• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Pivot stickfigure animator!

R3ignlasting

Reaction score
Alright, some people here may have seen some stick figure videos before?? Huh??

Well, if you want to know how they make it, they use a program called pivot, and they are VERY experienced..

You can make your own stick movies!
Depending on if the moderators would approve my tutorials for it...lol...
Anyways, the program can be simple to use if your patient with creating stuff.

Please note: If you aren't patient don't consider using this program at all!

First of all, if you want to use the program... You will obviously have to download it :p
Download here!
This, is a recent version of Pivot, I posted this one because it has less bugs than the 0.3 beta testings...
(Btw, I wouldn't like anyone else that isn't experienced with this program to post tutorials here, even if they do get approved.)

Anyways, here's the basics!

Use this to refer to some aspect of pivot you’re having difficulty with. For example, press ctrl+f and search for “lightning”. Your browser will guide you to the part of the tutorial that deals with lightning effects. The .pivs and .stks are all Pivot 2. Anyone who uses Pivot 3, I can’t help you. Anyway, on with the tutorial. Although this is designed more as a reference manual, anyone who honestly reads it all is a legend. :p

CONTENTS

1. Beginners Hall
1a. Getting To Know Pivot
1b. Creating Models
1c. Where To Start?
1d. Learning Basic Vital Movements (Walking, Running, Combat)
1e. Learning Basic Effects (Particles, Blood, Tremor, Fade, Blur, Trails)
1f. Implementing Simple .stk Backgrounds
1g. Improving Your Drawing Ability

2. Intermediate Area
2a. Basic Idea Generation & Implementing Simple Storylines
2b. Camera Animation (Two Dimensional)
2c. Improving Movements (Speed Variance, Easing) and Effects (Basic Beams, Explosions, Debris Physics, Ground Shatter, Light Sources)
2d. Adding Filled Backgrounds

3. Pivot Veterans
3a. Animation Planning
3b. Effects (Lightning/Electricity, Smoke, Shadows, Fire)
3c. Camera Animation (Three Dimensional)
3d. Developing Styles/Traits

4. Elite Zone
4a. The Power Of Editing Frames
4b. Mind Frame Of A Patient (Successful) Animator
4c. Losing Your Mind

5. Miscellaneous
5a. Model Builder Techniques
5b. Saving Your Work In .gif Format

6. Thanks

1. BEGINNERS HALL

Beginners will find this section the most helpful. Beginners also need the most attention, so, this is where most of the guide will be.

1a. GETTING TO KNOW PIVOT

Here is your interface:

image001mu0.jpg

1.) Controls:

“Play”: View the frames in sequence.
“Stop”: Stop animation from playing.
“Repeat”: Tick to make your animation loop, or play repeatedly.
Scroll Bar (Located next to “play”): Adjust frames per second, or the speed of the animation.
“Stickman”: After loading a figure, its name will appear here. Click the downward arrow (drop-down bar) to view the list of figures currently loaded. “Stickman” is the default figure. To load others, create and then save them. (See section 3.)
“Add Figure”: Add the currently selected figure to the animation.
“Edit”: Change the dimensions of the joints of your stickman. (Length, thickness, static/dynamic segment, toggle segment etc.)
“Centre”: Move the highlighted figure’s orange joint to the centre of the screen.
“Flip”: Make the highlighted figure “mirror” itself, e.g. this bracket “[“ going “]”. :D
“Colour”: Change the highlighted figure’s colour. (I don’t recommend blue, red or orange, as this interferes with the animation.)
“100”: This figure denotes the percentage size of the highlighted figure. A higher number means a bigger figure, while a lower number means a smaller figure.
“Front”: Move the highlighted figure to the front of the animation, blocking your view of those behind it.
“Back”: Move the highlighted figure behind the other figures.
“Next Frame”: Capture the screen as a frame, and move onto the next one.
“File”: Make a new animation, load a paint background, clear the background, create a figure, load a figure, open an animation or save an animation.
“Options”: Change the dimension values of the animation, or the size of the animation.
“Help”: View legal data about the Pivot Stick Figure Animator program.
“Exit”: Close the program.

2.) Simple Figure Operation:

Each figure has a number of “joints” (the red circles). Click and drag the red circles to move each joint. The orange circle (the origin) moves the entire figure. When un-highlighted, all the joints will be displayed in blue. When you click “next frame” and move a joint, you’ll see a grey outline of where it was in the last frame. This is called the “onionskin”.

3.) Accessing Models/Animations:

To load a saved animation:

1) Click “file”.
2) Click “open animation”.
3) Find the animation you want to load and double click it.

To load a saved model/figure:

1) Click “file”.
2) Click “load figure type”.
3) Find the figure you want to load and double click it.

If you find my explanation of pivot confusing, look at this interactive tutorial made by Jon: http://droidz.org/RANDOMFILES/getting_to_know_pivot/

1b. CREATING MODELS

To create a model, click “file” and then “create figure type”. This opens up a new window. Here you’ll see a straight line and a few buttons on the left. Highlight each button to see its function.

image003ee3.jpg

“Add line”: Create a new line segment to attach to the model.
“Add circle”: Create a new circle segment to attach to your model.
“Toggle segment kind”: Change the segment from a line to a circle, or vice-versa.
“Change segment thickness”: This edits the thickness of separate segments. By setting thickness to 0, you can make “invisible lines”.
“Duplicate segment”: Makes a copy of the highlighted segment, which can then be attached to another segment.
“Static/Dynamic segment”: Dynamic segments can be moved around in animations. Static segments cannot be moved.
“Delete segment”: Removes the highlighted segment from the model.
“File”: Here you can start a new model, open a saved one, save the current model or add the current model to the animation.
“Options”: Here you can undo a mistake made with the model or switch to edit mode.
“Edit mode”: This mode is used to change the length of a line or circle on your model.

I recommend that you only attach one segment to the master joint, and continue constructing your model from that new segment. If you attach two or more segments to the master joint, you won’t be able to rotate the entire model without leaving half of it behind. This obviously doesn’t apply to stickmen.

Now, if you want to actually use this program, PM me asking for a tutorial or such...

P.S Here is the best video I've ever made lol

Gas.gif
Old

1238210296.gif
New

Hey, guys...Look guys I got an award!
1238545360.png

Credits to:
Developers
Elite members
Hall of fame members

Maybe some Rep++?? :)

Last edited:
....Lol, the point of that movie wasn't the fight, it was a hall of fame, movie created by all of us Pivot users...
And the blood, wouldn't look right with Xiao's sword hit..

And another thing, the effects for the killing, weren't actually killing so there wouldn't be any blood at all...
The sword the Developers made for us to use for the animation, they said strictly, not to use it for any blood animations for some reason... That I am not aware of.

Okay, well here I added a new animation for you guys to look at easing a bit more.

really great thing. Ive already started creating my own animations

Back