• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[RME] Added in possibility to script map based actions and movements directly?

Good or bad idea?

• Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters

Ezzz

Developer of Nostalrius and The Violet Project
Solutions
Reaction score
It's a pain in the butt to map and code your RPG map within Remere and OTServ itself when you have many teleports, and switches lying around and it's even worse when they all connect each other as a big quest.

I wonder, if it'd seem a bad or good idea to you people out there to implement LUA code functionality inside OTBM files, along RME, so when editing an item in the map editor, can change within the properties dialog if the item has an action or a movement, and then, the coding text area (with highlighting), so the server can just boot up and use this code for each of the actions (setting them into the item as a variable), instead of having all those lua lying around for things that we're only using in the map.

This can also, I think, increase performance when the server is searching for a movement ID/action ID (although, extremely minimal), instead of doing so, the code can just interpret the existing LUA code for the given item.

Does it seem like bad practice to you?
What else can you suggest?

This is only something I came up with while doing a big quest, and the pain it is to me to manage all the actions, having to re-open many other scripts just to check where is set what and what for.

I'm a fan of the idea & can see a lot of good utility in it particularly for mappers being able to ship a full product with all map-altering scripts and quests (levers, tiles, portals, action-based-spawning etc.)

To make this "entry level scripter" friendly, a set of standard scripts could be built in & attached to items such as switches with a user-friendly interface to define what they do.
This could also serve as an important learning bridge to take new community members to their next skill level.

This is good idea, seen it in action few times (there were some demo programs what did that) and discussions for this idea.
In theory I could already implement it for the map editor project(not RME) if I learn how to modify files with c#
But I don't need it myself and don't have free time for such a side project. It will take me at least a week if not month to do something like that.

I myself have this idea kinda vice versa. My server on startUp puts the actionID's on items or spawns them on map or what ever is needed.
But that requires more programming knowledge than it would require if the files were generated by map editor.

Saving Lua code inside the OTBM would make it a pain to edit it without running RME. That destroys the purpose of using Lua.

If you wanna integrate the data folder with RME, that would be more interesting, but if you were to do that you should just make a data pack manager integrated with RME, to edit items, monsters, etc.

missclicked bad vote damn me
edit: ohh i dint know i can change my vote xD

Saving Lua code inside the OTBM would make it a pain to edit it without running RME. That destroys the purpose of using Lua.

If you wanna integrate the data folder with RME, that would be more interesting, but if you were to do that you should just make a data pack manager integrated with RME, to edit items, monsters, etc.

If you could emphase that idea into something visually could come in handy, I'm planning in seriously doing what I later mentioned.

Back