• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

PVP Arenas project - introduction & discussion!

So we will bring that magic once again! :)
Of course we are thinking about something more global. We don't really want to limit ourselves to Tibia only. We see a huge potential in such game and hopefully we will convince some tibia players to try it out.
We are aiming for a game with own client :) Of course one of the points in our "todo" list is a custom graphics. We were also thinking about 3D game with the similar gameplay but this project will be propably a sequel of this game ;) However, we have a huge todo list and we are going throught it task by task with a hope for a really great game ;-)
Maybe I didn't write it clearly btu we are going to remake the whole PVP. Of course the beta/alpha version will base on Tibia spells/runes but we the final version will be no associated to Tibia at all :)

I think it's not really possible to bring it back, especially in the moment where we need to pay players to join our servers, like some top servers are doing - the second reason why it won't be possible is because people who was playing Tibia 3-5 years ago aren't the same persons at the moment - they have built such a wonderful atmosphere of this game. Now most of them left Tibia, and what we got now is rest of kids who don't know how to enjoy playing this game. Anyway, you got a nice potential, and it's great that you won't limit yourselves to Tibia only. I also hope that you are treating this project as a helpful hand to the Tibia community, which decreases everyday and not as a next business plan.

I'm very interested in the project progress, will you update this thread with fresh informations about it?

Of course the game will be free to play, we haven't even think yet how to monetize it. We always wanted to create a team PVP game and for now, what we are doing gives us a lot of fun. I can't agree that only `rage-kids` plays tibia right now, there are still a lot of kind players, however you will mostly hear the raging ones... ;)

I'm very interested in the project progress, will you update this thread with fresh informations about it?
I'll try to keep this topic fresh. We are working right now on the skill matching engine. Most of the functions are ready, so we just need it to put it together and test it ;) Experience/level gaining is done. Our next step will be re-working skills menu/implementing boosts system with a front-end for choosing them.

Of course the game will be free to play, we haven't even think yet how to monetize it. We always wanted to create a team PVP game and for now, what we are doing gives us a lot of fun. I can't agree that only `rage-kids` plays tibia right now, there are still a lot of kind players, however you will mostly hear the raging ones... ;)

I'll try to keep this topic fresh. We are working right now on the skill matching engine. Most of the functions are ready, so we just need it to put it together and test it ;) Experience/level gaining is done. Our next step will be re-working skills menu/implementing boosts system with a front-end for choosing them.

Just sayin' I wanna try the server when its on beta so u better msg me about it! >;D

it's nice that u still see tibia as something that u can put ur imagination into and build something unique out of this game. u can take a lot of ideas how to monetize it by taking a look at games that are out, as I think that it is quite similar to MOBA games so u could do things like we're having in league of legends or in heroes of newerth, special skins etc but just dont add anything that u would gain advantage as a player if u'd invest money.
sometimes i do miss old feeling about tibia, it wont come back but new things such as ur project can bring similar atmosphere or even better thats why i would like to wish u good luck as you - as someone stated above - have great potential. gonna try it for sure when u will be finished and it will be public.

Since its gonna be custom clients make the outfits more War looking! Like citizen holding a sword and a shield on its back for example..

Why if i read xinn's post i read it with phreaks voice in my head dafuq. (league of legends)

Haha, the guys responsible for league of legends are simply perfect. They showed everyone how to create the most user-friendly,game ever for casual and professional players as well. Strategy games are not easy to play but somehow they managed to interest a lot of people with their game. Of course they are a masters for us :) For example, the way they present new things, they always try to make it very easy to understand for us - players, they always try to explain why did they change this and that and talks about their thoughts about the things they change. And the best thing, they really know how to create community... Yeah, I'm a lol player as well ;-)

Since its gonna be custom clients make the outfits more War looking! Like citizen holding a sword and a shield on its back for example..
One of the points on our TODO list is custom graphics. We will be looking soon now for a graphic to create own sprites so if any graphic here is willing to co-operate with us (of course this will be a paid job) please PM me with your current work :)

