• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help me decide!

Rab

Reaction score
Kk, i've been working on a rl map with no lag and almost no bugs, but i have some pro's and con's:

Pro's: big map, no need to map more, a lot of people look for it...
Con's: bugs, incomplete quests, i can't map much more for several reasons (too big map, no need to map...). I've made up 300 EUR with daopay with it and i'm getting payed in the end of this month that's why i want to decide before buying a dedicated... I've got 50 people normally in this ot, max 100.

So people, i'll rep you if you help me. My problem is, i've worked way too much to handle this ot, but i feel its like a waste because all that hard work for 50 people... Shall i make a new map or... what? What do you say? Shall i:
a. Stay with this map, with time people will come.
b. Make a new custom map
c. Edit some made map over here
Please, be sure you add details like, with teleports, high exp, low exp, boats, how many city's, and all you can. Thanks! I'll really appreciate

Please guys! Just let your opinion, it's really important for me... I'll rep+ for it...

If you made 300$ in donations so far I would not suggest changing the map on your server unless all your donaters agree. If you make at least 100$ a month and think your OT will only increase in players, you could buy a dedi for your real map server and host it there, stop developing it and then work on a new server and home host it. You should try a war or 100% custom RPG server if a real map wont bring you players.

Do a coustom map, there is like 36982457295691759269758 rl maps already, and 23947265472 evo maps.. The time to make a NEW map has come.

Yeah, that's good too since i really want to start mapping again, but if i do that, there's a lot of questions to make... Teleports, no teleports, trainers, no trainers, and such... I'm looking for a serious ot that lasts years since i've got money for dedicated and pc's to host if i run out of money

Yeah, that's good too since i really want to start mapping again, but if i do that, there's a lot of questions to make... Teleports, no teleports, trainers, no trainers, and such... I'm looking for a serious ot that lasts years since i've got money for dedicated and pc's to host if i run out of money

Different people like different style servers. If you want to see the most popular types of servers, why not read the description of the top 40 servers on otservlist and try a couple, then decide which brings the most players.

Okay guys, making a custom map, harder than what i thought, but i'll make it. Thanks to all! Rep for you. If you want to comment something else, go ahead :)

Hope its good enough please dont make it low exp, would be fun to get lvl 300 in 6 hours,not 100 days, also teleports please and real war system

:peace:

Agree with everyone who says: Custom map!
As someone already said, there are Billions of RL maps, millions, Evo maps, and a few custom made maps.

As for my own experience, you shouldn't map too detailed, like Neon maps :p MOST of the players are kids, they just want to play for getting highest lvl, and be the best player in the server. So they stick to less details in the map.
Also, most of the players (as I belive) likes portal maps more, than RPG maps(You know run around and explore).
For quests, you shouldn't make them too advanced, like
Code:
Pull this lever, and a stone turns into another lever. And use that lever to create a portal.
These are my 5 years of ot server experience :p

Edit: Most of the players also likes custom mobs (but not that they have to download a custom client, so stick to those monsters u already have and remake them).
A tips of monsters: Monsters with gm /god /cm outfit :D

Really usefull, i'll have some of those tips in my project, tho i want to make something serious and that lasts long. Thanks! Rep+

I promise you... a server that's custom made, simple spells, easy to exp(but not too easy) = servers that hold as longest :D
See otchoas as an example (Untill the end when they began to destroy the fun, by having spawns in some kind of "Houses" not a hunting ground)
Servers like that, do the most kids like, weekly updates of maps and custom mobs :p
And that's the key too, if your map is small (13 mb?) then u have to create new hunting areas, atleast once a week.
Also that you have a maintance day, every monday (as an example), that's the day when u shutdown and restart your dedic/computer, and update the map, and new mobs. Maybe new spells.

Another tips is that every time you do a maintance, do a backup of your database(SQL)and your Distro. so IF something would happend when you update, you have a backup.

Last edited:
What do you want? More players or more money?
If you want more money then my best advice is to stop using DaoPay and start using a donation system that works with Credit Cards.

If you want more players, try special advertising on otslist.eu or otservlist.org

Red

@red
well, why stop using daopay and use credit card system ? o_O most of the players are kids, who don't own a credit card, and I bet that his/her parents won't allow them to buy artifical items with credits.

Well, i've already got money, but not satisfied with my ot, that's why i made this post, i just want players. Thanks again tosse, tho i have to spread some rep till give you again, Red, i gave you rep too but are you sure that advertising will work?

but are you sure that advertising will work?
It will work :p If u just put ur server online and add it in otservlist.org.
The trick is to make your advertising intresting (Which MANY ppls fails at) Even I do :p

@red
well, why stop using daopay and use credit card system ? o_O most of the players are kids, who don't own a credit card, and I bet that his/her parents won't allow them to buy artifical items with credits.

DaoPay ends up taking 75% or so of all the money you make due to.. well, that's just how it works with a phone system, they're not greedy, it's just how it works, search for some posts around here from DaoArnold.
PayPal takes around 3-4% roughly of what you make. And more people have credit cards than you may believe. (Less than phones, but you definitely make more)

Well, i've already got money, but not satisfied with my ot, that's why i made this post, i just want players. Thanks again tosse, tho i have to spread some rep till give you again, Red, i gave you rep too but are you sure that advertising will work?

When I got the very first advertising block of otservlist, I was a black pony and I got 100~ players in 2 days. I've had advertising for nearly a year straight. These days.. I seem to be getting much less, but I don't see how any server (unless completely epic) comes up without advertising on otservlist these days.

Red

When you are finished with your Custom map, you could make 2 ways of payment, Daopay for the kids who can't use credit cards, and Pay Pal for the players that can. It's not hard, it would end up being more money in the end anyways. Any1 who wants to donate. . . Can . . .

Back