• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The reason why tfs is delayed: we let the great programmers goes away

I mean this thread really boils down to this, right?

Free, Open Sourced Project, get's used by tons of users.
Free, Open Sourced Project has some issues.
Lots of users notice the issues, but don't report the issues, assuming it will be fixed by someone else.
X months later, some people complain that the "known issues" aren't being fixed.
The Free, Open Sourced Project was unaware of the "known issues" because nobody had reported them.
The people complaining about the "known issues" get frustrated that the issues that were never reported are not being fixed, and finds a solution.
They then tell the Free, Open Sourced Project months later that they resolved the issue already (the one that was never reported, and still isn't reported) and again wonder why the "known issues" are never being resolved.

--
So.. who's at fault?

The Free, Open Sourced Project?
The users?

Is it the F,OSP's fault for not making it known how/where to report the issues?
Or is it lots of users fault for making little to no effort at all to report the issues?
--

The issue is pretty clear.
Issues are not known by the F,OSP.. so they are not being fixed.

So.. how do we, the users, solve that?
there are two reasons obviously:

1. stable engine with fixes is most important part of server. more stable and more features: you are getting unique among other servers. Profit++
2. reporting issues is not easy right now: you have to spend around 15-30min to correctly describe and show problem to others. Some problems are also very hard to reproduce and you just don’t know the real reason why something is not working/crashes. and it’s rather rare your problem is fixed within 6 months if problem is more complicated=you feel it was a waste of time

And again, if you manage to fix it by yourself - you get advantage and probably more money because of that. There is completely no profit in working on open-source tfs: at least not for bug reporters/but fixers. Maybe you, people with permissions, got some % from donations

I would love to share my thoughts about tfs but I am not really into describing in details every problem I have spotted, because I don’t have time for it: I have family, busy work, own projects. But I would like to help somehow anyway, due to 15y sentiment to ots. This is why I have learned programming :)

1. stable engine with fixes is most important part of server. more stable and more features: you are getting unique among other servers. Profit++
2. reporting issues is not easy right now: you have to spend around 15-30min to correctly describe and show problem to others. Some problems are also very hard to reproduce and you just don’t know the real reason why something is not working/crashes. and it’s rather rare your problem is fixed within 6 months if problem is more complicated=you feel it was a waste of time

And again, if you manage to fix it by yourself - you get advantage and probably more money because of that. There is completely no profit in working on open-source tfs: at least not for bug reporters/but fixers. Maybe you, people with permissions, got some % from donations
Great mentality, open source ~= money no helping sorri

I would love to share my thoughts about tfs but I am not really into describing in details every problem I have spotted, because I don’t have time for it: I have family, busy work, own projects. But I would like to help somehow anyway, due to 15y sentiment to ots. This is why I have learned programming :)
Wow you don't have 15-20 mins to report issue, because you got family, work and own projects. When do you breathe?
Sorry, but these are excuses. You could find the time if you wanted to :)

Wow you don't have 15-20 mins to report issue, because you got family, work and own projects. When do you breathe?
Sorry, but these are excuses. You could find the time if you wanted to :)
I just reported two issues that came to my mind right now. There are many many other similar-level, some more complicated. I doubt you ever tested tfs in production.

I just reported two issues that came to my mind right now. There are many many other similar-level, some more complicated. I doubt you ever tested tfs in production.

Game changing "issues" 👏

Game changing "issues" 👏
Really? Now you will be sarcastic? I am really sad you think there is no problem with how it is maintained right now....

There are many more issues for instance with paralysis system - on rl your base speed will be reduced to 40 regardless of items. Also paralyse causes exhaust on healing so you can use 1 potion/spell per square. In general paralysis is fked up in tfs.
Critical hits have minimum damage.
There is no system for not logging out when dead.
No rl anti-lure system.
updateCreatureWalkthrough is missing when player level advances

I am probably missing many other problems which I forgot I have spotted many years ago or never discovered them. All I wish for you is: be more humble.

Really? Now you will be sarcastic? I am really sad you think there is no problem with how it is maintained right now....

There are many more issues for instance with paralysis system - on rl your base speed will be reduced to 40 regardless of items. Also paralyse causes exhaust on healing so you can use 1 potion/spell per square. In general paralysis is fked up in tfs.
No rl anti-lure system.

