• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

You guys do not understand why OTs are dying.

Everyone that is or were an old-school tibia player (<= 7.7) need to introduce their kids (if any) to old-school tibia. No zoomers would ever give old tibia a try. Not without recommendations from friends or family. Servers like Tibiantis would be great for a beginner. Slow paced, friendly community.
We at our 20-40's or older are the last ones tho remember and honor old Tibia for what it was. I don't think many people a year find and let alone, fall in love with old-school tibia. "Too hard, too slow, too ugly".

It always makes me sad when I think about all this. We seem to be 200-500 players left (excluding other ot communities) that still plays and wants to play old Tibia. Everyone knows realesta is max 300 real players.

Everyone that is or were an old-school tibia player (<= 7.7) need to introduce their kids (if any) to old-school tibia. No zoomers would ever give old tibia a try. Not without recommendations from friends or family. Servers like Tibiantis would be great for a beginner. Slow paced, friendly community.
We at our 20-40's or older are the last ones tho remember and honor old Tibia for what it was. I don't think many people a year find and let alone, fall in love with old-school tibia. "Too hard, too slow, too ugly".

It always makes me sad when I think about all this. We seem to be 200-500 players left (excluding other ot communities) that still plays and wants to play old Tibia. Everyone knows realesta is max 300 real players.
Tibia is not for Zoomers, the reason why we are all hooked to this game is because of nostalgia and because when we started games had shitty graphics, shitty gameplay etc, come on, remember what was Tibia competitor? Old school Runescape, those 3d graphics were trash even on those days standards.

try to tell a Zoomer who have played rpgs like The Witcher, Multiplayer games like GTA online, etc to play Tibia, and specially old school Tibia were you waste time training your skills, rune making, etc
Then one day you get out of thais dp and you get a lvl 100 red skull one shooting evryone with gran mas flam so you loose your whole day progress and your best loot. Tibia is nor forgiving, and new games are, nowadays kids will ragequit for this, we didn’t because we didn’t have many options at the time, now they have millions of better games in pc or consoles..

Tibia is not for Zoomers, the reason why we are all hooked to this game is because of nostalgia and because when we started games had shitty graphics, shitty gameplay etc, come on, remember what was Tibia competitor? Old school Runescape, those 3d graphics were trash even on those days standards.

try to tell a Zoomer who have played rpgs like The Witcher, Multiplayer games like GTA online, etc to play Tibia, and specially old school Tibia were you waste time training your skills, rune making, etc
Then one day you get out of thais dp and you get a lvl 100 red skull one shooting evryone with gran mas flam so you loose your whole day progress and your best loot. Tibia is nor forgiving, and new games are, nowadays kids will ragequit for this, we didn’t because we didn’t have many options at the time, now they have millions of better games in pc or consoles..

old school runescape actually has a quite potent playerbase and is far more popular than the "main" game ruined by updates..
even if graphics are shit the nostalgia is there and devs know what they're doing
except in oldschool OT market 90% of owners don't have a clue what they're doing, they only know how to run a buisness and fill their pockets, so that's how ot's die - botters farm runes, runes get sold, chars lose value because there's so much runes, in the end people sell chars for kebab because no one wants to play on a warot that has no content to do past level 120, close server, new edition after a month, rinse repeat for infinite cash irl

While seeing 300-400 players fighting in rookgard for level 8 in some lowrate rl-map server, I really don't think that Tibia is a dead game. I quit myself years ago with short returns to play something specific, so I support the idea that a lot of people are still playing when time allows. Keep in mind that a lot of us are now 30 years old or older and we have a job and a family so it's difficult to dedicate so much time either to play a game or to create a server.