@Qlimatt:
That's right. We will definitely not monetize a project by selling over-powered items or simply things which will make some players stronger over the others. We really want to make this game competitive and if we succeed... well... I can't wait for a moment when someone will start streaming our game over the world ;-)
I want to know that feeling ;-)

Seems like it will become pretty big, don't hesitate if you would need any help with: Mappings, Lua, c++, html or css. Though i think you got that right already.. but i would definitely stand up as a tester also if you need, contact me if there would be anything.
Good luck!

Here is an link of an arena i made a while ago which i could send:
http://3.imgland.net/dlZd1.png
(Sending in link since this isn't the showoff board)

we will be having some closed beta-tests on this saturday/sunday... we will be testing basic runes/gameplay, gaining levels, skillmatching, rating system and some website-related things (choosing runes et cetera)

If you would like to be a part of our beta testers on saturday/sunday - message me :) I will deliver some beta-codes to the first 30 persons on friday with instructions how to join beta tests :)

I have some news for you about how developing goes :)
We had some break due en exams on studies, but now we are developing Arenas with double power :) I want to give you some information about what we finished lately and our thought about the project.

Extended skill matching - completed :)
We have finally completed one of the core functions of the project - skill matching. It was a very hard part to complete since we had to decide what should our primary goal in match making is: should we primary focus on the time of matching or the skill of players. Should we wait a little longer to have matches with players on similar level or focus on fast players matching. Skill matching is a very important part of our engine. To increase the enjoy of the game, we need to place players in the matches with players on the similar level, however, this process can't last too long. You don't want to wait 5 minutes for a game or play a game with someone who is a way better then you or someone who just started playing arenas. We had to find a way to balance it. After a brainstorming with other developers of the project, we found a perfect way to go. We decided to create an algorithm which primmary goal will be finding a match for players on the most possible accurate skill level, however during the process, if it can't find a match on the similar skill-level, it will start matching a players on less accurate level, on the end it will simply match any eight available players.

Skill matching - what did we have to take care of?
Skill matching would be easy to project and program if we had only single players in the matching queue. However, this is a team game and we have to allow full teams or duos (2 players) to join the queue. That's right! You will be able to play a game with your friends in the same team :) We think that players who plays with a partner or full team will present a higher skill level. Mostly such players will communicate with each other using a voice programm like skype, team speak, ventrilo or simply will sit near each other. Because of that their actions will be more coordinated which will significantly higher their skill-level as a team. We decided to prioritize matching teams with other teams. If you play with your partner or a team you will mostly find yourself in a match against other team rather then four players who don't really know each other.

Runes - should we implement autopicking them?
We want to create a game which will be very dynamic. As you propably know, there will be some spawns of the runes on the map, which will force players to move around them and fight. If one team decides to not go to the primary spot, which is in the middle of the map and where the most powerful runes spawns, then the second team will gain advantage - they've just picked a free powerful rune without losing a hp/mana. We asked ourselves a question. Should we keep Tibia like picking items (drag&drop) or should we enable autopicking runes when you stand on them. We decided that auto-picking will be best possible way. Why?

You move on the map using combination of WSAD and you have your mouse pointed on your teammate/opponent to eventually shoot a rune. You don't keep your mouse-pointer on yourself. If we would decide to keep a tibia-like picking, a player would have to move the mouse-pointer on themselves to drap&drop rune to his backpack, then move it back to the right for him position - usually on the part of the map where simply something happens. It takes precious seconds. We decided that we should mainly focus players on fighting. Autopicking is also more dynamic. However, we will keep drag&dropping runes from ground - it may be used as a skill. Imagine a situation where you run for a very important rune with your opponent. You know that he will be faster on the spot where rune spawns, so you decide to prevent it by drag&dropping it instead of waiting some miliseconds to pick them. If your oppenents decides to not drag&drop it to the position where he will securely pick it, then he will lose it.
This function may sometimes decide about winning or losing a game - we will definitely keep it in game :)