I am probably missing many other problems which I forgot I have spotted many years ago or never discovered them. All I wish for you is: be more humble.
I thought you were talking about real issues rather than some rl tibia features or such. Anyway, if you are willing to report them, then probably one of contributors will take care of them sooner or later.

No rl anti-lure system.

You need to understand that there are more and less important issues that needs to be solved. Right now you are listing one that in no way affects TFS performance or optimization and they are important right now because TFS is in a BAD shape.

You need to understand that there are more and less important issues that needs to be solved. Right now you are listing one that in no way affects TFS performance or optimization and they are important right now because TFS is in a BAD shape.
Do you really think that server with broken PVP has any professional use? Who is recipient of the tfs then? I am amazed

Do you really think that server with broken PVP has any professional use? Who is recipient of the tfs then? I am amazed
"Oh no, I can't make money from my awesome copy-paste PvP server, tfs bad, open source bad 😭"

"Oh no, I can't make money from my awesome copy-paste PvP server, tfs bad, open source bad 😭"
What are you trying to achieve right now? Kid.
I give up.

TFS is in perfect shape. Nothing has to be fixed. More than 50% of servers use your repository as a base. Sorry to bother your team. I will shut up.

+The answer for my question regarding recipient. I know who is that recipient. Your mutual admiration society. God save us from bad server owners.

Last edited:
What are you trying to achieve right now? Kid.
I give up.
You know about bugs but you don't report them because "20min to open issue is not worth my time", then you accuse TFS contributors for not doing anything (out of thin air because they can't read your mind) and at the end you just mention "the server" and something related to a small portion of gameplay that is not 100% reflecting RL Tibia. This ain't about your or anyone server, we don't care, why the heck would anyone care that some random server is having issues? We care about what is listed on the Issues page.
Maybe these issues you list are even less important than you think because no one else reported them? There are lots of open issues already, so people are reporting stuff.

WIP Don't delete players on death by nekiro · Pull Request #3251 · otland/forgottenserver (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/pull/3251)

No rl anti-lure system.
what do you mean? what is wrong with our current system?

wasn't it addressed here? or is that a different issue?

and yes I agree that our paralyze system is f*cked up

and yes I agree that tfs 1.x is not used by the majority
(while I disagree that there are "better" alternatives)

I'm not here to discuss what tfs is or isn't, you guys are already doing it 😁

I don't get why this issue is so contentious. This is all free software. If you don't like it don't use it. It will get better with time as long as there are people that want to contribute. No one is required to do anything on here. What is the point in fighting over it?

WIP Don't delete players on death by nekiro · Pull Request #3251 · otland/forgottenserver (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/pull/3251)

Oh will you look at that, he didn't even bother checking...

What is the point in fighting over it?
Sever not making money, apparently. But oh well, OT is full of leechers that just want donations.

But all of you just keep shit for yourself and don't bother to create issue which takes 2 min of your very "busy" life.
Many don't bother creating issues or PR's anymore because they are just going to sit there for months on end, completely ignored anyway. And that's a fact I've heard from multiple people (and myself) who previously contributed to TFS quite frequently.

You know about bugs but you don't report them because "20min to open issue is not worth my time", then you accuse TFS contributors for not doing anything (out of thin air because they can't read your mind) and at the end you just mention "the server" and something related to a small portion of gameplay that is not 100% reflecting RL Tibia. This ain't about your or anyone server, we don't care, why the heck would anyone care that some random server is having issues? We care about what is listed on the Issues page.
Maybe these issues you list are even less important than you think because no one else reported them? There are lots of open issues already, so people are reporting stuff.
Okay boss. I just told you I wont bother you anymore. Your life seems so frustrating I wont contribute more to it.

Right, I have not checked #3 - its what I meant. Good someone reported it.
On rl monsters go back to their spawn point after few minutes. I know its again "we are not rl", but its worth mentioning.
Many don't bother creating issues or PR's anymore because they are just going to sit there for months on end, completely ignored anyway. And that's a fact I've heard from multiple people (and myself) who previously contributed to TFS quite frequently.
That's my point.

Apparently making money is bad and people creating issues are leechers.

Apparently making money is bad and people creating issues are leechers.
No, no. Being a leecher that is trying to just make money and spitting acid on TFS contributors is bad.

I honestly can't get enough of one thing. You started with argument that you are not reporting issues because it even takes 15-20min for a single issue but now you have spent half the day writing MEANINGLESS posts here. Imagine how better TFS would be if people instead of crying on OTLand, would contribute (even by opening issues) instead.

Back