• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ascalon - The revival

pjsalt.png
pjsalt.png
pjsalt.png
pjsalt.png

Yeah, I was hoping that it would be advertised on otservlist since it does bring you a ton of players but i'm pretty sure it's too late for that if it's going to be starting in 2 weeks :(

Yea its generally a month waitlist for a countdown

And it costs too much cash. Insane how it costs.90euro for 1 day countdown. And I am 200% sure ascalon won't pay back in donations. I mean seriously is there anyone out there that will donate alot of cash to a server that barely gives any benefit of donating? Other than the rune and staff you got in previous eras there was nothing decent in the shop. 1 outfit and 2 mounts for extra bonuses which doesn't matter that much.

Main problem here is that the server has no income because nobody donates for the sake of keeping a server online. Ascalon is basicly a project where the owner needs to own a company in real life to keep up. Its a money sink. A hobby where you throw your cash out the window for the sake of having a little fun. Unless Gaal is prepared to lose alot of cash I don't see it being advertised on otservlist. And if the server becomes slightly pay2win the players WILL be displeased, and some will quit for that fact only.

Now don't get me wrong.. I really like the server and I am pretty sure I am the guy that donated the most in every era. I bought event tokens cause I never entered any events and had points sitting on my account for no real reason because I wanted the server to stay up. I remember buying more points even tho I had enough points to buy everything in the shop atleast twice.

I just don't see it get anywhere unless there is a monthly subscription of some sort or anything that will actually make money to keep the server up.

Here is a prediction, if the shop is going to be same as every previous era this server will last around 4-6 months at max.

And it costs too much cash. Insane how it costs.90euro for 1 day countdown. And I am 200% sure ascalon won't pay back in donations. I mean seriously is there anyone out there that will donate alot of cash to a server that barely gives any benefit of donating? Other than the rune and staff you got in previous eras there was nothing decent in the shop. 1 outfit and 2 mounts for extra bonuses which doesn't matter that much.

Main problem here is that the server has no income because nobody donates for the sake of keeping a server online. Ascalon is basicly a project where the owner needs to own a company in real life to keep up. Its a money sink. A hobby where you throw your cash out the window for the sake of having a little fun. Unless Gaal is prepared to lose alot of cash I don't see it being advertised on otservlist. And if the server becomes slightly pay2win the players WILL be displeased, and some will quit for that fact only.

Now don't get me wrong.. I really like the server and I am pretty sure I am the guy that donated the most in every era. I bought event tokens cause I never entered any events and had points sitting on my account for no real reason because I wanted the server to stay up. I remember buying more points even tho I had enough points to buy everything in the shop atleast twice.

I just don't see it get anywhere unless there is a monthly subscription of some sort or anything that will actually make money to keep the server up.

Here is a prediction, if the shop is going to be same as every previous era this server will last around 4-6 months at max.
Your prediction sounds quite negative. There are plenty of ways to keep a server alive, while not having overpowered stuff in the shop. A server like this can definately profit from all kind of outfit features which require a looong time to get in the game. I still believe in the survivability of this project, it has everything a custom ot-lover needs, with the correct expansions, this can go very far. My hopes are high that Gaal can recreate/polish this to something beautiful. Wether it takes two weeks (which was said and possibly wont happen) or another month or two. If it goes online, I will enjoy it as much as I did the first time.

Your prediction sounds quite negative. There are plenty of ways to keep a server alive, while not having overpowered stuff in the shop. A server like this can definately profit from all kind of outfit features which require a looong time to get in the game. I still believe in the survivability of this project, it has everything a custom ot-lover needs, with the correct expansions, this can go very far. My hopes are high that Gaal can recreate/polish this to something beautiful. Wether it takes two weeks (which was said and possibly wont happen) or another month or two. If it goes online, I will enjoy it as much as I did the first time.
If you find it to be negative, thats just the way you comprehend it. The biggest problem Fare faced with ascalon was actually financially. Next was his lack of time to develop because it was just a hobby.
From observing this thread for a couple of days I can tell how long it will last.

You stated that there are plenty of ways to keep a server alive, and you only mentioned 1 which is something that already existed in the shop since almost day 1.
Someone should definetly redirect you to a hosting company and show you the prices of a nice dedicated server. If you want the server to stay online forever it needs to reach "instert monthly fee of dedicated server" every month.

If you want updateds more often, the developer needs to take time off from his real job. Meaning he is losing potential cash for no real reason. If the server pays back for the time invested its all good.

Now back to ascalon. Nobody fucking donates. This is the issue. Not "ohh the shop is good it can survive" it can't because nobody donates to look pretty ingame.
^ this right here is your reality check.

Look at any server that has survived for ages. Actually look at spider... That server has been around since even before ascalon was made. The shop is full of p2w shit and it has been around for years.

I agree with @Saitohimea. I'm also worried about the financial part of Ascalon. Last seasons I donated and only bought premium and warp rune pretty much since I did not find anything else in shop worth buying.

I think that some more benificial items in shop would not hurt the server unless it gives way too much benefits and therefore makes non-donators quit.

For example upgrade tool where you change an item ability randomly could in my opinion easily be available in donate shop. Items like this could bring that extra cash to help the server stay alive and developed even further for hopefully a long time.

Last edited:

wtf are you talking about? I had 300$ in donations 1 day BEFORE ascalon even started. 700 after 2 days. You just g2 put nice iterms into dem shopz :^)

Lol. You do know Lava titan reached 200 players the same day by just advertising his OT a week before launch right?
Ascalon has shit ton of income when it starts and they can double, triple, multiply, quadriple the monthly host pay cause a lot of people donates.

You guys don't seem to get it. 500 or even 1000 euro is nothing in long term.

