• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Tutorial/Tips] Paypal How to stop players from Winning Chargebacks.

Was this post helpful?

• Yes it was!!!

Votes: 69 61.1%
  • Hell no, useless junk

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • DAMNIT SAINTS I LOST MY MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS!

Votes: 32 28.3%

• Total voters
Yes, it is possible. Paypal will subtract the chargeback from your Paypal account balance, possibly causing your balance to go into the negative range (in which case you now owe Paypal money.)

some ot server owners have 2 paypals.. a good one and a bad one, they receive all their money with a bad money, and then transfer to a safe one.

if they dispute it makes the shit one go negative.

Either way the owner of the Paypal account still owes Paypal money, otherwise they are defrauding Paypal. The only reason I could see for swapping the money from, say, a Paypal account set up in the name of the OT (business account) and a personal account would be to make the personal Paypal account history look better.

my lil brother thats 12 yrs old made my servers 1st paypal account... and the only reason it ever buggered when it was accepting money, was because i went to connect to a credit card and the addresses didnt match..

you mean to say a 12 yr old cant lie on the application? he sure didnt validate anything...

I'm not saying that it can't be done, all I'm saying is that it is extremely illegal and I don't recommend it.

The best way (IMO) to save yourself a lot of chargeback hassle would be to have a lawyer draw up a donation contract, then make Paypal aware of the legally binding contract. (Not always as easy as it sounds.)

The only ways i can see OT Owners losing money back from paypal now,

1. If the buyer only used a Creditcard, and disputes to the creditcard company that he didnt authorize the use of it.

2. If the OT Owner has a bad reputation with paypal, unverified~

Nice. Some simple psychologicals, but not obvious to everyone.

ya for me it was just what ive learned from my own experiences, and if it helps anyone out thats cool with me. I hate people that recycle their money through ot's, it could screw a server up if its done at the wrong time.

I called paypal and they said paypal doesn't give insurance on anything that isn't physical (material). They also said I cannot defend myself from it, but if that happens again, the only thing I have to do is send them proofs he donated and received what he paid for and then MAYBE they give the money back to me. MAYBE.

lol you can say what you want, i made this thread for people to read it and take what they want from it...

There are things the Seller can say to screw themselves, and there are things a Buyer can say to screw themselves.. If you cant understand that then you didnt read my first post..

For example, If he does a Claim saying it was unauthorized use of his "Paypal account" then you tell the Investigations Person on the phone, not through the resolution centre, to make the IP the payment was done with, with the most commonly used IP on the account..*Call them* i find talking and explaining it to them is much easier and gets faster results, aqnd they normally will sticky the dispute with more info in your favour and the disputer technically doesnt get to hear what your saying and counter-act that with their own spin-off of the story..

anyways this was just a small way of me giving back to the tutorial section :S

Ahmm, well when I was in dispute I just wrote to PayPal that this is virtual item, they don't protect buyers which buys virtual items. That's it :)

Isn't it easier to just put a Agreements subtopic in your website under the section Shop?

and If they claim it back, you just show paypal the agreements.

ya but sometimes, paypal isnt even involved

like picture this scenario,

Your the hoster/owner, the guy disputing donates to your paypal with only a creditcard, and doesnt even have a paypal account..

When he disputes, he disputes with the creditcard company, and then the creditcard company disputes the claim with paypal themselves, 100% chance you will lose this type of scenario.. No matter what virtual agreement you had him click, Credit Card comapnys keep their customers happy

Interesting post, Saint.

You know how a lot of servers have the disclaimer - you are donating and being given the item as a GIFT. yadda yadda?

eg:
"All donators are likely to be rewarded, but being a donation, there is not anything required of us."

"As a result of donating, you are privileged with receiving rewards."

In other words, they're donating out of the kindness of their hearts, and if you so choose you an reward them for their kindness. ;)

I wonder how paypal handles cases with a disclaimer like this.

they dont care, paypal wont read any disclaimer, and nor will the creditcard companys, Servers like Cyntara has a disclaimer like that, doesnt do them any good

hopefully the info in here helps you out though

Disclaimers are used to prevent you from legal trouble or if a player seems to bring up an argument over donation items I always have the link readily available. It saves you a lot of time.

Red

legal trouble? if CiP wanted to prosecute... your done for especially since your in the US...

Blizzard actively hunts Private servers, and server DMCA's, which is why my server is hosted in Toronto,Canada

Burning WoW Has Now Been Shutdown
5th December 2008

We are sad to inform all the community here that we have been served with a DMCA notice and will be ceasing operation of the servers effective immediately.

As some of you may of noticed, a handful of other private servers have also been hit with this notice, so it is not just us. So far it seems isolated to the hosting provider being used by us and those other servers, but other servers may end up receiving the same notice as well.

We are not taking any chances and are going to be cooperative in this time, and will proceed with taking down all our WoW gaming realms. At this stage we have no intention of reviving the servers, as that would be potentially violating the conditions of the DMCA.

For donaters, if you donated just recently and haven't got your reward, contact us about it and we will look at refunding your money. Same will go for very recent donaters. Any longer standing donaters, sorry we will not be refunding that money as you have been using those rewards, and our donation terms clearly state we do not offer refunds, however in exceptional circumstances we will for a very limited range of people.

Back