• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

first language you started using...

saywut?

Java is the best language for instruction on the basic shit, out of the three you mentioned.

C is best for real shit, true. C++ is generally just as good, offers OOP, and also provides features that can be used for RAD; which is a huge plus over C.

It's what my high school went through. But it wasn't that bad, Java's GUI API was fun to play with while learning OOP. And I'm trying to relearn C++ to do OOP, but C is just so much fun.

It's what my high school went through. But it wasn't that bad, Java's GUI API was fun to play with while learning OOP. And I'm trying to relearn C++ to do OOP, but C is just so much fun.
Java's GUI API is its only real advantage over C or C++.
The sad truth is that I still have yet to touch an API that's as simple to use. Simple Direct Media Layer does come close, though.

All the languages at the same time..

Yes, im Chuck Norris son ^^..
Chuck Norris doesn't need to write programs, he just kicks his computer and it does exactly what he needs it to.

My First Language? Hmm, C++, then C (I've programmed alot more C then C++), then I went over learning scripts instead PHP, Javascript, Python, Bash Perl, Lua.

Last edited:

Not simple.
Well, it is, if you're just talking about the user interface of it.
But if you're talking about programmatical graphics side of it, like I was (all GUI are basically the same, there's not many differences possible) then Qt is a bulky piece of garbage that gives you nothing over plain old OpenGL.

Qt is a bulky piece of garbage that gives you nothing over plain old OpenGL.
Do you even know what Qt is or what you're talking about? Qt is a very powerful cross-platform GUI library with a simple and clean API, OpenGL is a library for graphics programming. I don't see the connection here.

What on earth are you trying to do in the first place? Trying to make desktop applications with OpenGL??

(all GUI are basically the same)
This is total rubbish. Most GUI libraries like GTK+ or Swing do not render any user interface widgets natively, but instead try to emulate the platform's style. This is the wrong approach to take, and wxWidgets and Qt do it right: by using the platform's own functionality.

Qt also has the cleanest API out of all the GUI libraries I've used. Where wxWidgets requires one to pass all kinds of random arguments to constructors, Qt makes much more sense.

Do you even know what Qt is or what you're talking about? Qt is a very powerful cross-platform GUI library with a simple and clean API, OpenGL is a library for graphics programming. I don't see the connection here.

What on earth are you trying to do in the first place? Trying to make desktop applications with OpenGL??

This is total rubbish. Most GUI libraries like GTK+ or Swing do not render any user interface widgets natively, but instead try to emulate the platform's style. This is the wrong approach to take, and wxWidgets and Qt do it right: by using the platform's own functionality.

Qt also has the cleanest API out of all the GUI libraries I've used. Where wxWidgets requires one to pass all kinds of random arguments to constructors, Qt makes much more sense.
ill have to agree on this one, QT ftw

You clearly didn't read it all.

I said, one: Yes, Qt is a very simple to use GUI
but, two: that Qt doesn't offer anything over OpenGL in programmable graphics.

OpenGL is always available with or without Qt. And programming with it is usually a pretty shitty experience for me. Java's 2D graphics API is a million times simpler than 2D in OpenGL.

I've never used GTK+ so I wouldn't know.
Swing is Java's API. Java's a virtual machine. No shit it emulates appearance and behavior, because that's what Java was made for.

Qt is much cleaner than wxWidgets, no lie. But you misunderstood what I was talking about. I am primarily a game programmer, not an application programmer, so my needs are different. I don't need buttons and panels nearly as much as I need efficient and simple 2D rendering.

You clearly didn't read it all.
I clearly read it very well. First you said that Java's "GUI API" (I assume you were talking about Swing) was the simplest API you had ever seen, with SDL coming in close.

I then propose that you should check out Qt, a great library with a simple API. It was only logical of me to assume that we were talking about the API's, and not any specific functionality of the libraries in question. Qt simply incidentally fit into the conversation at hand as another GUI library.

Since you were talking about SDL, perhaps I should have offered SFML as another library with a clear and simple API.

Swing is Java's API. Java's a virtual machine. No shit it emulates appearance and behavior, because that's what Java was made for.
This is a completely flawed argument. SWT is another GUI library for Java that renders widgets natively like Qt or wx, unlike Swing or AWT. "Java" does not mean that it can't do stuff natively.

But you misunderstood what I was talking about. I am primarily a game programmer, not an application programmer, so my needs are different. I don't need buttons and panels nearly as much as I need efficient and simple 2D rendering.
So are we even talking about Qt in the first place? The graphics functionality it offers is clearly designed to be used with user interfaces built with the same library, not for raw graphics programming like OpenGL.

Games aren't really made with GDI either, are they?

YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME AND HAVE FAILED TO READ THE IMPORTANT PARTS OF EVERY POST SINCE SO NOW I'LL ONLY POST THE IMPORTANT PART

I was talking about the 2D rendering API in Java, not the buttons/panels/etc.

I was talking about the 2D rendering API in Java, not the buttons/panels/etc.
You do realize that typing in all caps and font size 10 makes you look like a total impolite jackass, right?

Now let's examine exactly what you said:
Java's GUI API is its only real advantage over C or C++.

"Java's graphical user interface API" - or in other words, the Swing library and its API. It has absolutely nothing to do with 2D rendering.

Then, you mention how it is one of the simplest API's you have ever used:

The sad truth is that I still have yet to touch an API that's as simple to use

And then you continue to tell us how SDL comes close as a "simple API to use" - at no point were you talking about a simple 2D graphics library, but the application programming interfaces these different libraries expose to the developer.

If you were talking about which 2D programming libraries were the simplest to use, you would be right. But that is not the case here.

You are a rude little boy.

You do realize that typing in all caps and font size 10 makes you look like a total impolite jackass, right?
Because you refuse to read something I've posted twice already.

Now let's examine exactly what you said:

"Java's graphical user interface API" - or in other words, the Swing library and its API. It has absolutely nothing to do with 2D rendering.

Then, you mention how it is one of the simplest API's you have ever used:

And then you continue to tell us how SDL comes close as a "simple API to use" - at no point were you talking about a simple 2D graphics library, but the application programming interfaces these different libraries expose to the developer.

If you were talking about which 2D programming libraries were the simplest to use, you would be right. But that is not the case here.

You are a rude little boy.

It wouldn't surprise me if I were the oldest person on this site, watch who you call a child.

And I told you twice that I was speaking of 2D rendering, not panels/buttons/etc. You simply overlooked that. You're one of those asshats that just argues for the sake of arguing, aren't you? Well, guess what? I don't have the time to waste like that. So if I have to be an asshole to ensure my point is made, I will.

Fucking asshats...

Because you refuse to read something I've posted twice already.
I pointed out what you said in the first place, which is not what you're claiming you said now, and you continue to run in your circular logic when you're proven wrong.

It wouldn't surprise me if I were the oldest person on this site, watch who you call a child.
The way you respond to me proves that your mental age is off by tens of years.

And I told you twice that I was speaking of 2D rendering, not panels/buttons/etc.
Your post about "Java's GUI API being the simplest you've used" sure as hell does not suggest that.

You're one of those asshats that just argues for the sake of arguing, aren't you?
I'm sorry, what? I'm not sure why I even bother to respond to someone who uses the ad hominem fallacy, but I have every right to respond to a post in a public discussion forum. You made a misleading claim, and I corrected you.

Fucking asshats...
The only "asshat" here at the moment is you. Try to behave like a human being while conversing with other people, thank you.

Anyway, asshats aside, Java's 2D Rendering API is pretty impressive. Too bad Java still doesn't perform as well as it should.

Back