• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Servers this days

I'll give you one more chance to read this right and truly understand what I meant. I've never said the problem is the competition, the problem is that the public isn't open minded. The best custom servers I've seen didn't worked just simply because there's no public. People like numbers, wars, using bot to level faster and kill everyone that plays legally and exploring bugs. If your server doesn't have that, it really don't matter what it haves different.

I've designed several systems that people never thought could be possible, most of the people that discovered it was amazed at first glance. Yet, my server is empty; I'm not whining because of that, it's just the truth. No matter how good you are, how good you treat your public. All they care is being ahead of the others.

You are always free to disagree with me, but if you plan to have a good server soon you'll understand that I'm right.

When you say the problem remains in the public you fail hard. Pick one:

# You are aiming your game to the wrong public.
# You made a game that actually sux.
# You advertised it wrongly.

When a game fail it's either a design failure or a merchandise failure, either way it's never public fault. Running away from the blame won't get you anywhere in the long run.

use the same argument to prove to me people voting on Trump, it wasn't public's fault?
What about nazism?

You freeing public from the blame is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My server would work if it wasn't for a few trolls that kept killing everyone around until they gave up. Indeed it worked for a couple weeks. Anyway, my goal here isn't explain my case. I'm just sharing my experience, wheter you trust it or not.

use the same argument to prove to me people voting on Trump, it wasn't public's fault?
What about nazism?

You freeing public from the blame is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My server would work if it wasn't for a few trolls that kept killing everyone around until they gave up. Indeed it worked for a couple weeks. Anyway, my goal here isn't explain my case. I'm just sharing my experience, wheter you trust it or not.
You being the developer of this server is the one to blame not the stupid trolls killing everyone, this is something you could have prevented or at least minimized.

What about nazism?

So you're telling me there was no action you could've taken against these "few trolls" to maintain a good environment for your players?
It's funny how people tend to push away blame whenever they feel it's not up to them to make something a success.

And to get back to your weird Nazism mix-in; it was actually well "marketed", if you want to go that way. People were actually convinced that they were doing right, and someone made them think that way. And since Hitler targeted a certain demographic within Germany, he gained a whole lot of followers.

So, why put DDoS protect if the public never fault? Why run around, searching for bugs, if public "will never" explore (because they don't fault)? The fault is not 100% of the public, but, exempt the public of a portion of the fault is a dumb way of think.
If we search lots of different ways to protect our servers of trolling people, is because the public can ruin a server.

So, why put DDoS protect if the public never fault? Why run around, searching for bugs, if public "will never" explore (because they don't fault)? The fault is not 100% of the public, but, exempt the public of a portion of the fault is a dumb way of think.
If we search lots of different ways to protect our servers of trolling people, is because the public can ruin a server.
By doing nothing in prevention allows anyone include the person(s) running it to ruin a server..

So, unlike Peonso said, the public does have a portion of the fault when a server closes. (not all the servers, I'm talking about the example that Night Wolf gave.)
If the public were as "nice" as he implies, things like that would be totally unnecessary. That was the point.

imo

Custom servers aren't dead, but people don't want to spend their time in low exp servers with "no players" and with a probably deadline (servers aren't forever, right?).

And people don't like complicated servers nowadays I guess... Like 15 new custom systems that u need to get strong, but u need to learn how they work. If u do that the right way (OTClient), probably will be a good idea. But if u just put some modal windows or whatever, man...

Guys comon, you're smarter than that. Ofc you can't predict what a hell people will do in your server. No one can predict all the ways people will try to explore your software.

You can sure learn the common ways and try to prevent agains them, but all softwares have bugs. It's just dumb think you've thought about everything.

