• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[France] Ascalon (8.7 Custom) - Coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This beta doesn't seem like it's making any progress. Every time I login 90% of the testers are AFK in trainers 24/7. There is a small amount people to play with, do dungeons, team hunt, etc.. I've basically had to play solo the entire time on the beta and it makes testing unpleasant. Not to mention there is only handful of people who are leveling. I have no idea what the rest of the players are doing, but with this low amount of players it's not very productive.

I think one of the reasons is that no one feels like leveling through all the low level content. I personally think we should have started out the beta with characters preset to mid-level with reasonable gear. This way we would have skipped all of the boring content that no one wants to grind through and we could go straight into testing the new content.

About the beta ending early; it should be the exact opposite. Why would the beta end early if we haven't even tested anything new? At the current rate there is no way we will be able to test all of the new content within 7 days. I'm pretty busy with life so I'm not able to dedicate all of my time into grinding non-stop (nor would I want to on a beta). With 2x exp it will take quite some time to get a decent level.

We need the beta to test content, find bugs, and give feedback so I don't think closing early will do the server any favors. I'm hoping you'll think of some way to speed up the progress because it seems like you are losing the interest of most players. :(

First 300 in beta woo

ObZmNbc.png
You abused to get level 300.

So there is just about nothing new from 1 - 300. It is pointless having this beta tbh. I've sat there and grinding the past few days getting here and now I don't want to go any further because I'm going to have to re do it all in a few days. Just launch the beta now, no need to wait it any longer.

@Gaal If you are wanting to continue the beta up for more testing then increase the exp, theres no need for us to grind levels for beta phase. Seems wasteful imo.

Last edited:
I think having an Open-Beta, will benefit way more. Giving more players to find things at a quicker pace as well (Hopefully). More players=more teams to hunt in harder areas (New areas as well), having limited players makes this take longer. Maybe having the beta pushed another week but Open to everyone, with rewards for most bugs found (As stated on site in forums), will help get this beta where it needs to be in making sure critical bugs are found, as I already had to have my character reset due to a Bug from a hunting ground and still unsure what I did to cause that to happen, which in my opinion is crucial to find as you don't want to have to be resting everyones character when this happens :p, still having lots of fun regardless ^^

I think having an Open-Beta, will benefit way more. Giving more players to find things at a quicker pace as well (Hopefully). More players=more teams to hunt in harder areas (New areas as well), having limited players makes this take longer. Maybe having the beta pushed another week but Open to everyone, with rewards for most bugs found (As stated on site in forums), will help get this beta where it needs to be in making sure critical bugs are found, as I already had to have my character reset due to a Bug from a hunting ground and still unsure what I did to cause that to happen, which in my opinion is crucial to find as you don't want to have to be resting everyones character when this happens :p, still having lots of fun regardless ^^
I agree should be open beta, and honesty should stay open til Gaal is ready to launch the server.... Put down beta launch 1 week after. However, I don't think the vampire spawn was why your char was bugged or whatever because we explored every part of that spawn openin everything possible

Maybe not the vampire spawn :p. Just was retracing my steps trying to figure out what caused this, If i clicked something or opened something, as it happened to one other person who claimed to have hunted in Vamps and some other spawn before it happened, either way, itll be found again as Ill hunt the places I did around when that happened, and re-explore all those places, opening everything etc, im sure ill run into it again.

@Gaal I hope you're not planning on extending the Closed-Beta. I am slowly losing hype here....

Edit: (9 player online) *FacePalm*
We have already stated the reason why there are barely any players online.
Ending closed beta might be a reasonable choice, but only if it turns into an open beta. We need a beta of some type because none of the new content has even been tested yet.

Ending closed beta might be a reasonable choice, but only if it turns into an open beta. We need a beta of some type because none of the new content has even been tested yet.
A beta is not "needed" as long as the new contents has no major bugs. A couple of map errors won't be that influential. The reason I am against another Beta is that it would be time consuming and, most importantly, spoiling the new. To put it into perspective, in the past era's we didn't need a beta or tests every time new content were released.

betas arent for testing new monsters/hunting places...

Is this server still goin to be BOT friendly as it was announced before?
I don't like this trash play style and won't give it a chance.

First era was rulled by botters...

