• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux How many resources I must have to host a server...

drakylucas

Intermediate OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello guys, good evening.

I have a doubt. I want to create my server and start hosting it on a Linux VPS (due to high cost of dedicated server, it must be a VPS in the beginning).
The question is: how many resources I must have in my VPS in order to host a server with Global Map supporting around 100 players online?

Like: how many RAM, how many CPU cores are needed (how many threads does TFS uses?). How many disk size is required? Etc.

I'd like to have the website and the server running in the same VPS (probably using Docker)

Thanks,
Lucas

Depends on server size. If you run a RL map you would need around 4 GB - 8 GB ram while core isn't that much important as the most VPS already have a good core but at least somewhere between 1.8 ghz + (dual core won't be effective as server runs on one thread only, if I remember correctly)
Smaller map servers won't need that much of ram tho.

Depends on server size. If you run a RL map you would need around 4 GB - 8 GB ram while core isn't that much important as the most VPS already have a good core but at least somewhere between 1.8 ghz + (dual core won't be effective as server runs on one thread only, if I remember correctly)
Smaller map servers won't need that much of ram tho.
How could he run OT with 100 players online on 1.8ghz core?
VPS Has a good core ?
Wtf

With real map servers the most important part imho is how well optimized your datapack is. If you are having countless errors/bugs in console and during gameplay you will have a resource hogging monster. So make sure to optimize your datapack and fix all error messages, then look for a server. If you are going for VPS anyway, that's great for scaling. Start with a small vps and grow bigger as required. Maybe allocate a bit more resources during launch. A high single core cpu benchmark score is important because TFS (afaik) is still using single core?! At least old revisions would.. 4-8GB RAM should be fine to start :)

Dedicated Server hosts I can recommend:
Hetzner
OVH
Online.net
Oneprovider

VPS Hosts:
Ramnode
OVH
Contabo
Liteserver.nl

VPS Has a good core ?
Wtf
Yeah, most of them VPS from OVH for example have a core that's enough already. Something above 2 ghz if I can remember. I had one with around 2 ghz and about 8+ gb ram. I could manage to host over 300 players (rl map) easily without even a single lag. As Damon mentioned already, it is depending on your datapack.

VPS Has a good core ?
Wtf
It depends on CPU IPC, modern CPU with 1.8ghz clock can be as powerful as old CPU with 4ghz. It also depends on data pack and engine you're using, in my opinion it should be able to even have 400-500 players on 1.8ghz core(but it depends what CPU that core is not the clock).

As already was said you should consider CPU with powerful single core score as other cores will remain silent because even website wouldn't be able to use them properly, that is because adding parallelism to TFS would require major code rewrite which no one has yet do.

With real map servers the most important part imho is how well optimized your datapack is. If you are having countless errors/bugs in console and during gameplay you will have a resource hogging monster. So make sure to optimize your datapack and fix all error messages, then look for a server. If you are going for VPS anyway, that's great for scaling. Start with a small vps and grow bigger as required. Maybe allocate a bit more resources during launch. A high single core cpu benchmark score is important because TFS (afaik) is still using single core?! At least old revisions would.. 4-8GB RAM should be fine to start :)

Dedicated Server hosts I can recommend:
Hetzner
OVH
Online.net
Oneprovider

VPS Hosts:
Ramnode
OVH
Contabo
Liteserver.nl
I'm planning to use this fork as a start point:

But fixing major issues that can cause crash (eg. Dragon egg issue reported on their github).. I'm not good at mapping, but I do well programming, so I think I can fix at least critical issues before launch.

I'm planning to host it on Brazil (due to latency, since I live here). Anyone know a good Brazilian vps server? I found one called "G core labs", anyone knows it?

@topic thanks for all answers :)

I'm planning to use this fork as a start point:

But fixing major issues that can cause crash (eg. Dragon egg issue reported on their github).. I'm not good at mapping, but I do well programming, so I think I can fix at least critical issues before launch.

I'm planning to host it on Brazil (due to latency, since I live here). Anyone know a good Brazilian vps server? I found one called "G core labs", anyone knows it?

@topic thanks for all answers :)
You'll get much better pricing in EU (like OVH, Hetzner) and the ping to Brasil shouldn't be that bad.

Back