• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The state of this community

There was MULTIPLE people behind the Ravendawn map situation that I wont even bother talking about because I do not care to harm anyone elses image today. Got photo proof of it too, just like all the Madara crap, AND more. And I definitely wasn't selling shit, especially not Sprites..I was scammed buying sprites twice now from Lexarr and Madara/Dan.
A Lexxar recently messaged me and offered me to test my server. But only during the middle of the night and if I level up his characters massive.

A Lexxar recently messaged me and offered me to test my server. But only during the middle of the night and if I level up his characters massive.
Do not trust anything from that guy. He had blown up with a huge apology and saying he was never going to scam again and was going to make us the best dragon ever.... But turns out he just hired someone else secretly to do it and resell it to me 😂

Did he change his discord or is it still Lexarr#9711? @Demoncrawler

Last edited:
Do not trust anything from that guy. He had blown up with a huge apology and saying he was never going to scam again and was going to make us the best dragon ever.... But turns out he just hired someone else secretly to do it and resell it to me 😂

Did he change his discord or is it still Lexarr#9711? @Demoncrawler
Lexarr.PNG

Yes same discord

I've read through a healthy amount of the feedback in here, and there are a couple of things:
1) OT Development was always niche, and the forums were always slow-moving, and often had rivalries and petty behaviour in them. OTFans wasn't especially different. Most of the boards were somewhat dead even 10-13 years ago.

2) The most popular band of server development was often mapping, but even mapping has been reduced and boiled down. The maps produced now are often very busy, and worse yet, the demonstrations of such maps are often 'bullshots', using in-game lighting to its fullest effect. Whilst it is interesting to see how something might look in game, it misses the fundamental point of mapping, which is to make something fun to play. Seeing the game view gives you a TINY scope of what is actually being done with the map itself.

3) Tibia has, on the whole, been superseded through and through. It is not the apex of MMOs, it was barely on the head of the spear when MMOs were still a new concept (compared to Ultima, Soma etc.) with incredibly simple mechanics.

4) Tibia was invented as an online multi-user dungeon system (MUD). This artistry has been lost to time. For those of you that aren't necessarily aware, a MUD is essentially the realisation of a DnD style game conducted through computer interfaces, but this one - Tibia - has a GUI on top to show you what is occurring. Sadly, the focus has long stopped being on using this as a story telling medium, and has gone the way of 'big numbers whoa wow look at these runes look at my hunt metrics' - something that sadly, can be done better, and the bar for doing that better is so low it's basically looking up at the soles of peoples' shoes.

5) Tibia, as a game and as an experience, is deeply flawed in the design decisions made by CipSoft that have influenced the way we as an OT community design games. There has always been a fondness for being 'CIP-like', and true to the spirit of Tibia, but that isn't to say that CIP have always made the best choices, akin to Blizzard with WoW. We have still aped their choices in ours, and have built a reflection of the already flawed systems they have designed. The level of flaw becomes apparent if you visit Cip's own forums, which are full of strife, and have been for the last 20 years. The game is a complaint magnet, because it is fundamentally not an astounding game.

I hope you won't mistake my comments for hatred for the game, it comes across very negative, but it comes from a place of admiration for the vision set out by the game. Unfortunately I've also seen the choice to go for an 'ARPG' styled Tibia, moreso than a storytelling Tibia, and I feel the game fell short of that vision as a result. I loved mapping myself, and the intricacies that could be woven together, because it felt like you were 'building' a story, but somewhere we lost the story part of it. Part of the pains are in the ethos behind designing OTs, because they have adopted a 'show don't tell' approach with their game design, but it has ultimately led to bleak more-of-the-same locations to run around, with great thought behind them but none of it given to the players. In combination with ARPG ideas of 'gotta push levels' instead of 'gotta explore this unique and interesting quest...' have led to stagnation.

CIP are just as guilty of this, and are arguably the progenitors of this trend.

I've read through a healthy amount of the feedback in here, and there are a couple of things:
1) OT Development was always niche, and the forums were always slow-moving, and often had rivalries and petty behaviour in them. OTFans wasn't especially different. Most of the boards were somewhat dead even 10-13 years ago.

