• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ascalon - The revival

I never liked the gem system tbh. Just make it like 90% success rate and so fucking hard to loot lawl
I'm never lucky enough for those damn things xd

How about 70% success rate?
You wont lose anything when trying to upgrade an item, just the gems/stones.
And when you sell an item, you get the stones and gems that were inside ofc.
The success rate should lower near the final %'s of maximising an upgrade. This will allow starting upgrades to start at 100-90% and the final couple of upgrades will be around 50-40%

I like upgrading with stones. As much as I can remember, there was no harsh punishment for failure (no broken items, no downgrading) which made it fun. It could stand to make harder in terms of upgrading completely, just don't make it easier?

Everyone is just saying 'I hope this doesn't work that way' cause that'd be a discomfort to you? When upgrading it should have a % success rate that goes down every success and a % chance to degrade on a fail after a number of successes.

That is balance. You stop everyone from becoming overly powered unless they collect enough for the chance to max upgrades. It works and it might stop ppl from rushing gear and running to end content. If you're too weak then get a buddy and work together to level up and make your gear.

Everyone is just saying 'I hope this doesn't work that way' cause that'd be a discomfort to you? When upgrading it should have a % success rate that goes down every success and a % chance to degrade on a fail after a number of successes.

That is balance. You stop everyone from becoming overly powered unless they collect enough for the chance to max upgrades. It works and it might stop ppl from rushing gear and running to end content. If you're too weak then get a buddy and work together to level up and make your gear.

I'll be blatant and say that I don't like your idea of upgrading. Ascalon's upgrade system was always so unique and like none other which is what I really liked about it. If it's changed to what you suggested then it will be like typical upgrade system you see on most servers. The % chance to degrade while upgrading it the worst thing I've seen in upgrade systems. Why not also make it so there is a chance to break the item you're upgrading, that should really make it fun...

I would much rather have it so that gem/stones are MUCH more rarer but they work 100% of the time. This way you will be rewarded for your hard work. The problem with your idea is that players won't always be rewarded for their hard work which I don't like. You could end up finding a ton of stones/gems but then in the end you'll actually make your equipment worse which can be very demoralizing. I feel like most players enjoy being rewarded for their efforts instead of it possibly back firing.

Another thing I really liked about the upgrade system is that if you had the stones/gems you could upgrade your items with no worry. What I mean with no worry is that on most servers you wouldn't bother using upgrade items unless you had a really good item because otherwise you'd be wasting it. On Ascalon you were able to use it on whatever you wanted and then throw it in the fire to get the stones back, which made the upgrade system really exciting because you were able to use it throughout the entire time and not just late game.

I like some of the other suggested ideas such as a flat 70% for upgrading or even the 100-90% for most of the stones and then make the last couple like 50%. You can very well make it so it cost money or event tokens for upgrade if you want to increase the difficulty a bit. The only thing I suggest you DON'T do is make it so you can degrade your items lol..

Definitely don't make it so items are degraded or destroyed.

I think its best if you have them as a common-rare drop from monsters then have the success rate change e.g. first upgrade has a 90% chance to succeed, then drops by 10% success rate each time to around 10% to get from +9 to +10.

Also, just done some maths and this means that you'd need around 29 upgrade stones to get from 0 to +9.

Last edited:
Definitely don't make it so items are degraded or destroyed.

I think its best if you have them as a common-rare drop from monsters then have the success rate change e.g. first upgrade has a 90% chance to succeed, then drops by 10% success rate each time to around 10% to get from +9 to +10.

Also, just done some maths and this means that you'd need around 29 upgrade stones to get from 0 to +9.
You do know items have more than just 10 upgrade slots right? xDDD

This is just completely wrong. Breaking or Degrading upon trying to gain a benefit means only the people with large amounts of luck or currency will be powerful. The average player won't get far with it, and then you run the risk of degrading items that you probably won't use the system after a point.

I have 10 stones. You have 10 stones. But because you got lucky, and I didn't, my weapon is at +5 and yours is at +10. What skill did you have over me? What did you do right that I didn't?

I'll be blatant and say that I don't like your idea of upgrading. Ascalon's upgrade system was always so unique and like none other which is what I really liked about it. If it's changed to what you suggested then it will be like typical upgrade system you see on most servers. The % chance to degrade while upgrading it the worst thing I've seen in upgrade systems. Why not also make it so there is a chance to break the item you're upgrading, that should really make it fun...

I would much rather have it so that gem/stones are MUCH more rarer but they work 100% of the time. This way you will be rewarded for your hard work. The problem with your idea is that players won't always be rewarded for their hard work which I don't like. You could end up finding a ton of stones/gems but then in the end you'll actually make your equipment worse which can be very demoralizing. I feel like most players enjoy being rewarded for their efforts instead of it possibly back firing.

Another thing I really liked about the upgrade system is that if you had the stones/gems you could upgrade your items with no worry. What I mean with no worry is that on most servers you wouldn't bother using upgrade items unless you had a really good item because otherwise you'd be wasting it. On Ascalon you were able to use it on whatever you wanted and then throw it in the fire to get the stones back, which made the upgrade system really exciting because you were able to use it throughout the entire time and not just late game.

I like some of the other suggested ideas such as a flat 70% for upgrading or even the 100-90% for most of the stones and then make the last couple like 50%. You can very well make it so it cost money or event tokens for upgrade if you want to increase the difficulty a bit. The only thing I suggest you DON'T do is make it so you can degrade your items lol..
ook. like the idea of removing upgrades. Going to to use that :D

- Gems & stones -
- You cant lose an upgrade on items, but there's a success rate to upgrade
and if you have bad luck you just lose the gem/stone you tried to upgrade with.
- There are a lot of new quests and chests rewarding with gems/stones.
- Rewards from old quests and chests got changed (more stones/gems).
- There are a lot of new monsters and the new mini bosses drop lots of gems/stones.

2 weeks xD

Hmm I'll sleep now for 2 weeks 24/7 then I'll be fit to play on ascalon when it comes online, and be ready for 2 weeks straight playinggg without any sleep at all...

148ojyw.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm I'll sleep now for 2 weeks 24/7 then I'll be fit to play on ascalon when it comes online, and be ready for 2 weeks straight playinggg without any sleep at all...
Sick.

It sounds like I'll need to work on the server 16 hours a day after the opening.
We will add team members slowly and with caution.

Want my advice? Start the advertising thread today so you will build up a player base when it launches. You can set the date from 2 weeks from now which will be the 1st October 2015 and spend time making the thread, include pictures and a lot of info @Gaal

Back