• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ascalon - The revival

I honestly dont think you ever plan on releasing the server, and if you release the server I dont think you will a good owner. All I have seen are some pictures of new items and a lot, a lot of words. Iam guessing its been more the 6 months now. Fare would create whole new citys with new complicated quests within a month, because he worked so hard at it. Not saying you dont work hard, but if Fare was working MUCH faster then you are, and that was not enough to keep players at Ascalon, I dont think that your slower rate of work (and lets be honest, nobody will create the quality content like Fare) will keep players on Ascalon. I have been a part of Ascalon since the first season, and this is just my thoughts on it.

But anyway, its good that you at least try, keep it up! About merc, this is my idea; have a quest where you can earn a merc. You will have to choose between mercs, and this is a life-long choice. You can summon your merc with a spell once you have unlocked him, but he will only be available for some time and then needs to cooldown. And even then, it should cost gold every time you summon him!

@up
It's sad but true.
Fare is way better than me in code write and I'm a baby standing next to him
asking for food.
I agree on that one, But the fact that you dont see something,
does not mean the thing is not there. :)
I guess you will have to wait till realese and judge me then.
Btw, if you check my older posts you will see that I wrote that I had no intention to show anything.

About mercs, I think your idea is the best solution.
Cheers.

tbh, we rushed the content of old ascalon much faster then anyone thought lol I used to play like 12h's a day MANUAL, and days and days of that.
Don't just keep adding shit to the server, it never really needed all those enchancements and all the new things u added, it just needed a bit lower exp, and more overall content. I don't want to see shitload of new uber items/summons etc... Pvp is really dynamic as it is, with all the stuns, slows, etc..
If I see 5 people coming at me with 5 mercs and just trapping me with them, I'll just logg off lol

There is only so much that you can do for a Tibia server to seem appealing. Tibia in general is rapidly dying, with the once kids now college / work attenders not having time or just bored of the same game for 10 years quitting it's hard to bring newcomers to this game when there are more appealing games like Tera, WoW, Destiny, CSGO, League (In some ways) and many others.

I trust in you to bring us a good version of Ascalon, Gaal, If you can't then that is fine by me as well. At least you tried.

I also agree with Testaas idea for mercs. But still keep them for only hunting, PvP and Dungeons are already easy enough with a decent 2-3 man team, no reason to make the server even more boring.

We decided not to add the mercs system on the opening of Ascalon.
Your reasons showed me that my system has lots of errors when it comes to PvP.
We will see if it has a place in the server at all.

About what Pecax said om the game being easy..
The magic gems and ability stones will be with % success rate.
The map is much bigger now so it can hold more active players.
Most of the quests,npcs,chests on map got changed,
The XP on most monsters is diffrent now.
The biggest concern now is the magic herbs, they might ruin the balance (pvp+pve)
so I'm running tests and balancing as much as I can.

Again, Dont expect a diffrent game, it's ascalon (maybe a bit better)
:p

We decided not to add the mercs system on the opening of Ascalon.
Your reasons showed me that my system has lots of errors when it comes to PvP.
We will see if it has a place in the server at all.

About what Pecax said om the game being easy..
The magic gems and ability stones will be with % success rate.
The map is much bigger now so it can hold more active players.
Most of the quests,npcs,chests on map got changed,
The XP on most monsters is diffrent now.
The biggest concern now is the magic herbs, they might ruin the balance (pvp+pve)
so I'm running tests and balancing as much as I can.

Again, Dont expect a diffrent game, it's ascalon (maybe a bit better)
:p

Just remember that most players won't be able to spend 12h a day leveling, there will always be someone who'll rush the content and balancing the server around such a person isn't the best idea in my opinion. Also, I think that adding RNG (gems, ability stones) is never a good way to make server more 'difficult' and it feels like some zynga-shit. Lastly, I see that you take the feedback provided in this thread very seriously and it's awesome, but I don't think you should give up a system you've been working on even before the server release. If mercenaries turn out to be a game-breaker you can remove or tweak them afterwards. I love Ascalon because of it's custom features and I've never seen mercenary system anywhere, so I was actually looking forward to giving it a try.

Thoughts ~
Lack of custom features and systems have never been Ascalon's problem. There are loads of systems to learn and now you've apparently created even more. I'm not complaining. I love exploring and experiencing new systems and features. It's just that those things can be implemented while the server is up and going. The main problem about Ascalon WAS the limited content. And you're saying that you've added LOADS of new hunting spots and quests for us to discover. So what's taking so long?
As long as you keep adding content for us, we'll be fine.

Mercenary System
About the mercenary system. Someone here actually came up with a good idea. You finish a quest, difficulty decided by you, Gaal. The rewards could be 3 different mercenaries. A tanky one, a healing one and a damage dealing one. Every time you summon your mercenary they assist you for X amount of minutes and costs X amount of gold, with a cooldown of X amount of minutes.
If the mercenary system fails and proves to be too OP or just a waste, you can just delete the from the server entirely. But since it's something you've worked on for a longer period, at least give it a try.

^ No need to create something thats gonna be deleted. He can test it on beta

Like @Pecax said, test merc system in beta and then decide. IMO they are a fun system for the solo grinders, you could for example lower their base speed which makes them less good in team hunts and pvp.

anyways keep up the good work :) i'll definetly try when its done ^^

He ALREADY created it. Then he might as well give it a try.

Ok. U know what would happen if he added it, some people liked it some not, and than he removed them? CHAOS lol
It's never a good idea to add something that might/or not work

The tests with mercenaries are done.
At this point we prefer to keep them off the game,
We have them ready to launch after we find the best way to NOT ruin the game.
Right now they are op, it will take me too long to rework the system (I like the idea of a quest rewarding players with the option to choose from 3-4 mercs).
So I decided to keep this system for later (if at all)
That's because my biggest concern right now is to launch Ascalon.

The gems and stones having %success will just make the game better imo,
There are so many ways to get them and it makes the game more balanced.

So what's taking so long?
Website will be active this saturday.
Next week I will make the advertise thread, and a week after that the adventures on Ascalon will begin
:)

r30gi.jpg

I'm SOOOO glad to hear that Mercs will not be added. Sorry not sorry but the Mercs would just change the style of the server from Ascalon to something else, which I was not looking forward to.
What I am upset about is that gems/stones will now be an RNG.... before you could upgrade whatever you want and once you were done with the item you could just throw it into the fire and get your stones back which was awesome.
Note that it was still hard to upgrade better equipment cause you needed higher tier stones which often took a while.

But now since it will be RNG, getting good equipment will be 100% luck.. I feel like that was a bad way to make it "more difficult". A better way would of been to make it so it takes more gem/stones to upgrade an item or that you have to pay money each time you want to upgrade, anything other than RNG :(. Knowing my luck it will take me ages to upgrade a weapon but then there will be those who get every single stone to work.. which will make me frustrated considering the server already has enough luck based features. (AKA looting items and successfully getting crafting recipes to work)

The only thing I felt the server was lacking, was just content. For the most part all of the current features were perfectly fine. All we need was more quests, spells, monsters, etc.. I want Ascalon to still have the same nostalgic feeling otherwise it's not Ascalon anymore. Anyway I'm still looking forward to the release! It's long overdue haha. I won't be able to play 24/7 since school started, but I will try to have as much fun as possible. :)

I agree with the fact you have a chance to fail, this will make the grind for gems a bit more worthwhile. I just hope there's no fail mechanic involved that will devalue your already gained amount of upgrades. So let's say your items is +5 and you fail, it turns +4 again. This will make it a lot less interesting.

Last edited:
Back