• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Weekly Challenge #1 Helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anevis

Cool guy
Reaction score
Hello!
I and our spriter community decided to run something like contests called "Weekly Challenges". Goal of this is to promote spriting on otland and help to grow community interest for it, and also to keep our skills improving!

TOPIC : Helmet
Animation allowed?: No
Color count: max. 20 + 1 for background
Size: 32x32 (default size for items in Tibia)
Background color: gray
Format: .PNG (as always xD)

Scoring and rewards (just for highscores):
- 3score p. for 1st + golden medal
- 2score p. for 2nd + silver medal
- 1score p. for 3rd + bronze medal

Rules:
1. You need to pixel up your helmet, put image on host and Send it to me via Private Message

Title: Weekly Challenge #1 Helmet [YOUR NAME]
Content:
[NAME of YouR item]
[img.]YOUR IMAGE[/img.]

2. You are not allowed to show your sprite anyone/anywhere before end of challenge (voting).
3. You must create your item from scratch - no edits, no copying, tracing or sh*t...

DEADLINE: (always 7 days from start of thread) 22nd August 22:00 CEST

About challenges:
I will try to put new thread every 7 days. And voting thread always after deadline or for next day!
Highscores would be started with end of first challenge.
Rules and difficulty/scoring can change every challenge.

Tip: Focus on uniqueness of your helmet. Investigate other pixel works (Tibia's helmets and other artists helmets here on otland). Keep an eye on shading/reflect.
There is limit for 20 colors. It's enough and even more... you can easily paint two parts f.e gold+metal

Last edited:
Should do this monthly so people don't have so short time to finish their sprites. Also, you'll be having one vote running while starting the next contest. Which would still be rather stressful. If you think a month is too long, at least do it with 2 weeks interval.

i think 1 week is enough. 1 week spriting , 1 week voting , 1 week spriting , 1 week voting....and so on. :)
Nice someone finally do something like that. Hope more people gonna give sprites a try :D

7days is enough...(I remember it run similar on otfans)
To make a helmet is just max 1 hour (for a beginner).
Example:
23rd: Deadline, put voting thread
23rd : Put new thread with challenge
30th : deadline, end of voting, new voting
30th : new challenge

I would run also monthly challenges, more demanding...

Well I remember we talked about this, but didn't know this thread would pop up so soon :p
I'll be sure to send my work when I make it, hope this will motivate more people to sprite. Let's keep it up and good luck to everyone!

^
Only? I think that just 10 are needed. U don't need to do Your sprites in Photoshop or Gimp with brush...

@x2 up
No brushes filter, smudging, burn, etc..
Pencil only. I'll check it ^^
pj:checker

Pixel Art style > Brush 93934 colors
If you get a nice pallete with less colors it's much easier to paint, cleaner, faster (just better). I do all of my newest pixels only with pencil,
#1 when I finish one item, I can rush very fast to finish full sets
#2 same with monsters and enviro stuff

@up
I put 20+bg, because it could be hard for someone to fit with 10. And also it's easier to do combinations.

Sir, obviously you may be able to create something using 10 colors , but this which will you create will suck lol

Example - helmet of three elements in 10 colors

Does it even look like a helmet? no lol

Ofcourse you may create some simple helmet but thats why we have imagination to use it, to create something which will look great and wont be boring.

Last edited:
@up
I agree with you a bit , 10 colors kinda sucks :p

heli_cap_by_anevis-d6h08l7.gif

Yellow, red, green, blue + aa for transition,
It's 19 (could be less If I wasn't messing around)+ bg

So I put a 20 limit which is enough for item without animations (effects)!

@edit
7colors +1 for white background, checked with: http://hivemind.in/pj/specs/index.php?urls=http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/test2png_nesqsxx.png
test2png_nesqsxx.png

Last edited:
something is wrong with this check or im blind xd.
I used 5 colors inside my helmet + outline + gray background is 7 colors at all.
It shows me 13 dunno why -> but nvm its less enough :D

Didn't see this ! this is awesome. I hosted a single competition a long time ago - had a few applicants, but since our spriting boards have got a lot of activity lately, it will be awesome to do regular ones!

Also - we had a discussion leading to having a sprite competition board with official competitions just like the mapping boards. This concluded that if activity became big here - it would be likely.

Anyway sign me up :>

Nice idea :D cant wait to see all the helmets people come up with! this will give new spriters also some kind of inspiration :)!

Anevis, there is an easier way to check for amount of colors :D

Open the sprite in photoshop, go to File -> Save For Web -> and check here:

QFsFt.jpg

Also I haven't seen you in the group for a while, you afk? :(

Anevis, there is an easier way to check for amount of colors :D

Open the sprite in photoshop, go to File -> Save For Web -> and check here:

QFsFt.jpg

Also I haven't seen you in the group for a while, you afk? :(

pfft paint no haz deze magix. PAINT FTW

@Shadowsong
Thanks, It will be helpful to check my own pallete, but it's easier to paste a link in browser than opening photoshop to check others sprite. I practicing human anatomy ;D and no touching sprites, that's why I wasn't active on chat.

@up
Okay :)

bump :D want more applicants nub

i was used to the old otfans post on topic way, i don't know about this PM one, but maybe more people participate because they don't give up after seeing a good sprite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back