• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What "killed" RL Tibia for YOU?

I started on 7.1 and played through to 7.92 'properly' and on-off until battleye.

What made me quit playing 'properly' was the 7.6 update. My character went from a low level sorcerer able to make runes and casually hunt many monsters and sustain myself selling runes to a wand wielding rotworm hunter unable to do pretty much anything except afk wand attack things i can shield block or walk faster than. I had to reach level 25 to use a spell i had already purchased (hmms) and was mostly useless at that level. My whole playstyle was ruined, casual fun was just destroyed, the community just straight up died. People stopped hanging around their houses and gardens making runes/training and having fun. This was the end for me, using wands as a faux paladin isn't the reason I made a sorcerer.

I went to OTs and had fun with oldschool servers until the OT community also died and has been replaced with whatever this is supposed to be, closed source most selfish community I've ever seen labelled 'open' with an incredibly toxic playerbase based on p2w servers.

I started on 7.1 and played through to 7.92 'properly' and on-off until battleye.

. I had to reach level 25 to use a spell i had already purchased (hmms) and was mostly useless at that level. My whole playstyle was ruined, casual fun was just destroyed, the community just straight up died. People stopped hanging around their houses and gardens making runes/training and having fun.
Exactly like me.. I used to hang out for massive amouts of hours, have maximum 20s lvls while playing more than my cousins who had several 100s back then.. Funny thing was having 11 druid (facc forever) with 60+ mlvl and hlvl gear in the depot (golden set, boh, etc.). Killing random pkers with sds on 11 druid was a very fun thing at Inferna..

What else killed Tibia? I think first came OTS and then just other amazing games. :)

Training weapons were a huge factor. Experience boosts and the prey system did not help either.
Overall the sum of all updates showed that Cipsoft is not capable of saving the game anymore. It might be fun for a short while, but sooner or later you will realize there is no depth to the game. Thus, the game has no future for me.

The turning point was quirefang update. I disliked hunting on insectoids as a paladin. These tasks were repetitive and felt more grindy than getting paw and fur from 0 points to demon oak. It felt like quests for bots and I wasn't a botter (paw and fur was different because I could choose what will I hunt). Then they added gnomebase which was pretty much identical - spend weeks on grinding points every day and hope for good rng.

Then it went downhill - throwing away the idea of skilling by adding passive trainers to game, glowing unremovable store button, paid cosmetics, ruining economy with imbuements, servers being dominated by single guilds (in opentibia, the server would launch next edition if it happened), too few good spawns to fit all high level players.

Item prices increasing globally because botters got banned, fair players quit because it wasn't Tibia anymore. These two things made quests like poi, gnomebase, inq and other unplayable on some less populated servers due to lack of people to make organizing it profitable for people who will clear it.

Only update (after the turning point) I liked was that fae land. Blossom bag is a wonderful item and it isn't that hard to get when you have a high level friend.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, I used to rock a sorc from.... 1999? to to the 2000s making SDs n shit, then suddenly can't do any of that. Was a noob and only low level back then, in 20s.
I started playing in valoria and used to be the #5 in ml and kinda rich by the time by being uh maker for #1
i know the feeling, used to sell tons of bps of uh.. amazing times for us, right.. we were something..
i miss these days..

Im planing to create an ot 12.51 tfs 1.3 but ripping off things like this.. or at least setting a limit of how many runes players can buy/day to make mages a little thing as old days..

Exactly like me.. I used to hang out for massive amouts of hours, have maximum 20s lvls while playing more than my cousins who had several 100s back then.. Funny thing was having 11 druid (facc forever) with 60+ mlvl and hlvl gear in the depot (golden set, boh, etc.). Killing random pkers with sds on 11 druid was a very fun thing at Inferna..

What else killed Tibia? I think first came OTS and then just other amazing games. :)

I saw OTS as a replacement for what CIP had already ruined and set in motion. I think CIPs refusal to acknowledge and satisfy their oldschool playbase is what ultimately killed it. Jagex made oldschool runescape, CIP should have made oldschool Tibia. Jagex already proved its not only viable but extremely profitable.

For your lvl 11 mage with sds i raise you my lvl 6 knight with 80 club fighting and a warhammer. Those were the days man :) good times

UPDATES of course. I quit CIP Tibia at 8.1. Tried new versions few times, but it was horrible.
There was one mistake with their updates that started around 7.9:
They tried to make Tibia like other popular 3D MMORPGs (wow, lineage etc.), but with ugly 2D graphics. Ugly graphics were acceptable, because game was different. After they changed gameplay to look similar to other games - did it wrong anyway - old players left and new players did not try to play 2D game with ugly graphics and client that rendered 90fps on high-end game PCs.

