• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team [10.9x] Project: Recruiting Skilled Developers | Paid Opportunities Available

How do you now feel about this project after having read post #182 on page 10?

• It's still unclear. I'll reply below and explain why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,

Instead of giving boring "bumps," I like to bring you news and updates regarding the project, including new ideas or initiatives that I feel will bring about the most success for this project, the team behind it, and the community for which it stems. At ClapSoft®, we pride ourselves in being forthcoming when it comes to our community and its needs. I feel it's not only good to give back to the community, but sometimes necessary.

With that in mind, I've decided that since we will unlikely be utilizing our Enterprise Hosting Services to their fullest extent, I'll be offering a free hosting service to those we feel deserve a chance in Open Tibia. Official details will come soon after the launch. However, I expect there to be dozens of server owners out there who would love to take advantage of this. Why not spread the "wealth" and help boost the OpenTibia community? ;)

k5d6t.png

More details will soon follow, but there will be two hosts located in Europe and North America. We will launch in Europe, and if all goes according to plan, we'll be expanding into North America. :cool: Stay tuned! Remember, I can't do this alone... So, let's get started. Leadership is the ability to translate vision into reality, and I see your potential. Let's make this a reality... Please do not hesitate to apply.

I'd like to thank you all for your continued support.

Regards,
J.Dre

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've just arrived home and decided to post a summary of everything I've spoken of over the past few months. This thread has a lot of information, and I feel it may be somewhat overwhelming. So, let's take a step back and summarize all that's been said:

During the month of July, we saw a tremendous amount of progress being made in the project. We started with an empty data pack and have transformed it into one of the most efficient servers I've seen to date while maintaining the best of both TFS 1.x and 0.3, in a form of hybrid distribution, we've come to call TFS 2.0. The month of July also marks the first initiative launch by ClapSoft®: The Technology Development Fund, an initiative created in light of what was brought to my attention, that a senior programmer for this project had an unreliable workstation, limiting his ability to continue developing. I've decided it was time to support the development staff, ensuring our ability to keep you (the players) satisfied. Toward the end of July, I came to the realization that this project was no longer only going to be a "good" real map server, but instead a re-envisioned real map project. I came to the conclusion that revamping the entire map (over time) will allow us to peak players' interests. The vision we share at ClapSoft is unlike anything attempted before with a "real map project." Read more...

September is where we find ourselves today. The year is coming to an end, and we have much work to be done. The reach of ClapSoft® initiatives will no longer stop at the player base, but rather grow throughout all of Open Tibia. It has never sat well with me, the idea that we're leaving out the heart of Open Tibia: the OtLand community. OtLand will always be the heart upon which the body of Open Tibia relies on for its health. And because of this, ClapSoft® will be launching its second initiative, giving back to OtLand from which its birth will be recognized by offering a free hosting service. We will be sharing our servers with the entire OtLand community. This is "Open" Tibia after all. Read more...

We've restructured our project's foundation and have built a future upon efficiency and stability, and have launched two initiatives, giving our team & the community the support they - and all of you - deserve. I feel obligated, as a senior member of this community, to uphold the beliefs that we all once shared at the beginning. This is what ClapSoft® will do 'till it's over, and it's far from over...

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for the continued support!

24h bump.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've just arrived home and decided to post a summary of everything I've spoken of over the past few months. This thread has a lot of information, and I feel it may be somewhat overwhelming. So, let's take a step back and summarize all that's been said:

During the month of July, we saw a tremendous amount of progress being made in the project. We started with a fresh data pack from TFS 0.3 and have transformed it into one of the most efficient distributions I've seen to date while maintaining the best of both TFS 1.x and 0.3, in a form of hybrid distribution, we've come to call TFS 2.0. The month of July also marks the first initiative launch by ClapSoft: The Technology Development Fund, an initiative created in light of what was brought to my attention, that a senior programmer for this project had an unreliable workstation, limiting his ability to continue developing. I've decided it was time to support the development staff, ensuring our ability to keep you (the players) satisfied. Toward the end of July, I came to the realization that this project was no longer only going to be a "good" real map server, but instead a re-envisioned real map project. I came to the conclusion that revamping the entire map (over time) will allow us to peak players' interests. The vision we share at ClapSoft is unlike anything attempted before with a "real map project." Read more...

