• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Enhancing graphics to 64x64 with machine learning

Do you think it an improvement or not?

• Definitely an improvement

Votes: 103 96.3%
  • It's worse

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No useful difference

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
That looks worse than the original client.
It is because he resize item by item instead of resizing full game window like in the first post of this topic, but I hope it's just a preview and the final version will be much better: D

The ML is just a way of training the algorithm to convert a 32x32 pixel sprite into 64x64. What you get with good training (providing the algorithm with 64x64 pixel sprites to learn from) is a properly stretched sprite that's much sharper than the original. It simply looks much better.

What you're saying is you can basically double the size of an image while not only keeping but improving quality. Congratulations, you have found the holy grail of image processing. On OTLand of all places. who would have thought.

I'm a graphic designer, and new 64x64 sprites are way better, but you will never get artists to do that if you handle it like open tibia sprite pack project, I remember looking at it years ago and was willing to contribute, but it was just way to confusing, artists don't want to lose time looking at bizarre file formats and figuring out how to compile weird programs. If you want artist to contribute you need to make it easy for then, give then a PNG file or something similar and tell then, make this but beautiful in 64x64 #whatever @otland bla bla.
You are lucky enough if they end up in this site by chance, just make it easy to help you.

I'm a graphic designer, and new 64x64 sprites are way better, but you will never get artists to do that if you handle it like open tibia sprite pack project, I remember looking at it years ago and was willing to contribute, but it was just way to confusing, artists don't want to lose time looking at bizarre file formats and figuring out how to compile weird programs. If you want artist to contribute you need to make it easy for then, give then a PNG file or something similar and tell then, make this but beautiful in 64x64 #whatever @otland bla bla.
You are lucky enough if they end up in this site by chance, just make it easy to help you.
I don't see any issue here. What is preventing anyone from posting .png files? Why would a graphic designer for any reason care about compiling and working with programs that aren't related to his work?

I don't see any issue here. What is preventing anyone from posting .png files? Why would a graphic designer for any reason care about compiling and working with programs that aren't related to his work?
You seen the project page? is a confusing mess, where do you even start? I'm talking for personal experience, try to see it whit the eyes of someone how never even have used the word compile OpenTibia Sprite Pack (https://otland.net/threads/opentibia-sprite-pack.254815/) what you do? what tiles they need? what tiles are already done? is there a style guide? I just post the pictures? git hub? whats that?
Talk the language of people you want the help from, i don't think it's much to ask.
Pixel-Artist use twitter and discord, they like some guidelines if they work in a huge co-op project (again worked on some in pixeljoint), you may think they are stupid lacy or whatever but, the fact is that a 2017 project is going nowhere they way you do things.

You seen the project page? is a confusing mess, where do you even start? I'm talking for personal experience, try to see it whit the eyes of someone how never even have used the word compile OpenTibia Sprite Pack (https://otland.net/threads/opentibia-sprite-pack.254815/) what you do? what tiles they need? what tiles are already done? is there a style guide? I just post the pictures? git hub? whats that?
Talk the language of people you want the help from, i don't think it's much to ask.
Pixel-Artist use twitter and discord, they like some guidelines if they work in a huge co-op project (again worked on some in pixeljoint), you may think they are stupid lacy or whatever but, the fact is that a 2017 project is going nowhere they way you do things.
Why do you need to use the word compile?
If you briefly scroll through the thread, you'll notice people are posting their sprites on the thread itself for free use and for the person who organised the thread (I presume), to upload them to GitHub. It's not publicly changeable, therefore, you have no need to worry about compiling anything. Just create sprites, upload them to your image host, then post them into the thread. Or even better, add them as an attachment.

Like you, other people have their own ways of working. If you have a preference, that's your preference. The only reason for you to access GitHub is an alternative source to download the existing files. The person who organised it was encouraged to upload to GitHub by the community, which, once again, has no impact on the way you can share sprites.

Anyway, back to topic. I have to say, the 64x64 looks amazing!

Why do you need to use the word compile?
If you briefly scroll through the thread, you'll notice people are posting their sprites on the thread itself for free use and for the person who organised the thread (I presume), to upload them to GitHub. It's not publicly changeable, therefore, you have no need to worry about compiling anything. Just create sprites, upload them to your image host, then post them into the thread. Or even better, add them as an attachment.

Like you, other people have their own ways of working. If you have a preference, that's your preference. The only reason for you to access GitHub is an alternative source to download the existing files. The person who organised it was encouraged to upload to GitHub by the community, which, once again, has no impact on the way you can share sprites.

Anyway, back to topic. I have to say, the 64x64 looks amazing!
It's not my way of working, i dont even sprite for years is the way pixel art communities work.

It's not my way of working, i dont even sprite for years is the way pixel art communities work.
Otland is not a pixel art community, therefore you shouldn't expect them to work in that way, even if the work they are releasing is involved with pixel art.

Back