I have litte free time nowadays and I only play 7.4 OTs. Lowrate servers require a lot more time and I do not have that. Custom servers just increases the time everything would take. I LOVE custom servers but I just don't have the time to get into one. So RL map is simply just convenient because I know the map and spawns. I really wish custom servers ruled over RL maps tho. It hurts me everytime I see a really good custom server have 0-2 players online.

i like this custom server's with low rate just for enjoy new things

I have always dreamed about working on a custom project, but never had an occasion to do so. Also I would start new project, but it's even harder to find team to create something than to actually create something xD
I love how many possibilities, ideas we can get creating fully custom server. About interest in custom servers, there is always some people who will play the custom servers, but mostly people just want real map copy to do fast pvp and shit or because they just know the thing already.

I have always dreamed about working on a custom project, but never had an occasion to do so. Also I would start new project, but it's even harder to find team to create something than to actually create something xD
I love how many possibilities, ideas we can get creating fully custom server. About interest in custom servers, there is always some people who will play the custom servers, but mostly people just want real map copy to do fast pvp and shit or because they just know the thing already.
You could just start working on something, initially use the default server, build a game around another game whether it be an existing ot, a console game such as nintendo, playstation or even non-tibia related online game.. there is nothing wrong with copying an idea from someone else especially if the goal is to improve on the original.

Initially the majority of the work you are going to do all by yourself because people are not motivated by non-live projects and some need financial motivation..
I have thousands of sprites at my disposal but I won't be adding them to the client, at least not just yet, I am focusing on other things such as spells.. my project has been in development for years because I lacked the knowledge to build certain things, but you on the other hand seem to know a bit more and I am sure you could get something up and running relatively quickly.. But then again you don't want to rush it either.

What about nazism?

Your analogy is not valid, there is no public in an election or in nazism, they are not entertainment. Your game/otserv is entertainment and by definition something designed to entertain others, and you blame people by not being entertained by it, makes no sense.

Your analogy is not valid, there is no public in an election or in nazism, they are not entertainment. Your game/otserv is entertainment and by definition something designed to entertain others, and you blame people by not being entertained by it, makes no sense.
You do realize the entertainment in a MMORPG depends not only from the developers but also the interactions between players?
Again, I'm just sharing my experience, it's ok to disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that I got a point, at least a very personal and specific one.

My server didn't worked because of the public, they were spoiled, trolls, always wanted to take advantage of everything and in the end when we were collecting feedbacks to know what to improve or how to be better they didn't gave a chance for us to implement anything. Most just left and said they would be back when the game reseted. Half of the game started pressuring about a reset, the other half said if the game reseted they would quit.

My public was splited in half to many times, until there was no one else. Nobody could do anything, there were too many different people with different thoughts about how the server should run. I could make a parallel with politics here and say about left or right alignment but I don't think you'll relate to that as we do here in Brazil. Perhaps republicans and democrats? Imagine that the government was split 50/50 of each side. That was the mess we had to deal, and despite our almost unhuman efforts (seriously, I didn't slept for two weeks and I even had an ulcera in the eye because of that) there was no way to save the server.
All I can say is: if you ask individually what each player thinks need to be improved, you'll end up with WW3.

Just so you know:
I created an IA to auto detect botters and put them in a black list, from time to time our crew entered the game to check people in this list and we had some scripts that 'tested' bot usage such as removing 90% of health/mana and adding it in Xms later to check if they'll insta pot or use combed spells to heal, or creating a mob in the range of the player to check if he instantly attacked and that was all the proof that we needed.
Even with this proofs, people started creating rumors that we were banning people from a certain guild because we wanted to help the rival guild. Most of the players took that as truth and started hating the staff. We explained many times why the bans but they rather believe their friends to assume they were all a bunch of botters. This when they didn't use as excuse that they were only using because others were using too, and with this we banned more half of the server. The last half that played legally stoped because there were less than 30 players online.

You do realize the entertainment in a MMORPG depends not only from the developers but also the interactions between players?
Again, I'm just sharing my experience, it's ok to disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that I got a point, at least a very personal and specific one.

My server didn't worked because of the public, they were spoiled, trolls, always wanted to take advantage of everything and in the end when we were collecting feedbacks to know what to improve or how to be better they didn't gave a chance for us to implement anything. Most just left and said they would be back when the game reseted. Half of the game started pressuring about a reset, the other half said if the game reseted they would quit.

