• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows 7 vs Windows XP

Windows 7 or Windows XP?

• Windows 7

Votes: 247 61.0%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 158 39.0%

• Total voters
And it comes at a price: use an ATi graphics card? Congrats, you're fucked in regards to drivers. Hardware X or Y doesn't work out of the box? Have fun browsing Google for possibly hours. WINE doesn't support that one application that you really need? Better have a good enough computer to virtualize Windows in a VM!

That's why you can dual boot and that's why I said anyone but hardcore gamers.
I think there is a program that lets you play games that aren't supported though. (Not wine)

It might only be for steam though. Not entirely sure.

Bullshit. And really, the last 3 times I've updated my desktop computer running Fedora, its wanted me to reboot (and no, those were not kernel updates either).

I've used several Debian and Ubuntu based distros and haven't had any problems with any of my drivers except for once and I got it fixed in a few minutes. (Speakers weren't being detected.)

Isn't Fedora a custom distro? (Meaning it's not based on an existing distro.)

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Windows 7 is an excellent desktop operating system for anybody.
I have windows 7 and linux.

xpqw74.png

Not going to reboot to take a screen. (Took this 2 days ago to post in a different thread on a different forum.)
2gv8zn4.png

These are pretty biased, but most of them are true.
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/reboot_all_the_time/index.php?lang=
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/alive/index.php?lang=
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/stability/index.php?lang=

What? When did I ever doubt the superiority of Linux as a server platform?
http://www.infoworld.com/d/networking/windows-versus-linux-server-face-262

You didn't, but I am just trying to say that it is better for servers.
Especially since there are special distros made just for hosting.

Last edited:
Apparently you have never heard of dual booting. -_-'
That's why I said anyone but hardcore gamers.
So "hardcore gaming" means the ability to use pretty much any commercial software that exists or to have driver support for any possible device you can find in the store?

Isn't Fedora a custom distro? (Meaning it's not based on an existing distro.)
What does this have to do with anything? Fedora is the community-driven desktop branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (also known as CentOS).

I have windows 7 and linux.
Wow, congrats, so do I.

vpaan said:
So "hardcore gaming" means the ability to use pretty much any commercial software that exists or to have driver support for any possible device you can find in the store?
Not sure I understand this part.

vpaan said:
What does this have to do with anything? Fedora is the community-driven desktop branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (also known as CentOS).
Because I have never used it.
I have only used distros based on Debian and have never had to reboot when installing something.

vpaan said:
Wow, congrats, so do I.
You were saying that windows 7 is a good OS.
I agree with you on that. (To a certain extent.)

Seeing how you're such a huge fan of Linux and that Windows is the reincarnation of Satan, could you at least use a font that is somewhat readable in Linux...?
I'm not going to argue much, but what you have just said is about
the most [Insert Negative Word Here] thing I have heard, the fonts
used on Linux DOES NOT affect the fonts that appear here, the font
I used was 'Book Antiqua' Size '2' it looks like this:
Read!
I hope this helps you understand a little bit more!
end of argument!

I'm not going to argue much, but what you have just said is about
the most [Insert Negative Word Here] thing I have heard, the fonts
used on Linux DOES NOT affect the fonts that appear here, the font
I used was 'Book Antiqua' Size '2' it looks like this:
Read!
I hope this helps you understand a little bit more!
end of argument!
Yes it does. Font rendering in most Linux distributions is completely different from Windows. The font you are using is too small and was much more difficult for me to read in Linux than in Windows.

In any case, using a custom font in a forum makes you look like a pretentious asshole in the first place.

Win 7 is better in my opinion, but on older computers you might have problem running it. :) (like mine ;<<<<<<)

why is it's better? :p

I smell memory loss :D

Both Win7 and Vista have better MultiGPU support (ATI CrossFire(X) / nVidia (Quad-/Tri-Way-)SLI), which means better performance.

For a gaming computer, Performance means everything. :]

Well XP is better than Win7 to host OT servers on.

I am personally using Windows 7 on my gaming computer, and XP on my laptop.

And I simply love it. XP for great performance at 1 cored halfway old laptops, and win7 for gaming cases with heavy graphic card(s).

Ohh I have also already participated in this thread.

WIndows XP is old and in a couple years it will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
XP's compatibility with drivers is reduced.

In a couple years you will not be able to buy a computer with XP from shop any longer. Even if you buy a 11" mini laptop.

But XP's performance is slightly better than Windows 7 for dead end PC.

Microsoft LTS on XP will soon go away. It is 8 years? old already.

That really depends.. if you have more than 4gb ram then Win 7 64bit done talking about it! else i would use (XP <3) =)

ii use windows 7. i think its better than windows XP; i use the x64 one.
New cool-looking task bar, and i think it is faster than windows xp (x64 ... i've heard x32 is slower than x64)

if you're using a slower or older computer with less than 4gb ram and just one-cored CPU i would recom,end XP ^^ but for use of a real gaming computer i would really recommend Win 7 64bit :).. 32bit > XP.. 64bit > 7.. ^^

XP was the best i bought few months ago a lptop with XP however i had less support from programs or helpers :(

Back