• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team Tales of Middle-Earth looking for ambitious individuals!

Tenzhiro

Fool of a Took!
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
generatedtext.png
Howdy!​

By clicking on this thread you probably heard of Middle-Earth, in that case you can imagine that world recreated in an Open Tibia server is a very ambitious and challenging project. That is why I am looking for similar minded people with pure love for Tolkien's universe and Tibia whom wants to create something magical and atmospheric. (If you don't like to read, just read what is bolded might give you some insight)

But since it's so damn huge and detailed we will take this project step by step and will work within certain ACTS. At the moment we are fixed on The Shire and will work our way east, see it as launching a new expansion every ACT after the first. That being said we are especially looking for people who have considerable expertise with TFS and people whom are experienced with making (and feeling) Tibia mapping and especially those who are ambitious enough to keep on going.

We are considering a custom client but haven't really decided yet since there are still other priorities to consider, we also need to know what we need for each feature we're going to present so we can decide based on that. At the moment of writing we are discussing the game design and making a road map for organisation and prioritization so that things can kick-off.

lotr-png-2.png

Most items, creatures, interior/exteriors etc are aimed to be created from scratch but there are already default sprites that look good in general and we will go through everything to see if there could be any usage of some sort maybe tweak them a bit.
Also the world we want to create will be a immersive one for example; when you will walk into a town, you will see people speaking to each other, NPC timers since shop/barkeepers also needs to sleep.. changing landscapes depending on what season of the year it is and such.

I cannot stress enough that this will be a lot of work and that the only way to make this possible is bit by bit till we reach Mordor (after that we'll see), focusing on the themes given for each ACT, for example in the first ACT we will start close to Bag End.
The Shire, a region exclusively for Hobbits. (Dwarves sometimes travel on The Great Road and Elves on their way to The Grey Havens) while working on this ACT we don't need to focus on what is beyond just yet, just on things that are appear in The Shire. So mapping only The Shire, making character sprites for mainly the different player races and Hobbit NPC's with some exceptions, creatures that would inhabit The Shire etc this will go till we reached the final chapter.

The people I have with me at the moment are contributing out of ambition and sharing their thoughts and knowledge on this is really valuable to me and I hope more people will join us and together we can make something that in years to come we can be proud of the work performed.

Finally after still reading this you might already know if you are the person we are looking for. If so please don't hesitate to contact me or @Puppets and we will introduce you into our Discord. For as of now we are looking for:
- Mappers (preferably RPG specialty)
- Developers (both simple and intermediate tasks)
- Storytellers (writing both short and long stories backed up by research)
Note that there are loads of tasks to be done for people with no knowledge on any of the above jobs, things like organizing lists, adjusting values and forum tasks. These are so important since they can be overwhelming. (for those who ever had to edit 700+ XML files in a short time or searching up and categorizing item lists)

I've just been writing away, if you have any questions or want more information just ask and I will try to answer asap!
Every monday I will try to update
this thread (or creating a blog of some sort) with progressions so the public can get a little sneak peek on the project.

There is no estimated launch date yet, but I expect to have the first ACT done within 3-4 months, after gathering a solid team and depending on work efficiency.

Sorry for the long read!

I didnt see anything about prices, is that paid job or you are looking for 4fun project devs?

I didnt see anything about prices, is that paid job or you are looking for 4fun project devs?
I didn't tell much (anything at all) about revenue, payments and such cause I don't want to attract people that will work on this because of the money they can earn, hours that have been spend has to be paid but for now we are first looking for people that will have that as second priority, those are also the people that tend to stay on the team for a long time, rather then having someone who has been paid from the beginning and will talk more about money then the project itself. (seen it lots of times and sometimes they let it show so obvious)

I could create a graphic where I will sort all work to be done with the price - time limit but that's not my priority at the moment, after we finish our road map it will be much easier for me to sort all the work ahead and discussing how much money we will spend based on the difficulty of the tasks and how long it will take.

So yeah it most def can and will be a paid job, but I will not discuss this for now since other things have priority.

Thanks for pointing it out tho, wasn't sure if I should address it in the thread.

I can give u a hand with that if you are still looking

I have send you a PM!

Also the road-map will be complete within a few days so from that point on we can keep track of progress much more easily and start building.

"but I expect to have the first ACT done within 3-4 months" haha

Still looking for mappers, currently busy with Bree!
8c33b521ad3bd432424eb85f2a11af5f.jpg

We are looking for someone to share in an adventure!

As we are filling the masses between Rivendell and Hobbiton, we still need one or two mappers to journey with us to the plains of Gorgoroth.
We're also looking for people who just want to map a popular landmark, not being in charge of a whole area.
Now the areas aren't as big as you might think, still huge but very doable.

Before doing anything else, we'll be mapping most of what lies West of the Misty Mountains, mainly between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
We already have some systems in place, but the main focus is mapping the needed areas.
----

We have a Discord (link) open for the public at the moment,
on a later date we'll put online a pre-alpha, which is mainly for testers,
but players may walk around if they like to, although not many activities to do.
----

Currently, we are filling the areas within these screens, there are around 20 major locations between Hobbiton/Rivendell, each telling different stories.
As you can see we have started on Hobbiton/Bag End/Over hill and Bree and Rivendell already,
the main three cities players spawn in depending on their race,
with a Dwarf settlement coming in the Blue Mountains just South-West of Hobbiton.
----

We are keeping 8.6 era sprites as a strong base to work from while detailing with sprites from 10.98 and very rarely beyond.
Next to our custom sprites we hope to bring a familiar but somewhat unique experience.

(Yes I know missing a mushroom wall, is already fixed😅 )
0f4f9c4653eff9c8abbbfbc4564b6c01.jpg
b1fca31c77a8cd5209369e65e34211f5.png
11057bd254a64e98615276812522fb85.png
4e9b73878d8f43d17b7e2f8f2d737415.png
e7576608fb1253f15e53f4ef2b2f9311.png

This last picture always scares meo_O

Tile data:
Total number of tiles: 6,920,397
Number of pathable tiles: 5,428,403
Number of unpathable tiles: 1,491,994
By the end it will be triple/quadruple the above🤔

Back