2) The most popular band of server development was often mapping, but even mapping has been reduced and boiled down. The maps produced now are often very busy, and worse yet, the demonstrations of such maps are often 'bullshots', using in-game lighting to its fullest effect. Whilst it is interesting to see how something might look in game, it misses the fundamental point of mapping, which is to make something fun to play. Seeing the game view gives you a TINY scope of what is actually being done with the map itself.

3) Tibia has, on the whole, been superseded through and through. It is not the apex of MMOs, it was barely on the head of the spear when MMOs were still a new concept (compared to Ultima, Soma etc.) with incredibly simple mechanics.

4) Tibia was invented as an online multi-user dungeon system (MUD). This artistry has been lost to time. For those of you that aren't necessarily aware, a MUD is essentially the realisation of a DnD style game conducted through computer interfaces, but this one - Tibia - has a GUI on top to show you what is occurring. Sadly, the focus has long stopped being on using this as a story telling medium, and has gone the way of 'big numbers whoa wow look at these runes look at my hunt metrics' - something that sadly, can be done better, and the bar for doing that better is so low it's basically looking up at the soles of peoples' shoes.

5) Tibia, as a game and as an experience, is deeply flawed in the design decisions made by CipSoft that have influenced the way we as an OT community design games. There has always been a fondness for being 'CIP-like', and true to the spirit of Tibia, but that isn't to say that CIP have always made the best choices, akin to Blizzard with WoW. We have still aped their choices in ours, and have built a reflection of the already flawed systems they have designed. The level of flaw becomes apparent if you visit Cip's own forums, which are full of strife, and have been for the last 20 years. The game is a complaint magnet, because it is fundamentally not an astounding game.

I hope you won't mistake my comments for hatred for the game, it comes across very negative, but it comes from a place of admiration for the vision set out by the game. Unfortunately I've also seen the choice to go for an 'ARPG' styled Tibia, moreso than a storytelling Tibia, and I feel the game fell short of that vision as a result. I loved mapping myself, and the intricacies that could be woven together, because it felt like you were 'building' a story, but somewhere we lost the story part of it. Part of the pains are in the ethos behind designing OTs, because they have adopted a 'show don't tell' approach with their game design, but it has ultimately led to bleak more-of-the-same locations to run around, with great thought behind them but none of it given to the players. In combination with ARPG ideas of 'gotta push levels' instead of 'gotta explore this unique and interesting quest...' have led to stagnation.

CIP are just as guilty of this, and are arguably the progenitors of this trend.

Hear, hear!

There is a reason Tibia is NOT an inspiration whatsoever for the work my team is creating aside from the Oblique Cabinet art style, as CiP and OTs in general have greatly lost their sense of direction for the heart of the RPG genre.

This isn't to say it's wrong having any type of OT running, it's just not what originally won me over the way Tibia did from early to 7x days, and clearly many others share the same feels.

In regards to the mapping section, I only have one thing for that:

Spider Man Lol GIF

It's not bad, I've seen some forums (NOT TIBIA RELATED OR SAYING NAMES). All the users just turn to trolls over time and then do nothing. Then the forum fails it's really sad, It's really not that bad here though. We got old, and now people take more then they give but that's life. Just try not to give them to much, make them work for it!

Back in the day I was a OTFan user, wish I wasn't but times change.
Oscar K.

@Avallach @SCREECH
Mapping used to be very popular. It was one of the more accessible aspects of OT development. Didn't really have to write code - you just needed the map editor. That fell by the wayside with REAL TIBIA MAP REAL TIBIA MAP REAL TIBIA MAP, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the more popular aspects of development. I was mapping stuff for OTs back in 2005/2006 with SimOnes (before any substantial real map leaks happened - hell I don't think OTs even supported maps as large as Real Tibia's back in that day).

And... yeah... especially on OTFans, the mapping section was more active than scripting/spriting.

Screenshot from today to show toxicity of community. A guy joined discord to say he doesn't like new tibia and want us to stop posting here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-122920.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-122920.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 57 · VirusTotal
@Avallach @SCREECH
Mapping used to be very popular. It was one of the more accessible aspects of OT development. Didn't really have to write code - you just needed the map editor. That fell by the wayside with REAL TIBIA MAP REAL TIBIA MAP REAL TIBIA MAP, but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of the more popular aspects of development. I was mapping stuff for OTs back in 2005/2006 with SimOnes (before any substantial real map leaks happened - hell I don't think OTs even supported maps as large as Real Tibia's back in that day).