When returning to create a server I see myself a lot of difficulties as a lot information is wiped from the head and pretty much a lot of things changed. I believe that the community should share more knowledge instead of replying things such as "you need to find out yourself" and obviously we should give up the idea of making money out of this. Just my thoughts...

old school runescape actually has a quite potent playerbase and is far more popular than the "main" game ruined by updates..
even if graphics are shit the nostalgia is there and devs know what they're doing
except in oldschool OT market 90% of owners don't have a clue what they're doing, they only know how to run a buisness and fill their pockets, so that's how ot's die - botters farm runes, runes get sold, chars lose value because there's so much runes, in the end people sell chars for kebab because no one wants to play on a warot that has no content to do past level 120, close server, new edition after a month, rinse repeat for infinite cash irl
I had read recently in the Tibia Reddit that Old school and new runescape was launched in Steam, and that gave them around 50,000 new players, yet Tibia is greenlighted in Steam, but Cipsoft won't launch it since they will have to share profits and we all know how Cipsoft is..
Also, we Old Runescape is available for smartphones, that helps. And we don't know the demographics of the game, maybe all those players are oldschool players.

Because the OT market is fragmented, we are competing against each other, we see OT developers DDoSing each other, throwing shit in their advertising threads, stealing content, copying without improving features, etc; they should be competing against Cipsoft like in the old times, when everything was shared for the shake of growing the community and making more quality; now everything is kept a secret unless you pay.

I've shared this before on other threads and other forums so I'll paste it again there, relevant to the last comments; IMO the OpenTibia community is divided (and dying) because:
  • There is a super steep learning curve for returners/newcomers that makes it nearly impossible to learn and ramp up on anything. Most of this is driven by lacking documentation, and staleness of the forums.
  • There is a small set of people who know how stuff works and there is another small set of people who help others for free. The intersection between these 2 sets is in turn extremely small.
  • There is a lack of people openly willing to contribute “for free” to the community, be that by providing information, tools, features and other resources/assets.
  • Conversely with the first point, there is a set of people who seem not to put in work and just make unreasonable asks for things, fixes and help in general that often comes off as entitled, frustrating the savvy folks and demoralizing them to help further.
  • There’s also a set of people who are looking to make a quick buck by either re-selling stuff, or by putting together generic things and hosting short-lived servers that only spam the already thinly spread player-base, demoralizing as well.
  • And my biggest complaint: There are so many forks of the original project that is impossible to support all of them. IMO, it’s caused at least in part because of the “success” of making the server over-customizable , i.e. introducing scripting at such lower levels on the API instead of promoting developers to learn to touch the codebase.
Just think, what's the #1 support topic that is NOT related to setup and compilation? my money is on "why doesn't this script work?!?!?"​
It’s kinda obvious that once you make something customizable everyone will steer down their own path, inherently dividing the development. IMO scripting exploded in such a way that projects became secretive, further undocumented, and unmaintainable at least in terms of support. In the beginning, scripts being shared in OTLand and other forums used to be a synonym of quality up until 1) thousands of forks happened, and 2) more mediocre programmers started to put them together (since the very first scripts were only being successfully written by experienced programmers). Stuff like this is why I'm very reluctant to add scripting into Fibula as it progresses.​
Way back in the day, when the community was thriving, we only had 1 or 2 distros/repos and everyone focused on getting them golden, and writing a single set of tools that would target the latest game version and all the previous backwards-compatible. Today we have undocumented (and therefore unmaintainable code), scripts that work for a specific version of a repo and game, stale (and revived) threads from 10-15 years ago, and a new threads every time someone can't figure out why any of the aforementioned don't work.

Few simple tricks to fix OTS Community

Share your dead projects, servers, maps, clients etc. (Be a good guy, and provide documentation too)
(People often see profit in keeping their old stuff - and most of it is lost. Typically people see profit before making a fun game, and are not willing to share their "secrets", or/and will make sure no1 can compete, now or forever...)
(if you share do not include scripts that will kill it on purpose etc.)

Start looking down on real tibia map servers. Would be even better if Xinn started second tab not shown by default in list with them.

Script/Coding support; There's almost 0 support.

Server makers that do bad things to other servers should be punished. (Like denial of service, exploiting, etc.)
In terms of sources: All formulas, types of damages should be exposed in lua.

Get proper OTClient support, and proper guide how to do things. Not "Look here new windows. The END. Enjoy modifying it". Give more meat...