1. CipSoft.
2. Business guilds from two to four a thousand characters who commit power abuse, feed the black market at the source, break basic live rules in streaming services and are not punished.
3. The possibility for accommodated players to be able to live peacefully well by winning items, money and selling them on the black market for a few thousand dollars. They earn this kind of privilege through power abuse.
4. The game besides being a pay to play because it is impossible to play and enjoy without a premium account has turned into a pay to win in disguise with the addition of Tibia Coins for sale in the store. Finally, selling characters? Tibia Baazaar? The game died when the UH faded from blue to white. Unfortunately we are insistent enough to continue playing no matter what colossal shits this company serves us update after update.

I only really made an account to reply to this thread as I had an itch to lurk on OT forums in the last few days. Thought I'd have something worthwhile to add to the discussion, seeing as you guys seem like a reasonable lot.
I first played Tibia around 7.92 and even though I enjoyed the game a lot, I couldn't quite put a pin on what exactly worked for me. Now with the help of hindsight, I can see what was so enthralling about Tibia and, upon examining contemporary RL Tibia, why OT is the only proper way to experience the game that we fell in love with.

Eventually I returned to Tibia RL around 2018 and I was mortified to see the changes that CipSoft had instigated in what was once a hardcore, but fair RPG experience. In the official Tibia Rules, CipSoft had made a statement that things like selling characters or items for real money was strictly prohibited. In my mind, these points had been created to underline that you couldn't "buy your way into the game", and that's what made really high-end players shine. When you saw that level 100-ish person hanging around depo in Thais, you knew it was someone special. Someone who hit level 300 was basically a legend. Someone who knew how to play the game, who didn't give up after being ganked by a PK, who persevered and triumphed. It's hard to understate how extremely alluring this was to me. Whether it was thanks to reading guides, or patiently farming in lower-risk areas, or by just having an influential high-level friend who protected you from PK's, it was all on you.

But now? Just pay 10 euro and you'll have ten backpacks full of GFBs. You think you have to read a guide on how to properly train your sword fighting and shielding? Just go offline training. What's the point of speaking to the guide in a new town and have them mark the map for you, so you don't get lost, if you can just access everything with a premium scroll? You just died and lost two levels? No big deal, just buy a death redemption and you're up and running, thus completely ruining a quintessential part of what made Tibia so fascinating to begin with: dying having strict consequences.

Tibia RL could've well existed in 2020 in the hardcore niche it had cultivated over the years, if CipSoft had appealed to its audience properly. Most OT servers I've played on didn't have the same charm that Tibia RL had for me. I, for once, really like all the tedious features of Tibia RL: buying spells, buying blank runes, talking to NPC's and discovering neat little details about their lives. In a game where dying has such huge ramifications, you need those elements to get fully immersed. You need to ask around if the next staircase you walk down won't have a giant spider with an iron bar closing behind you, because if you don't, you're screwed. Tibia used to really reward the inventive, observant player, whereas nowadays I'd argue it rewards nobody.

I hope one day there'll be a server that'll feel just as great as Tibia once did, because the game itself has the potential to be great. It just takes talent and effort to make it work again, and without egregious monetization to boot.

Tof (Twist of fate) that made pvp completly waste of time.
To kill lv 300 you needed like 3-5players (together wasted about 2h 5x 25min)
The 300lv who died wasted about 20% which is 25min for him to get level back.
They added tof about 12years ago, since that there is more and more that ruined this game

I agree, open pvp is the trash pvp mode ever, ugly as hell

Not only open pvp, they even killed hardcore pvp (inferna, dolera)

- Skulls

- Hotkeys

- Complete disregard for botting for a loooooong time

- Removing the need for community interaction via runes in stores and the market

I think that modern MMOS all suck because they've lost sight of that one thing that made everything else so special.............. community.

Also: I went to tibia.com the other day to just check out the scene(it had been several years)...... evidently you can now BUY characters officially.

I've always said it, Cip being passive against the biggest problems in the game and implementing half-assed "fixes" / ignoring problems for a long time / ignoring long-time players and listening to noobs instead:

• Oh, we have one of the biggest botting problem in any MMO? Sure, we'll just ignore it for whole decade, as long as those cheaters are paying customers we don't care.
  • People are aimbotting? Easy, we just remove manual aiming!
  • Death penalty makes noobs upset? Now death has no consequences!
  • Noobs die to luring? Implement half-assed poofing system
  • Noobs die to roped monsters? Now you can't rope monsters!
  • People are using bots to train? Now everyone can auto-train!

...etc etc etc

I saw OTS as a replacement for what CIP had already ruined and set in motion. I think CIPs refusal to acknowledge and satisfy their oldschool playbase is what ultimately killed it. Jagex made oldschool runescape, CIP should have made oldschool Tibia. Jagex already proved its not only viable but extremely profitable.

For your lvl 11 mage with sds i raise you my lvl 6 knight with 80 club fighting and a warhammer. Those were the days man :) good times

An attempt was made, it was called retro pvp world, but other things remained the same.

You need to ask around if the next staircase you walk down won't have a giant spider with an iron bar closing behind you, because if you don't, you're screwed.

man, fuck that place. I just wanted to explore and I was only level 14, wtf cipsoft?

evidently you can now BUY characters officially.

the what?

Last edited:
Back