• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

software version - malformed file

Swiff

Reaction score
It has been a while since I devled into open tibia, but I felt the yearly itch again. I wanted to try out my server a little and I found a new error that I haven't seen before!
checking software version... failed checking - malformed file.

It doesen't seem to make any impact as of yet. But due to curiosity and, ofcourse, that pesky line that says something's wrong, I want to find a solution.

I've used this server for a few years now and this never came up. I haven't done any modifications to it since I last used it, can someone tell me what this means?

Aye I did a search on support forum and found nothing that seemed related.

Any advice, solution or hint would be awesome, thanks!

If something is unclear this is one of the lines that appears in the console when I run the server. It's the 0.3.6 crying damson.
Anyone?

If something is unclear this is one of the lines that appears in the console when I run the server. It's the 0.3.6 crying damson.
Anyone?

Its clear. The thting is the xmls that kept track of the blacklist and versions have probably been removed from OTland. If you have the source code of that server you can remove the check and recompile it.

There have been a few posts related to this or the blacklist.

I thought I had the source, however I think it may have been on a crashed harddrive. In any case I wouldn't be able to remove it without learning if can touch or not (I'm not friends with C or the extra one).
I'm still not sure what the blacklist and software version has to do with eachother, or why it was checking towards otland ( I do remember it checks it).

@Otserver.cpp remove:
Code:
    std::clog << ">> Checking software version...";
    if(xmlDocPtr doc = xmlParseFile(VERSION_CHECK))
    {
        xmlNodePtr p, root = xmlDocGetRootElement(doc);
        if(!xmlStrcmp(root->name, (const xmlChar*)"versions"))
        {
            p = root->children->next;
            if(!xmlStrcmp(p->name, (const xmlChar*)"entry"))
            {
                std::string version;
                int32_t patch, build, timestamp;

bool tmp = false;
                if(readXMLString(p, "version", version) && version != SOFTWARE_VERSION)
                    tmp = true;

if(readXMLInteger(p, "patch", patch) && patch > VERSION_PATCH)
                    tmp = true;

if(readXMLInteger(p, "build", build) && build > VERSION_BUILD)
                    tmp = true;

if(readXMLInteger(p, "timestamp", timestamp) && timestamp > VERSION_TIMESTAMP)
                    tmp = true;

if(tmp)
                {
                    std::clog << " ";
                    if(version.find("_SVN") == std::string::npos)
                        std::clog << "running sub version, please mind it's unstable and only for testing purposes!";
                    else
                        std::clog << "outdated, please consider upgrading!";

std::clog << std::endl << "> Current version information - version: "
                        << SOFTWARE_VERSION << ", patch: " << VERSION_PATCH
                        << ", build: " << VERSION_BUILD << ", timestamp: " << VERSION_TIMESTAMP
                        << "." << std::endl << "> Latest version information - version: "
                        << version << ", patch: " << patch << ", build: " << build
                        << ", timestamp: " << timestamp << "." << std::endl;
                    if(g_config.getBool(ConfigManager::CONFIRM_OUTDATED_VERSION) &&
                        asLowerCaseString(version).find("_svn") == std::string::npos)
                    {
                        std::clog << "Continue? (y/N)" << std::endl;
                        char buffer = getch();
                        if(buffer != 121 && buffer != 89)
                            startupErrorMessage("Aborted.");
                    }
                }
                else
                    std::clog << "up to date!" << std::endl;
            }
            else
                std::clog << "failed checking - malformed entry." << std::endl;
        }
        else
            std::clog << "failed checking - malformed file." << std::endl;

xmlFreeDoc(doc);
    }
    else
        std::clog << "failed - could not parse remote file (are you connected to any network?)" << std::endl;

@ dom I don't know what you mean with rev. I'll try to find it anyways.

I only found old broken links of 0.3.6pl1/cd for 8.54 so far - and I didn't find how to check the rev version..
I've only compiled once, and I'm looking at sourceforge right now, latest versions are 0.6.2 updated last march 2009. So, I have no idea what rev is, and what 0.3.6 really stands for. Feeling like a noob.
I know they moved to github, but when I searched for open Tibia and the forgotten server I don't recognize the contributors names..

I searched and found a thread where someone asked for rev and he answered 0.3.6 cd, is he as noob as me? Or am I missing something.

Alright, for now

I tried to find info about 0.4, but nothing in dl section, and when I searcher I got like 50 threads found in support only, some made by dominique here ;P 0.4 = tfs 1.0? for client 10+? which of these are referd to as "rev" ?
I learned rev is the collection of files that you compile to make a version, atleast that's what my impression was right now.

Why did I start meddling with this stuff again -.^

edit: downloading random version atm to see which one I used
edit2: I think I downloaded the distro finished (cryingdamson6pl1). - I have sooo many different distros that I've tried and used, mostly for 8.54, but still so many..

Last edited:
Same things been happening to me on my home computer when running my Test Server before implementing updates to my Live Server. It says the same thing, but it always runs fine. No idea why.

@Swiff 0.4 is not the same as 1.0, they are very different. You can get source here for a few 04 revs. A 'rev' is short for revision, the number that accompanies the major version number(0.3.6, 0.2.15, 0.4, 1.0), most popular 'revs' are 3777 and 3884 because they are for 8.60

http://forgottenserver.otland.net/ is the domain that the exe checks to see version information.
http://forgottenserver.otland.net/statuslist.xml and thtat is why you get malformed file

The server will run with absolutely no problems, I always remove it not to be annoyed by it, same as the OTB check.

Last edited:
Unfortunately 8.6 didn't work for me. I was debuged on a number of different spots, since I do't get any cosole errors, and only errors from the tibia client upon restart, I don't know how big of a problem it'll be to "repair" it to work for 8.6
Unfortunately I couldn't find the 0.3.6 source on that page.

When I'm "done" with my current objectives I may consider trying to upgrade to 8.6, compilign it myself and making (in my case search or request complete codes or guidance) the changes for features I long for that can only be made through source, or is most applicable through "re-compiling".

Thanks for clearing a few things for me though!

@dominique120

I really don't like to upgrade the servers, the one I've been working on now have been sinec 8.1 when it was xml, from there it went to 8.4 and then 8.54
I have hundreds of scripts, and a 40 mb map. Everytime I changed distro I had to edit lines in different scripts and change items on my map. Also I found that the most scripts are written for 0.3.6 compability, and since the scripts differ in compability I fear I have to do alot of stuff in order to get a newever version - to a for me unknown end, seems the server I have is one of the most stable ones one could get, atleast so I was told once when the question arised.

I feel the only thing I really need is to be what I am, creative. I would ofcourse like to make a few source edits, but since I lack the knowledge - which would probably be required for any newver versions at some point anyways, I see very little gain for me to start using another version/distro/svn/rev/client. I am also using simones map editor, which hasn't been updated (atleast since last I checked) for a long time, and that could also bring new problems if i were to upgrade on other ends.

I will, like always however, consider, and look into it bit by bit if I feel there's something big I'm missing out on.

Thanks for linking in the other thread, I'm checking out what this SVN is atm.

Back