@jlnunez89
Everything is simple. Why person X should contribute their solutions for free, if person Y is gonna make money thanks to that contributions? (I know thats basically how TFS and other distros emerged, but nowadays "fixes" and "solutions" are different than developing whole server because of hobby or sth). During all those years whole community developed to another level. OTS are not only for fun, you need to pay for the hosting, you spend a lot of time developing your server and you want something in return. And also players are willing to pay so it's a fair deal - players pay, developers do their job for money given by players.

In my opinion if you want to support development of some tools, you (as a community) should pay for that. And it's totally ok, but we need solid devs that will develop it, no matter if it would be via bounties, donations or whatever system. Most of us is after studies or schools so we have less time for voluntary work and we do not have passionate teenagers that will develop it for free.

Of course, support board is the other, separate thing. Lots of questions wouldn't be asked if there was a better documentation or more tutorials. And I think thats a role for Otland. There is no doubt that Otland is the biggest place for OpenTibia and if they want to mantain it, continue it, they should hire or invite some people to review this mess and make some tutorials out of all answers in support board.

some servers are great out there i think they just need some publicity, but people do not realize there are very profesionals efforts in the world of open tibia

the problem is that average tibian player does not value the effort, most of tibians or otplayers are toxic

i think otservbr is doing a great job for example, we also have shadow realm online, pacos rookgaard tales and those dragon ball servers

they all are pretty fun but tibians needs to know they exist

i remember having so much fun playing eldin servers too

we have to think in a way to reactivate open tibia

Open Tibia is dying because developers see it as a side hustle to earn $$$, rather than an open source project.
Open Tibia is dying because it has no-one providing direction.

It's been like this for quite a few years now and nobody has came to rescue it. All I see is the Support board being spoonfed and certain developers measuring dick sizes.

Hello, oldschool OT player/creator/whatever here.

Sometimes I lurk the forum to see whats up and I’ve seen many “btthurt” posts about OTs dying, and the reasons, and no one has pointed the real reason.

I’ve seen the same “reasons” being pointed over and over:

-People got lazier
-Greediness
-People grew up
Etc..

The reason why people keep on making the same ots, baiak, Rl, etc its because making those types of Ots are way EASIER.

You guys are missing the point. Ots in the beggining were easier to make, way easier, XML was limited but easy, mapping? Was easier, if you wanted to test a map in your computer you only had to put your on the server folder and run it, and you could test it locally. Try to do that today with a 10+ version map, its a real pain in the...

Everything got harder for new people, of course ots are not attracting new talent, they get overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that they have to learn.
You guys find all of this easy because most of us we have been playing and creating ots since the 7,6 era or below. And learning then was easier, and from there we have learnt new stuff among the way, and now we see compiling as something not so tedious, but imagine being told to do this in 8.0?

If you are the person wanting to do something about this, about making the Open Tibia scene grow again as in its best years, you have to understand is that the key is in making everything “user friendlier” as possible. Make new ways to add new sprites less time consuming and way easier. Make ways to make testing maps in newer versions easier. Etc

The less steps something requires, the better.

Why do you guys think companies like Apple, or Amazon are so succesfull? Because their products are Easy and Intuitive.

Sometimes is better to simplify things and to make them more accessible, thats how you can get new people to get into this and to learn and later they will get into the complicated stuff. But don’t throw them into the sea of complication and overinformation.

The next Open Tibia revolution should be focused on finding ways in making things easier and faster, so new talent arrives and we get new ots with new ideas.

Making custom ots has to become simpler.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
An Unknown Person who got tired of waiting.
I’m making an ot that will be super friendly and easy. Will be around in 2021. Named lastaot just watch out, none of u are expecting this :)

I’m making an ot that will be super friendly and easy. Will be around in 2021. Named lastaot just watch out, none of u are expecting this :)
Ok

Pls stop bring up old useless threads
=D

I am deeply sorry, I was browsing the forum and seen a post that I thought would be nice to comment on. I apologize for making your life a living nightmare.

Back