Let me quickly explain it to you.
There was 2 items in the shop that was basicly a must buy. (Staff and rune).

Lets say 3 days countdown gets 200 players. That makes 3x90 euro which = 270 euro. And this MUST be paid beforehand. You risk not even getting any players. Which is unlikely but still a risk.

For a long term server with ddos protection etc. Its probably more beneficial to buy a couple of months of dedicated server at once. (You save money this way).

60 euro every month 3 months is 180 euro so lets give the discount now. 150 euro with discount.

270 euro + 150 euro = 420 euro (lol that number xD)

The server will be up for atleast 3 months now guaranteed.
By this time the server WILL lose alot of players, either cause they got bored or another reason.

Anyway the server has a superb owner and he doesn't take anything from donations for himself so he has to do his rl job for real life expenses. Meaning he has less time to actually update the server.

Judging from this thread Gaal and Fare are the only ones working on the server. If they both work on contet 2-3 hours a day Which is the time they have left after real life ( 8 hours sleep 8 hours job. Dinner, toilet breaks etc and probably hanging out with friends or family) meaning this is just a hobby.

If Gaal doesn't take anything from the 1k euro in donation the server can be up atleast for a year. Now why did I say "the server will only be up for 4-6 months"? Because its unlikely that content will be developed faster than players clear it with just 2 developers.
Gaal needs to log in atleast 1 hour a day to just check whats up in game too. And atleast 1 hour reading thro forum, bug report logs etc, while also working on the server

Btw all of theese is before chargebacks. I didn't even consider chargebacks in example given above. Just think of all theese in Gaal/Fare's shoes

Oh I also left out the crying about unbalance and toxic life ingame because its usually tutors and gm's handling that.

I can write alot more about these thing but I am busy with rl job. Anyway I hope Gaal can prove me wrong and the server stays healthy with a lot of players and longevity of server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that nobody will donate more unless there is something more in the shop. So he has a budget of 1k euro witht thoose 2 items

Edit2: oh right you said lava titan has 200 players after a week of advertising. Thats sure going to cost a lot.

Btw in my post it was a dream scenario where he didn't even withdraw the donation money for paying back himself for his investment. Its 420 from his own pocket.

Last edited:
You guys don't seem to get it. 500 or even 1000 euro is nothing in long term.

Let me quickly explain it to you.
There was 2 items in the shop that was basicly a must buy. (Staff and rune).

Lets say 3 days countdown gets 200 players. That makes 3x90 euro which = 270 euro. And this MUST be paid beforehand. You risk not even getting any players. Which is unlikely but still a risk.

For a long term server with ddos protection etc. Its probably more beneficial to buy a couple of months of dedicated server at once. (You save money this way).

60 euro every month 3 months is 180 euro so lets give the discount now. 150 euro with discount.

270 euro + 150 euro = 420 euro (lol that number xD)

The server will be up for atleast 3 months now guaranteed.
By this time the server WILL lose alot of players, either cause they got bored or another reason.

Anyway the server has a superb owner and he doesn't take anything from donations for himself so he has to do his rl job for real life expenses. Meaning he has less time to actually update the server.

Judging from this thread Gaal and Fare are the only ones working on the server. If they both work on contet 2-3 hours a day Which is the time they have left after real life ( 8 hours sleep 8 hours job. Dinner, toilet breaks etc and probably hanging out with friends or family) meaning this is just a hobby.

If Gaal doesn't take anything from the 1k euro in donation the server can be up atleast for a year. Now why did I say "the server will only be up for 4-6 months"? Because its unlikely that content will be developed faster than players clear it with just 2 developers.
Gaal needs to log in atleast 1 hour a day to just check whats up in game too. And atleast 1 hour reading thro forum, bug report logs etc, while also working on the server

Btw all of theese is before chargebacks. I didn't even consider chargebacks in example given above. Just think of all theese in Gaal/Fare's shoes

Oh I also left out the crying about unbalance and toxic life ingame because its usually tutors and gm's handling that.

I can write alot more about these thing but I am busy with rl job. Anyway I hope Gaal can prove me wrong and the server stays healthy with a lot of players and longevity of server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that nobody will donate more unless there is something more in the shop. So he has a budget of 1k euro witht thoose 2 items

what the fuck u talking about monkey always good laugh after ur posts

lol Please refer to my post about item upgrades degrading. Let me add item to donor shop to prevent item from degrading. :eek:

Anyway no one needs to prove this guy wrong because I also dropped quite a bit of money on this ot in just the first week. I can guarantee alot of ppl donated just as much if not more than I did.. which means the income is quite a bit more than what you're trying to say. Anyway, I gotta go look for that knife I feel like headbuttin.

lol Please refer to my post about item upgrades degrading. Let me add item to donor shop to prevent item from degrading. :eek:

Anyway no one needs to prove this guy wrong because I also dropped quite a bit of money on this ot in just the first week. I can guarantee alot of ppl donated just as much if not more than I did.. which means the income is quite a bit more than what you're trying to say. Anyway, I gotta go look for that knife I feel like headbuttin.
Let me headbutt with u <3

Was actually going to post some really long shitwqll but nvm xD Its just a waste of time. Time will tell anyway so why should I care.

So, @Gaal any news on the website?
Why would you like to see news? He has given news and had to delay. It seems he keeps his mouth closed now until it's there and he'll be able to throw it on here. I guess that will be your news :).

@Weelet The question was directed towards Gaal and I'd like to know because it now 4 days until the advertising is supposed to start. Maybe not having the website up and running means that the advertising/release of the server will also be delayed (I hope not). Just there are many of us who would rather know whats going on than sitting in the dark.

Back