• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Running TFS under any Distro (with chroot+Debian)

Dan Mandes

The same old Man
Reaction score
When you think Linux, you think many Distros with many attributes and many ways to got your things, because it, usually a way with one Distro is different with another way with another Distro.
In this topic, I'll show How to compile The Forgotten Server under ANY Distribution, using the way: running the Debian components under any distro.
It's not visualization, no performance loss you'll find.

- Requirements:

First, your system must have pre-installed ar (from binutils package).

- Let's go!
| - Getting debootstrap
1: Download this package, for your arch. If has questions about your architeture, download i386 version, or if you have sure that your distro is 64 bits version, download amd64 version:
Code:
mkdir ~/debootstrap
cd ~/debootstrap
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.3.3.2_all.deb
(yes, is in .deb extension)
2: Run it:
Code:
ar -x debootstrap_0.3.3.2_all.deb
cd /
zcat ~/debootstrap/data.tar.gz  | tar xv
Right! Your debootstrap is installed!

| - Downloading Debian essential files
Let's put debootstrap to work:
1: Enter in superuser mode (sudo su or just su command, and your password or root's password)
2: Create the root folder:
Code:
mkdir /otservroot
cd /otservroot
3: Run debootstrap:
Code:
debootstrap --arch [b][YOUR ARCHITETURE][/b] [b][YOUR DEBIAN VERSION][/b] . [b][YOUR FTP SITE][/b]
Architeture: Again, If has questions about your architeture, download i386 version, or if you have sure that your distro is 64 bits version, download amd64 version:
Debian Version: You can choose: etch [100% sure that it will work], sarge, sid, lenny...
FTP Site: Index of /debian/

EXAMPLES FOR IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING
Code:
debootstrap --arch i386 etch . http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

After you run the command, your pc will download all essencial packages for your computer and will install in your chroot distro

| - Installing the dependences and compiling:
1: First, you must download my script:
2: Now, you must enter in chroot mode:
Code:
 chroot .
3: run my script:
Code:
chmod +x daniloscript.sh
./daniloscript.sh

The config.lua is in /opt/tfs, the data directory is in /opt/tfs/data, and to run, just execute: /usr/local/bin/tfs.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Why dont you use wine instead? More simple?

Why use WINE when you can run it natively on Linux? It's not more simple to use WINE in my opinion, and even if it would be, trying to make it run in native Linux would be worth the time.

Why dont you use wine instead? More simple?

Otserv running under Wine = High CPU usage and many lag
Otserv running without wine = Low CPU usage and no lag

I am running a War server based in TFS server on my PC, in a Athlon64 X2 4400, I am getting 20-% of the Core (10-% of the CPU) with 44 players!

Wine is not an emulator, it just emulates windows api calls, therefore if TFS doesn't make any, almost same performance.

Wine is not an emulator, it just emulates windows api calls, therefore if TFS doesn't make any, almost same performance.

Well, I believe Winsock would count as Windows API calls.
listen()
accept()
select()
read()
write()
..and more.

*sigh*

How to "First, your system must have pre-installed ar (from binutils package)."? And as @UP said, plx rehost!

Back