• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Research] New ways of bulding Npcs

Optimizations have nothing to do with what the game is. Check this analogy:
Lua:
function Sum100(x) return x + 100 end

function Sum100(x)
for i = 1, 100 do x = x + 1 end
return x
end

Doesn't this two codes do the exact same thing? I haven't changed what they are, just how they do it. This is a very simple example but you can extend it to many kinds of optimizations (design, readability, time, memory)
Well two codes do not prove an entire spectrum of optimization to be valid for this game. You even said it yourself:
[...] If I'm already promoted why the npc would ask if I want to get promoted and wait for me to confirm before saying I can't do that? [...]
By optimizating the dialogues like this, you're essentially changing the game as we know it, in one way or another, even if it's just a small change.
But sure I do agree with you it probably could be done to optimize the whole shenanigans, but who will do it for free? As I stated earlier, I think you're a bit too overambitious.

We should work with what we have, since it's actually working... If you'd be down to change the world for us, by all means, do so. I just think it's highly unlikely that it will happen.

Yamaken is a personal friend of mine, he came to me a few weeks ago asking if we could work together to re-design a few things from source to Lua.
People interested in doing things for free there are many, but most of them are scared to do something that won't be used or that in the end they will realize it wasn't as good as they first thought. So in essence, the first thing is to design a plan and make the rules straight. I can even write some articles of what to consider when helping with this task.

It's not overambitious, think for a while how many people have wasted time redesigning/creating the same scripts privately as many others have already done (also in private). It's so stupid that we are spending time and potential doing things that could have been released years ago and make us free to spend time in other relevant things.

I hate having to develop simple things, it's the worst nightmare for me. But unfortunately, for my server I had to write from the scratch all the tools from tibia because the versions I have found had bugs or weren't safe (shovel, firebug, rope, fishing rod). Think of all the incredible systems I could be working to make my server different if I didn't had to spend days making ridiculous things others have done too?

Also, there's many things I don't understand about bit operations in the source of the game. I believe many people spend hours trying to figure things out and do their shit when it would way beneficial for everyone if just one person had to figure that out to change it for an easier approach or to document it.

Community can be a great thing, unfortunately this one is not mature enough to think this way. We still think downloading the public repository, fixing all the bugs in source, paying for someone to fix the ones we can't and keeping it as an advantage towards other servers is the best we can do.
Later we give up because our server is being affected by something we can't find, that is probably fixed in another's guy server. We used to have many servers out there, many people involved. Now there's just a few of us, and I've saw great developers rage quit community because they have contributed but when they needed help no one was there to help (me included).

Last edited:
Yamaken is a personal friend of mine, he came to me a few weeks ago asking if we could work together to re-design a few things from source to Lua.
People interested in doing things for free there are many, but most of them are scared to do something that won't be used or that in the end they will realize it wasn't as good as they first thought. So in essence, the first thing is to design a plan and make the rules straight. I can even write some articles of what to consider when helping with this task.

It's not overambitious, think for a while how many people have wasted time redesigning/creating the same scripts privately as many others have already done (also in private). It's so stupid that we are spending time and potential doing things that could have been released years ago and make us free to spend time in other relevant things.

I hate having to develop simple things, it's the worst nightmare for me. But unfortunately, for my server I had to write from the scratch all the tools from tibia because the versions I have found had bugs or weren't safe (shovel, firebug, rope, fishing rod). Think of all the incredible systems I could be working to make my server different if I didn't had to spend days making ridiculous things others have done too?

Also, there's many things I don't understand about bit operations in the source of the game. I believe many people spend hours trying to figure things out and do their shit when it would way beneficial for everyone if just one person had to figure that out to change it for an easier approach or to document it.

Community can be a great thing, unfortunately this one is not mature enough to think this way. We still think downloading the public repository, fixing all the bugs in source, paying for someone to fix the ones we can't and keeping it as an advantage towards other servers is the best we can do.
Later we give up because our server is being affected by something we can't find, that is probably fixed in another's guy server. We used to have many servers out there, many people involved. Now there's just a few of us, and I've saw great developers rage quit community because they have contributed but when they needed help no one was there to help (me included).
I like the mind set, the point is, what you waiting for? You want that others get to that point so you just join when everything is perfect?

I want us to work together, I mean, really work together. I have much to contribute but I can't do it all by myself since I work 11 hours a day and go to university (4 hours). This leaves me with 9 hours a day to participate in extracurricular activities, sleep and eat.

Back