What are we working currentle on, and when the beta-tests will begin?
We are currently working on profession/class chosing. On arenas you simply create a character and you decide before a game what profession/class you want to play. We wanted to run beta-tests last weekend however, we decided that this functionality is a must-be in a beta tests. We are having plans to run it in the middle of a next week. Of course I will inform you about it and I will post here on otland some beta testing keys which will allow you to create an account and test Arenas :)
Here are some sneak previews:

Beautiful arena

2wnye0k.png

Chosing a profession window

I decided to write something about our thoughts how to build a new game. How to build a successful game. Game developers may find it interesting to read because I bring up developing and mental subjects on the board. I find these informations very valuable. Have fun reading :)

Game types - a path from casual to pro player
Arenas will be a new game. You may have some PVP experience which will make you a better players since the beginning, however you will have to get to know this game. It's mechanisms, how to play to be unkillable machine, how to co-operate with teammates. We had to ask ourselves a question, what makes a game a sucessful one? Lets take a look on football. What makes it fun to watch for us but not for our girlfriends? We have all played it. We are all casual players, we play from time to time on different skill level. From us, from casual players, a pro players borns. Pro players - a players who mastered a game, from whom we copy our movements, a players who we observe to work on our own skill. We love football cause the rules are simply and it's fun to play. We don't need a material gratification to play it, we play it cause we all love this feeling when you score a goal or play as a defender and perfectly guard your gate.

There are always two types of players: casual and pro players. As a casual player you play for fun, you play because you love a game. You don't have to be the best, you simply love it. Playing it makes you happy. You are starting to spend more and more time on the game. You mastered some movements, you know when you can initiate a fight, what rune combo to use to get a kill, how to move across the map. You started looking into your opponents minds. You can estimate your opponents agression level, you can predict his movements and adapt to your opponents playstyle to use it against him. Congratulations. You are now a PRO player. You will play against a players like you. A small mistake may decide about winning or losing a game. You will find it sometimes frustrating however, becoming the best player in the world will keep popping in your mind. You will ocassionaly play a games with pro players on lower levels or casual players. You will see a huge gap between your and their skilllevel, about how you treat this game, and how they do it. Of course you will have a great results against such players but... you will find it boring. You will want to play against the best players possible. You will start having first fans, people who wants to learn from you, who wants you to teach them. You will start becoming a friends with people like you. Normal guys who loves playing and competiting. Competition - it's a keyword for a pro player. Welcome to the pro-players madness. Something which keeps us in a game and can't let us leave it. The game became a lifestyle. I write it as a programmer who understands it, as a player who is addicted to moba games, a half-professional dota player (vice-championship in my country) and former top200 LOL player. This experience helped me to understand our own mental mechanisms beyond what we do. This also helped us to create a best possible environment for casual and pro players.

We will seperate pro players from casual ones. Casual players will be rewarded for simply playing a game. On arenas you start on 1 level, you can get up to 15 levels which gives you more opportunities. This is a "casual" time. In this time as a game-developer you can't punish your players for playing a game. You can only award them for trying. If they lose, you award them less, if they win, you award them more. You have to understand that you can't discourage them - they may quit your game then! When they advance to the highest possible level, they may keep being a casual players or move one step forward and start playing on professional level. They can start playing ranked games. This level awards you for winning a games but punishes you for losing them. Of course we are talking about your ELO rating which will be increased when you win and lowered when you lose a game. Since professional players loves competition this is something perfect for them.

You may find in our project a lot of similarities to League of Legends. I find this game the most user-friendly game ever. They created a game on unbelievable high level and merged the greatest ideas from all other games. A synonymous word for League of Legends is perfection. If you want to create something good, you have to learn from the best.

Last edited:
Back