And... yeah... especially on OTFans, the mapping section was more active than scripting/spriting.

It still is overall the most popular thing to do amongst the general OTlander or game maker as a starting point, as it's far easier than scripting or drawing it from scratch. The world building aspect always appeals to the bigger audience simply because it's visual.

But like you said, people kinda stopped building worlds and started just mapping to show off, and in turn now also get pissy about stupid crap. Nowadays, people seem to focus on what drama they can create rather than creating something useful. 🙃

Screenshot from today to show toxicity of community. A guy joined discord to say he doesn't like new tibia and want us to stop posting here.
toxicity? tbh its opinion maybe a bit harsh but still opinion

Give me some reason why somebody would pick 11.0+ or whatever client is current newest OTS instead of rl tibia?

toxicity? tbh its opinion maybe a bit harsh but still opinion

Give me some reason why somebody would pick 11.0+ or whatever client is current newest OTS instead of rl tibia?
  • different map
  • different exp/skill/loot ratios
  • different in-game systems
  • same graphics
This applies to all versions tbh. The main reason is the client. Its much better than it used to be before rework.

Opinion is based on arguments. The screenshot above I posted was trashtalk.

• different map
  • different exp/skill/loot ratios
  • different in-game systems
  • same graphics
This applies to all versions tbh. The main reason is the client. Its much better than it used to be before rework.

Opinion is based on arguments. The screenshot above I posted was trashtalk.
different map is nice but usually boring afte few weeks/months or end up being ctrl c ctrl v from rl tibia anyway for most of the common team hunting/pg spots
different exp/skill/loot rate doesnt matter much as rl tibia is easy nowadays while being stable at the end u can sell ur char
different in-game systems u say but most of those servers trying to mimic rl tibia as much as they could adding prey systems daily rewards store bestiary etc and honestly most of them are way worse than their originals

Sorry but rl tibia is way better than any ot 11.0+ unless u look for evo-style servers or those which allow botting

Sorry but rl tibia is way better than any ot 11.0+ unless u look for evo-style servers or those which allow botting
99% quests on real tibia are solved already. People are looking for mysterando and friendly client.

99% quests on real tibia are solved already. People are looking for mysterando and friendly client.
I dont think so might be just my opinion but i dont see potential in servers based on newest client and rl map or custom map with rl tibia monsters/spells/vocations as they will die pretty quickly sure mysteriando is nice but most of the community wont give a fuck about it or few ppl solve it and spoil for rest of the server anyway

You need something else to keep players on such server

I dont think so might be just my opinion but i dont see potential in servers based on newest client and rl map or custom map with rl tibia monsters/spells/vocations as they will die pretty quickly sure mysteriando is nice but most of the community wont give a fuck about it or few ppl solve it and spoil for rest of the server anyway

You need something else to keep players on such server

100% just your opinion, especially considering knowing about multiple new projects being done by others which are in latest sprites and they look promising as heck--yet there's no arguing that Tibia is better than any current OT just because of the fact that it promises not to go offline. That alone means stability, which is what almost every OT in history has lacked, and hasn't changed yet.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be attmepted or be told "don't do it" just because someone doesn't like it. For me, Tibia is absolutely garbage and I haven't touched it since yalahar released and I am more than welcome to seeing 11+ severs go up that do different shit than Tibia. Even crappy private invite only ones still have better vibes that Tibia RL, again, to me. My personal opinion.

Do whatever the fuck you want and have fun, ignore the haters because there will ALWAYS be tons. They're mostly just jealous tho. 😉

especially considering knowing about multiple new projects being done by others which are in latest sprites and they look promising as heck
can u name few of those?

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be attmepted or be told "don't do it" just because someone doesn't like it. For me, Tibia is absolutely garbage and I haven't touched it since yalahar released and I am more than welcome to seeing 11+ severs go up that do different shit than Tibia. Even crappy private invite only ones still have better vibes that Tibia RL, again, to me. My personal opinion.

ofc if somebody want to spent time and probably waste it on something which will die on start or with some money spent on it survive for a week thanks to some streamer and paid adverts

Do whatever the fuck you want and have fun, ignore the haters because there will ALWAYS be tons. They're mostly just jealous tho.

I just feel bad looking at people wasting their time to make useless servers

state of this community? i got banned for month for talking in discussion thread!

Back