September is where we find ourselves today. The year is coming to an end, and we have much work to be done. The reach of ClapSoft's initiatives will no longer stop at the player base, but rather grow throughout all of Open Tibia. It has never sat well with me, the idea that we're leaving out the heart of Open Tibia: the OtLand community. OtLand will always be the heart upon which the body of Open Tibia relies on for its health. And because of this, ClapSoft will be launching its second initiative, giving back to OtLand from which its birth will be recognized by offering a free hosting service. We will be sharing our servers with the entire OtLand community. This is "Open" Tibia after all. Read more...

We've restructured our project's foundation and have built a future upon efficiency and stability, and have launched two initiatives, giving our team & the community the support they - and all of you - deserve. I feel obligated, as a senior member of this community, to uphold the beliefs that we all once shared at the beginning. This is what ClapSoft will do 'till it's over, and it's far from over...

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for the continued support!

J.Dre

24h bump.
It is posts like this one that make me want to come back and be apart of the open tibia community again.

It is posts like this one that make me want to come back and be apart of the open tibia community again.

Appreciate the kind words... That is my hope. ;)

We find ourselves in difficult times - held down by unfortunate foreseen circumstances which instills a bit of fear in the common "OtLander." There are many capable of reversing these circumstances Open Tibia has fallen to over the past few years, but none are willing to, primarily because they see only what is (i.e. a waste of time) and not what could be... I take pride in being able to see things for what they could be and not only what they are. Most are incapable of seeing beyond the difficulties. While they remain blinded by every new difficulty, I continue to see the opportunities in every difficulty... And that is why I know, if I am able to find a good team, we will make great use of every opportunity ahead, and prove that there is still something worth fighting for. Hopefully you're not the only one I've reached. We're only just getting started.

I'm writing this from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I'll fix them later. ;)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

It has been a few days since I last posted, mainly because there's not much new to share. I'm still actively seeking development staff. There's plenty of work left to do! :p There have been discussions with a few members that may be interested in doing a few things here and there, but no one has committed full-time to the project, yet.

I've had a few questions regarding how staff in-game will be handled. Perhaps I can briefly address those concerns: There will be a hierarchical staff system with Tutor being the lowest rank. There is an extensively advanced automated promotion system in place that will allow players to move up in rank. No one will be randomly given a staff position. All positions will be earned.*

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. Please post below if you have any questions. :)

24h bump.

Last edited:
Nice clothes. You seem to carry the most important thing of all, - spirit and dedication. I've noticed that you seem to put alot of weight on vision that even you, the progenitor of this entire project cannot even comprehend yourself. If you want to recruit some really talented people who share your ideas and goals you first need to understand yourself and what you want. Else you will just be chasing fish in a poisonous lake. You may get lucky but the most likely outcome will be a bad case of food poisoning.

Good morning, everyone.

The search continues for at least one Programmer and Lua Scripter. There may have been some confusion has to how much you will be expected to work: the amount of time you dedicate to this project is entirely up to you. I'm not going nor wish to force you to work X amount of hours. If you do not want to be a "full-time" developer, that is perfectly fine. You're more than welcome to come aboard, make a few quests, and then move on. Just remember to read the main post for specifics regarding payment, and this post for more details regarding "full-time" and "part-time" developers. ;)

Regards,
J.Dre

P.S. I've been contacted by two members who may be interested in helping a little bit here and there, but no one has filled the positions.