My public was splited in half to many times, until there was no one else. Nobody could do anything, there were too many different people with different thoughts about how the server should run. I could make a parallel with politics here and say about left or right alignment but I don't think you'll relate to that as we do here in Brazil. Perhaps republicans and democrats? Imagine that the government was split 50/50 of each side. That was the mess we had to deal, and despite our almost unhuman efforts (seriously, I didn't slept for two weeks and I even had an ulcera in the eye because of that) there was no way to save the server.
All I can say is: if you ask individually what each player thinks need to be improved, you'll end up with WW3.

Just so you know:
I created an IA to auto detect botters and put them in a black list, from time to time our crew entered the game to check people in this list and we had some scripts that 'tested' bot usage such as removing 90% of health/mana and adding it in Xms later to check if they'll insta pot or use combed spells to heal, or creating a mob in the range of the player to check if he instantly attacked and that was all the proof that we needed.
Even with this proofs, people started creating rumors that we were banning people from a certain guild because we wanted to help the rival guild. Most of the players took that as truth and started hating the staff. We explained many times why the bans but they rather believe their friends to assume they were all a bunch of botters. This when they didn't use as excuse that they were only using because others were using too, and with this we banned more half of the server. The last half that played legally stoped because there were less than 30 players online.

You described the most generic playerbase ever, that's just default behavior every developer has to deal with, people do succeed through it. You not foreseeing it and thinking you made what you could and that it was just publics fault show inexperience.

Anecdotal evidence - Wikipedia

I give up, yes, was inexperience, ofc.

11 years in otserver with one of my servers having over 700 players, 5 years developing in unity, made over 10 games;

It's my fault that I didn't foreseen such retardness, including yours trying to talk what you clearly know nothing about. I can't believe I even lost my time trying to show you my point, it was like talking to a wall. People from open tibia are so closed mind. I'm truly sorry for you guys.

I recognize the issues you're describing Night Wolf, but I wouldn't agree that the players are to blame when the game allows them to behave in a certain way.

Don't forget that creativity is key. You can apply it to every aspect of the game.

The OP was related to custom map low exp, I was just saying that creating a custom server will make people dislike you server bc tibia's public want things easy. They don't wanna learn anything and therefore they don't really play this style very much.

Compared to global maps, you will never have such amount of players by creating something custom, just because people feel invaded by the idea of the unknown.

There's a text that fits very perfectly the idea:

Someone who looks like an enemy
will be treated like an enemy.
An idea that confronts
is an idea that will be rejected.
Be subtle, and use your opponent's language;
But not their rules.
Slip by their natural defenses,
and plant seeds of doubt and confusion.
A slowly growing tree will shatter a sidewalk
and the concrete will not notice,
because it was always there.
There are better ways to change someone's mind
than by screaming at them.

What I was saying is no matter how good you game is, if you advertise it as an ot, the public you'll have is the tibia public and they'll be expecting something very close to tibia. If you deliver something different, they'll dislike and criticize.

If you put IA in all npcs, they'll say that npcs talk to much and the chat changes too often. If you improve monsters behaviour, they will say it's too hard and it's not like tibia global. If you ever had an OT you must relate to those critics, it can't be an isolated case with my server only.

@Night Wolf you keep saying the same thing over and over.. "it isn't your fault.. the public is to blame" but that isn't true at all..
If you put out a product and it is defective or exploitable then the fault is all your own, no one else is to blame.

It is your sole responsibility to correct these issues, I am sorry you had problems with players but its your job to correct them, no one else and to expect people to behave or not exploit weakness is just an irrational way of thinking.

You have to think in terms of coding.. we as developers have to think ahead of how whatever we are building will have a negative effect or how it can be exploited and put preventive measures in place, if we don't do that or if we are too lazy to then we no one to blame but ourselves.

Yes I said the same thing over and over too.

Back