• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server Hosting Assistance / Help me to figure this out

moekl

Reaction score
My Idea
So i basicly own a server IBM x3650 m3 and would like to know before i start offering a hosting service, what is the main thing that i should keep in focus when it comes to security of my network and the Hosting service, what should i consider. then im thinking about doing hosting via VM's how would i make them secure. how do i make the VM's have different public network ip. how many VM's could my server handle when it comes to tibia hosting as an example.

im basicly thinking about adding physical network port for each VM i would be hosting so it has a physical connection directly to the router or switch. is that a unsafe idea ?

Specs
2x Xeon x5670 12 cores 24 threads
50 GB Ram / 200GB RAM CAPABILITY but 50GB Right now
2TB Storage / i have about 16 flashdrive slots left for disks so im gonna upgrade that too

Hope i can barrow some of your time for some ideas how to offer a safe and secure hosting service while the performance is very good too.

my network is currently 100/100 should i upgrade that too or is it not necessery ?

Thank you
Moekl

depending on the size of server(mainly map) ( i would be able to host about 5 separate servers on this with ease.)

I see lots of issues with this idea of offering a hosting service.
1: You seem to have very little experience with virtualizing and handling a complicated infrastructure. How can you provide a stable and secure environment if you don't even know how you will approach the hosting?
2: Where is this server running? In a data center or in your apartment? One will make hosting possible, the other will make it impossible.
3: No, 100up 100down is by far not enough and without a huge backbone you can forget about it.

I like the idea of giving this community a good option to host their OT Servers, but you gotta make sure everything is stable and secure. Maintaining such an infrastructure can be very difficult and time-consuming. You need to be aware of that.

Now about the approach
Yes, you should virtualize. There are a few options out there to do so. The most known are probably VirtualBox and VMWare. VMWare is used in the professional sector as well. But there are more, less know, virtualization solutions out there used in the professional area. I personally really like Proxmox. Also because I like supporting open source software.
You can solve the issue with hardware separated IPs by using multiple network interface cards.
There may be complications if you use one IP for multiple servers with different customers.
You will need 2 mirrored hardware firewalls and multiple professional switches to secure a safe and stable environment. This will cost you a fortune.
And you will need a very good network connection with fallback possibilities.
This is basically the minimum for a good hosting service. Professional hosting services provide a lot more than that.

Before you get started with offering Hosting Services, you should make yourself familiar with a server environment. That is to say how to manage/secure/troubleshoot a server, what types of virtualization exist, why you'd want to settle with a specific type of virtualization, how networking works..

Hosting a server for fun is one thing. Offering services professionally is a whole different story. You'll have to deal with script kiddies DDoSing your server, abuse messages from your provider, further hardening the server, OS upgrades..

Back