Last edited:
Hey there again :)
Unfortunately you seem to be troubled by the lack of skilled coders who are willing to apply. Have you considered asking people from outside Otland to help you out? There are lots of skilled freelancers itching for work and for sure also some who have just waited for the chance to transfer their knowledge to something as fun as a MMO-project. No doubt you will find ambitious people out there so always take that in account. Personally I would love to help you out as you seem to be very dedicated to this project and even hire people for a loan they wouldn't get elsewhere in the Otlandsjob offer section. Unfortunately I lack both the skills and the time to participate in your project let alone contribute. I will be leaving for a 6month long working holiday atarting november 2nd. However once I'm back I want to get myself back into coding and this time thoroughfully as I consider coding as something I might wanna do as a job in the future (and thus may study it at Uni). I will most likely stick to webdesign/webcoding though, so once I'm back I will gladly check on your projects status and if there is still a need for website features/optimization and I have acquired the respective knowledge I will be more than happ to assist you to help the project progress and broaden my knowledge (learning by doing).
Best of luck with your project! I'll keep following for sure :)

Kind regards,
Damon

Last edited:
Hey there again :)
Unfortunately you seem to be troubled by the lack of skilled coders who are willing to apply. Have you considered asking people from outside Otland to help you out? There are lots of skilled freelancers itching for work and for sure also some who have just waited for the chance to transfer their knowledge to something as fun as a MMO-project. No doubt you will find ambitious people out there so always take that in account. Personally I would love to help you out as you seem to be very dedicated to this project and even hire people for a loan they wouldn't get elsewhere in the Otlandsjob offer section. Unfortunately I lack both the skills and the time to participate in your project let alone contribute. I will be leaving for a 6month long working holiday atarting november 2nd. However once I'm back I want to get myself back into coding and this time thoroughfully as I consider coding as something I might wanna do as a job in the future (and thus may study it at Uni). I will most likely stick to webdesign/webcoding though, so once I'm back I will gladly check on your projects status and if there is still a need for website features/optimization and I have acquired the respective knowledge I will be more than happ to assist you to help the project progress and broaden my knowledge (learning by doing).

Best of luck with your project! I'll keep following for sure :)

Kind regards,
Damon

Thanks, Damon. You're more than welcome to help at a later date that better suits you.

As a matter of fact, I have searched elsewhere. I've posted on Freelancer.com and other websites like this. There are people who have expressed interest, but they all want at least $3000 for fairly small tasks that someone on OtLand may do for $500. If I were rich or did not have to use my personal savings / loans to pay for this project, I may actually hire someone from one of those sites. To be honest, I didn't expect to spend so much on this project over the past few years... But this is just how things have become. People have become lazy, and tend to expect more for less.

Back in the day, people would help you build an entire project for a GM position. You're making me nostalgic. :D

P.S. I've been asked to stop posting in the font I have been using, so I will. Apparently it looks bad for most, but good for me (on a higher resolution display).
roll_eyes.png

Last edited:
P.S. I've been asked to stop posting in the font I have been using, so I will. Apparently it looks bad for most, but good for me (on a higher resolution display).
roll_eyes.png
I would like to take full credit for getting him to stop using Times New Roman. #JustAsBadAsComicSans

Are you Zisly from TibiaHelp? :p That forum was also cool back then^^
No, hehe, I've gone with Xaar/Absolute Mango/makr0mango/Chris throughout the years, probably a couple more for less amount of time. I did speak with Zisly a lot a few years back though :)

Times New Roman is the way to go, my friend! :)
Keep doing what you're doing!
Good luck!

Good morning,

Just a quick update today (a fairly busy day): A couple people are making a few easy quests, but no one has committed to the project full-time.* I'm still searching for a dedicated Programmer and Lua Scripter to handle more difficult & time consuming tasks. Please do not hesitate to apply! Send me a private message or post here.

Thank you,
J.Dre

24h bump.

*Full-time at ClapSoft® is not the traditional full-time in real life. Read more...

Last edited:
Good morning,

Development has picked up on the data pack with a few quests being made by a couple other members here and there, but no one has expressed interested in officially joining the team as a more permanent member, mainly due to the fact that it requires more time. All private messages have been responded to. Please do not hesitate to apply!

