• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server Save Freezes

Faramir

Reaction score
Hi, well, first of all sorry if I post in the wrong section.

I have one problema that I'm sure a lot of peoples have it too, my server is freezing when it saves. The save is spending 1~1.5 min about and some players get kicked cause their modems aren't configured to keep connection alive without a server answer for this long time.

It causes i think (almost sure) is because there is a lot of players online about 130~150.

Well, what i want to ask you guys is if do someone know a new (or modified) system to improve server save or somethink that could be wrong in my server causing this

Thanks for all

You can't fix ur map is big it takes time to save. I guess but not sure.
just a suggestion coz I never faced this I always use small maps.

Are you talking about saveData()?

On my server saveData() takes 1~1.5 seconds (a small freeze) to save with ~120 players online (my map have 18MB).

For best performance, your MySQL configuration and HD I/O speed are the parameters.

Hello, thanks for answers ^^

@nightmare

yes, i'm using the saveData called by the lua funcion

hum, if your save only request 1~1.5 seconds i think i've a huge problem O.O

My specs: xeon 3150, 4gb ram, 100mb connection

i've already configured mysql .cfg and about HD what should I do ? (i'm using debian)

if possible could you post your mysql .cfg ?

What is the map size, how many houses?

About the HD, i'm talking about the HD interface, the SAS 15K RPM is the best, but i think it isn't your problem, because you have a lot of RAM and rarely MySQL will write directly to HD.

Last edited:
if i cant fix why nightmare's serversave is faster than mine ?

why map have 16mb but i don't think houses is the problem i think the problem is how many items the players is holding (dp's and stuff), cause the time to save is clearly related to how many players is online at save moment.

i think there is 110~120 houses, and mysql shows me that there is only 20.000 items in houses cause i've made a rule to try limit items per sqm to see if it help me somehow but it didnt =\

I use a 25mb map~ And I run like 140 players online and I use aprox 1.5 - 2 seconds to save.

@Note:
If you use config.lua save, which also cleans the server the freeze will probaly be increased.

@up
o.o when did you get 140 players or even 95(ur siggy) last i remember it was like 40all the time during the day and near zero past 9pm CEST. nice keep it up

at topic my server taks less then 3seconds to save but like 45seconds if i do a map clean

@up same question ... how to do a good mysql configuration, nightmare could u post ur mysql.cfg for us ??

i use lua to save not server save from config.lua, it don't do any clean so i think clean isnt the problem

but thx anyway :p

thx for all to answer the topic but i still with the the problem =(

I got 25MB map and it takes about 10 seconds :p But well, I have 400 players and 150MB database.

@Nightmare
Don't post your my.cnf! ^_______^ I was searching like 3 days for proper configuration and still did it on own experience, because you cannot find _ANYTHING_ on internet about it.

@All
google.com and search, ha! =P

I got 25MB map and it takes about 10 seconds :p But well, I have 400 players and 150MB database.

@Nightmare
Don't post your my.cnf! ^_______^ I was searching like 3 days for proper configuration and still did it on own experience, because you cannot find _ANYTHING_ on internet about it.

@All
google.com and search, ha! =P

Nightmare, do not belive him, hes liar! <_<

@elf
u're right saying that we can find something related to config mysql i find two tutorials one year ago that i used to make my own my.cfg one of them was a written by ibm .... so if ibm has made a worse tutorial i would like to advice them ... i don't know if i can posts links here, otherwise i'll post the tutorial link

The MySQL settings depends on your hardware, probably my settings will not serve for you.

Open the file and search on google for each "variables" to see which is the function of each.

@Elf

I did it myself too, not very easy :X
(change, restart, test... hange, restart, test... hange, restart, test...)

The MySQL settings depends on your hardware, probably my settings will not serve for you.

Open the file and search on google for each "variables" to see which is the function of each.

@Elf

I did it myself too, not very easy :X
(change, restart, test... hange, restart, test... hange, restart, test...)
Yeah.
I was doing same when migrated few websites from virtual servers to one dedicated. Took 4 days to handle everything (because load was randomly jumping. Like 24, 32, 17, 12, 8; pwned server...).

Code:
key_buffer
max_allowed_packet
table_cache
sort_buffer_size
read_buffer_size
read_rnd_buffer_size
myisam_sort_buffer_size
thread_cache_size
query_cache_size
thread_concurrency

The InnoDB settings are important too.

thanx nightmare, i'm using myIsam engine cause i've made some tests using inno and i got less performance than myisam, are you sure that i have to use inno ??

Back