking about shutting down OTFans for a while due to the decrees in user activity. Two days ago we had a massive database failure due to bad sectors on the hard-drive after a power outage. Ofcourse we do have backups, but I didn't want to loose a single post nor thread and tried my best to recover the database.

However, I saw this as the final nail in the coffin and it gave me a real reason to just close the site.

We've had a great time over the past years and I would like to thank everyone who helped developing all the OpenTibia projects aswell as third-party software.

If anyone would like to talk to me about this you can query 'grizzm0' at QuakeNet or use the webchat below.

If you need any help with OTServ I would suggest that you head over to OtLand and ask your questions there.

Kind regards, grizzm0

I'm saddened by this news, it is unfortunate on what happened towards the end.
I've been a member there since 2005, surely the OTFans days will be missed.

but on a Positive side, maybe we will get a bigger community here since he had the decency to recommend us for all his followers.

Too bad, but well, I'm not too shocked about it.
It wasn't that alive there anymore after all (because OT dies in general), many moved to OtLand from OtFans as well (Including me, earlier).

First Open-Tibia community I ever joined was Otfans, I'll miss it surely.

Even though I find it sad, it was for the best. OTFans has been unofficially dead for quite some time now and the shutdown has pretty much been waited out.

I hope OTFans going down has some kind of benefit on the ot community. We know OT in general has changed a lot and is on a downhill, not by users but moral. With OTFans gone, otland will hopefully get some members moving over here. With the "rivalry" between the members now gone, I hope people can start working together instead of against each other. One door has now been closed and another one has been opened, now it's just to see if people feel like doing the walk over there.

People who are glad otfans is down and all that:
OT in general is going downhill as I said. Otland might not go down but the spirit of OpenTibia will one day be completely gone. There are key people who are keeping the development up and I can tell you now there's not a lot of these guys left anymore. Extremely few are filling up the holes left by the guys "retiring" and this is one day gonna hit you all when the development completely stalls and the only options left are distributions which some few people are marketing.

Last edited:
It is weird that something that has been running for so long time suddenly stops.... It's like someone you know died :(

Even though i never really visited otfans a lot after i found out about otland it feels so unreal, whenever i was looking for an OT i'd check both otland and otfans. Now otfans is gone, a big part of the open tibia community is gone.

well, I don't feel sorry, they never accepted my rme mods

The shutdown of Otfans seemed inevitable, even though I did thought somebody would take it over. I just hope that the enthusiasm increases for developing (and maintain) new opensource things such as OTClient, Mapeditors, AAC's but also the main OTServ development which was hosted at Otfans will still be maintained by old and new developers.

My dismay is the same as everybody else's. OTFans was the first Open Tibia community I joined. They're the reason I'm here today.
On a positive note, perhaps now we can finally merge the two communities. A lot of us have wanted that for a long time, hopefully the staff and members over at OTFans (anybody that's still interested in Open Tibia really) create accounts here and something new may flourish because of this.
Also, I hope any resources that were kept on OTFans can safely be converted over here as the last thing we need is to lose valuable resources.

Red

Thats such a shame, i spent the last few days looking at old threads, there was so much history there. The ot community will just keep moving forward i guess, from wot to otcommunity to otserv to otans and now otland.

I wish there wud be a section on otland that had all otfans posts.

Also, I hope any resources that were kept on OTFans can safely be converted over here as the last thing we need is to lose valuable resources.

What kind of valuable resources? Almost all sort of things that were in OTFans can be found in Otland to, so how would you search into a database for valuable resources that has a huge amount of data. Not the mention the approval of GriZzm0 and dedication from Talaturen implementing this.

We all knew this is what griz wanted for quite some time now. Why he didn't pass it on like it was passed onto him though is pretty shitty. The users begged him for the last year, maybe even two years to pass it on to someone else who cared about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back