In other news, the free ClapSoft® Hosting Service will be available within the first month of the of official server launch. If the service has a lot of requests, I will upgrade the connection to a guaranteed 1Gbps over the current guaranteed 500Mbps (up to 1Gbps burst). Specific details soon to follow, but we are far from this date.

If you have questions or concerns regarding any of the initiatives or news related to this project, please post below.

Regards,
J.Dre

24h bump.

I am just going to reply here to our conversation we had on skype.
If someone is willing to help you with your project the initial conversation does not call for 20 question.

If you don't trust people then maybe you need to learn to do the things you require yourself.

1st thing you should do before contacting anyone is do your research on the person, don't just check their account creation date, check what they have brought to the table to community in the aspect of the position they are applying for or you see a role they are well suited for.

I frankly don't need your source in order to write code for it.

Anyway good luck with the project and I hope the next encounter you have with someone is less intrusive.

I am just going to reply here to our conversation we had on skype.
If someone is willing to help you with your project the initial conversation does not call for 20 question.

If you don't trust people then maybe you need to learn to do the things you require yourself.

1st thing you should do before contacting anyone is do your research on the person, don't just check their account creation date, check what they have brought to the table to community in the aspect of the position they are applying for or you see a role they are well suited for.

I frankly don't need your source in order to write code for it.

Anyway good luck with the project and I hope the next encounter you have with someone is less intrusive.

I'm sorry you feel I was intrusive. You did not fill out the application I asked for, nor did you give me any details about who you were. Your OtLand profile is very vague, in that it does not describe who you are as a person. You joined in July, so I was skeptical as to how you are so well acquainted with "OT-Lua." Your behavior raised a red flag, which is why I asked for more information regarding who you were. Lo and behold, I was right after all... After "rage-quitting" and blocking me on Skype, you decided to make this post. I wanted to avoid this, but I'll just share the entire conversation with OtLand and let the communtiy see how truly immature you are (or at least have proven to be):

2e1gbqc.png

I've lost thousands of dollars and countless files / resources over the past ten years. You are a new member, so I needed some more information. And you refused to fill out the application, which asks for the information I need in the first place... There is no reason you should be upset with me. I just like to get to know the people on my team. Is that a crime? o_O

No hard feelings. Thanks for the luck. :)

Regards,
J.Dre

Last edited:
Good morning,

After having a long conversation with the team, we've decided that it would be best to patch over changes from my custom version of TFS 0.3 to the latest TFS 1.2, and then continue using TFS 1.2 as the primary distribution. We will no longer be using TFS 0.3 as the base distribution for the project. As it is my plan to launch multiple client versions, my lead programmer suggested to me that TFS 1.2 would be the best to downgrade, upgrade and use for the extent of the project. And alongside his recommendation, I've decided to rent a private VPS for him to finish the changes ASAP, so that he does not have to wait for me to launch the server on my home network. This will move things along much faster.* :cool:

Regards,
J.Dre

*Teamwork is important. I will hear you out and even consult other team members if I'm having doubts, so that we can all make a proper decision of what is to come.

24h bump.

Last edited:
I think I have earned the right to protect my identity as a person, my personal details are of no concern to any of you on otland just as your personal details are of no concern to me.

I specifically stated I was not interested in helping you for money many times, your little trickle of payment could not possibly motivate me to write code so rather than trying to find a suitable price which works within your budget for my services I charge people absolutely nothing because it makes things easier and we both get what we want.

I don't see the point of you posting the conversation we had as it just makes you look very unprofessional in that you as a so-called employer couldn't find the time to do any research on the person(s) you considered "hiring" for your project.

And so what if I have had other accounts over the years, is that a crime?
My existence on this forum is and always has been to help others, just as others have helped me when I 1st started.

Plus this is an open source community, not a place to make money, I think most of you have lost sight of this aspect.
When I started years ago on otland I knew absolutely nothing but through trial and error & the help of the community I learned a lot and am still learning today.

Lastly I did not rage quit, I realized in the midst of the conversation that you are just wasting my precious time and I could be doing more productive things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back