• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help with a new server I want to open, easy questions for those who know.

rojomonn

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

I want to start a new OT project during the summer, I got a few doubts concerning the basics, hope you can help me.

The server I intend to create will be dedicated (hosted), I wan't it to be high exp rated, with prestige system (maybe), custom vocations (some added through items), custom map and items, donations through website, sms, etc.

So here are my doubts:

1. What's the best, most stable engine I can use? Tfs, otx, etc, etc. (take in consideration how easy is to create/edit scripts and which one has more available scripts) (give reason please).

2. Mysql, Sqlite (give reason please).

3. Based on your experience, which server version attracts more players and it's best suited for my server? 8.6, 9.44, etc etc.

I appreciate the help and please try to justify your answers, ofc +Rep will be given to those who help with good answers.

Roger

1. Tfs is more Stable, and i've been using it for years now..

2. Mysql, to save time, easy to use... (i don't have a perfect answer, so wait for anyone else to justify why is mysql/sqlite better)

3. 8.6, lots of botters.

Sqlite is FAST and easy, you wont stutter and be confused, 8.6 would be a good starter for you, People who say tfs is more stable, Hmm well, I think OTX is quite stable also, Running a 9.8, Very stable

TFS 0.2 versions is the most stable one but less features.
TFS 0.3 got more features then 0.2

SQLite is easy? I have never tried but it can hold a smaller database.
MySQL - Can hold a bigger database, easy to use. I would use MySQL.
(I have never tried SQLite so I can't say how it is).

8.6 is very poppular because everyone can use unofficial software to play.
The map, scripts and staff members also affects the player attraction.

Sqlite is easier yes, since you don't need any host for the databases, you just manage the file with some program. I don't know which one is safer, I would say sqlite since the file is only accessible by the host machine, but I'm not sure.

MySQL is better if you want a website, and you said that so.. you'll have to go with MySQL

You can have a website with SQLite if you use Gesior, but some others don't support it so you have less choice.
SQLite is alot more easy then MySQL, you don't have to setup anything, so you can't do it wrong and it's alot harder to hack then MySQL. You only have to use a program to open the database. If you use it, I advice SQLite Manager (Firefox add-ons) and not SQLite Studio, since SQLite Manager is more easy to use.
But as HalfAway posted, MySQL can hold a bigger database, so if you have alot of players for a really long time, MySQL would be better to use.

Last edited:
Back