• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[FAQ] I'm a complete noob

ArchKnight

Reaction score
Can someone point mt to the FAQ ?

Can't seem to find it. The search function doesn't seem to help. So I guess I'll ask some basic questions here & test how friendly this place is:

Q: What is this place ?
A: Well I can answer this sorta. It's a forum to download a open source tibia client or just maybe a place to talk about them. This seems to be one where English is the most spoken language.

Q: Is this legal ? Can't you be sued by Tibia ? I heard they don't like that this OT is taking away their business.

Q: So it uses C++ ? Since one topic had C++ in the title, that would be my guess & something called Mqsl or something.

Q: Can this thing be hosted by a solo person without any outside help ? Or does anyone have to connect to a common Msql ? Do they have to donate to that Mqsl ?

Q: So far, every game seems to be begging for donations, Ha. Are there any games that where you don't have to pay for a premium account ? Some games even have it where you pay REAL money to get items in game.... That kind of thinking is why I left the real Tibia.

Q: This forum doesn't seem to have many posts for something claiming to be so old. Or was i mistaken. Is this the number one top site for Open Tibia ?

Q: How much programing is involved to get a server up & what would the time frame be ?

Q: I googled "Tibia server" & found http://www.otservlist.org/ I clicked on the American flag servers but the forums for those severs are not in English... What's up with that ?

Q: I see a lot of servers described with 4 things:
Exp x?
Mag x?
Skill x?
Loot x?
Are these the only stats that can be changed ? Is everything so hard coded that you can only change these 4 & the maps ? You can't add new stats skills or magic ?

*** When advertising your game I think the first thing you should mention in your post is if you have to PAY for anything in the game. & if you don't have to PAY, that would be a major selling point to have first :D Also the language spoken & the PVP coding. & of course the size of the world.

Everything is free, everything is legal (not technically) and everything can be changed (you set whatever you want to whatever you want, but with some things you will need more experience).
I didnt bother to answer them numberly, but I can say all questions has the "positive" answers.

Can someone point mt to the FAQ ?

Can't seem to find it. The search function doesn't seem to help. So I guess I'll ask some basic questions here & test how friendly this place is:

Q: What is this place ?
A: Well I can answer this sorta. It's a forum to download a open source tibia client or just maybe a place to talk about them. This seems to be one where English is the most spoken language.

Q: Is this legal ? Can't you be sued by Tibia ? I heard they don't like that this OT is taking away their business.
You won't be sued by tibia.

Q: So it uses C++ ? Since one topic had C++ in the title, that would be my guess & something called Mqsl or something.
Sources are written in C++, you do not have to know C++ to run your server.

Q: Can this thing be hosted by a solo person without any outside help ? Or does anyone have to connect to a common Msql ? Do they have to donate to that Mqsl ?
The MySQL database is not neccesary for all servers, some servers are in XML versions. The Forgotten Server, kind of the best one is only SQL. You can find tutorials on how to run your MySQL Database. The OTS can be hosted solo.

Q: So far, every game seems to be begging for donations, Ha. Are there any games that where you don't have to pay for a premium account ? Some games even have it where you pay REAL money to get items in game.... That kind of thinking is why I left the real Tibia.
Here are no other games then OT distros, but you do not have to pay anything for PACC. You can easily add premium days in database or XML file when using XML server. Although, advanced servers may ask for real money donations for premmy, but it's VERY rare. Mostly you buy premium accounts for tibia Money.

Q: This forum doesn't seem to have many posts for something claiming to be so old. Or was i mistaken. Is this the number one top site for Open Tibia ?
This is kinda new site so it can't be number one, but you can find here the best support for The Forgotten Server.

Q: How much programing is involved to get a server up & what would the time frame be ?
If you will use XML server you just have to edit IP in config and you are ready to play. The SQL server takes some more time to run, but it's better.

Q: I googled "Tibia server" & found http://www.otservlist.org/ I clicked on the American flag servers but the forums for those severs are not in English... What's up with that ?
No idea 'bout that site.

Q: I see a lot of servers described with 4 things:
Exp x?
Mag x?
Skill x?
Loot x?
Are these the only stats that can be changed ? Is everything so hard coded that you can only change these 4 & the maps ? You can't add new stats skills or magic ?
Sure you can add new spells, monsters, some talkactions, but addins new stats/skills is in need of editing sources I bet, so yeah, it's hard.

*** When advertising your game I think the first thing you should mention in your post is if you have to PAY for anything in the game. & if you don't have to PAY, that would be a major selling point to have first :D Also the language spoken & the PVP coding. & of course the size of the world.

There ya go.

Back