A beta is not "needed" as long as the new contents has no major bugs. A couple of map errors won't be that influential. The reason I am against another Beta is that it would be time consuming and, most importantly, spoiling the new. To put it into perspective, in the past era's we didn't need a beta or tests every time new content were released.
How would you know the new content has no major bugs if there is no beta? Gaal certainly doesn't have the time to develop the server AND test everything himself. What do you think would happen if the server launched and we ran into major bugs, crashes, rollbacks, etc... you know how mad and pissed off people get?

betas arent for testing new monsters/hunting places...
Beta can be for anything it wants to be as long as it involves finding bugs WHICH you can find in new monsters/hunting places. New content doesn't just mean new monsters/hunting places; it also means new items, bosses, quests, NPC's, systems, etc...

How would you know the new content has no major bugs if there is no beta? Gaal certainly doesn't have the time to develop the server AND test everything himself. What do you think would happen if the server launched and we ran into major bugs, crashes, rollbacks, etc... you know how mad and pissed off people get?

Beta can be for anything it wants to be as long as it involves finding bugs WHICH you can find in new monsters/hunting places. New content doesn't just mean new monsters/hunting places; it also means new items, bosses, quests, NPC's, systems, etc...
if monsters/bosses are just straight up copied versions of other monster with different stats etc, and no new special abilities etc there is 0 point to testing them, other than to spoil content..
testing new bosses is easy to do with just the staff, since there isnt really THAT many (and it doesnt take long to test it with a few staff members either)
npcs do not need testing in 99% of the times, because theyre just a copy paste of another npc with differente values
the only thing that actually needs testing are new scripts etc which have not been tested in ANY way before

there is a reason why games pretty much NEVER have end game content in the beta, but rather just new systems..

there was plenty of major bugs last time it went online
promotion npc wasn't working, many areas where you got stuck & places that were unreachable because of map bugs, new tasks npc weren't working, herbs which made you take zero damage, and even some items weren't even working to equip, I remember selling my g6 wand then spamming all my g7 stones and gems on the g7 wand to just realize that I couldn't even equip it. Gaal did manage to fix all the bugs at a reasonable pace though but finding bugs like that highly discouraged me from playing, when the server was supposed to be ready.

I think having a beta is necessary to prevent having the same buggy things happening once again even if it destroys the fun of exploring the new content.

Idk all I know is if it doesn't turn open beta I'm not logging in again. Anytime I login nobody is playing and everyone is in trainers. LEGIT EVERYONE. Most of the time I enjoy team hunting and everyone can agree that it is easier lol

promotion npc wasn't working, many areas where you got stuck & places that were unreachable because of map bugs, new tasks npc weren't working, herbs which made you take zero damage, and even some items weren't even working to equip, I remember selling my g6 wand then spamming all my g7 stones and gems on the g7 wand to just realize that I couldn't even equip it. Gaal did manage to fix all the bugs at a reasonable pace though but finding bugs like that highly discouraged me from playing, when the server was supposed to be ready.

I think having a beta is necessary to prevent having the same buggy things happening once again even if it destroys the fun of exploring the new content.
I don't recall any bugs (apart from very minor ones) last time I played Ascalon. If we're actually supposed to be testing stuff, why are the testers spending so many time moving in circles hunting to gain levels instead of just being provided the level to test directly?

everything you mentioned is very minor, or fixable very fast
for maps bugs he can edit the map so its fixed on reload, and add tiles / remove items etc ingame to fix until restart
task npcs is very easy to fix and /reload npcs
herb which made you take 0 dmg is also a very easy bugfix (unless the system it works with it coded super dumb, in that case disable that herb until fixed)
items not working to equip should also be very easy to fix and reload items

just because you have a beta doesnt mean you wont have any bugs (and with the case this beta is going, people are just playing normally instead of trying to abuse things to find bugs...)
as a player you're gonna have to get used to that there are a few bugs

everything you mentioned is very minor, or fixable very fast
for maps bugs he can edit the map so its fixed on reload, and add tiles / remove items etc ingame to fix until restart
task npcs is very easy to fix and /reload npcs
herb which made you take 0 dmg is also a very easy bugfix (unless the system it works with it coded super dumb, in that case disable that herb until fixed)
items not working to equip should also be very easy to fix and reload items

just because you have a beta doesnt mean you wont have any bugs (and with the case this beta is going, people are just playing normally instead of trying to abuse things to find bugs...)
as a player you're gonna have to get used to that there are a few bugs
THANK YOU!

Hi everyone, sorry it takes me time to reply, it's been holidays where I live at.
The server will be free for all starting from tomorrow.
The beta will end on thursday.
We are sorry for the beta not being fun and all. Hopefully, the officiall launch wont fail you guys :)

Betas are not meant to show all of the endgame material anyway. Betas are used for a taste of what's to come, a beta on Ascalon is rather pointless since everything up until like 350~ has always stayed the exact same. Unless you add in content for the early stages of the server a beta is an absolute waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.