• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Idea stealing?

Klank

Althea ¤ A New World Developer
Reaction score
Hi.

As the title say im wondering abit around Others Idea's..

Is it okey to use others Game feature, script, items(not sprites) and monster ideas? As im creating my own project i want to implement things other servers also have.. But i am abit afraid of people raging and calling my project a rip-off. This is not about adding everything other servers have, but a few ideas perhaps.

What you guys think?

PS: 900th post 100 to go !! :p

Hi.

As the title say im wondering abit around Others Idea's..

Is it okey to use others Game feature, script, items(not sprites) and monster ideas? As im creating my own project i want to implement things other servers also have.. But i am abit afraid of people raging and calling my project a rip-off. This is not about adding everything other servers have, but a few ideas perhaps.

What you guys think?

PS: 900th post 100 to go !! :p
  1. I think it's okey to use other stuff. Every games has that, like Karma on league of legends. Her lore is a rip off from the religion the karma is from.

1. I think it's okey to use other stuff. Every games has that, like Karma on league of legends. Her lore is a rip off from the religion the karma is from.

Good to hear your opinion. Hopefully other people feels the same way! :p

It's okay. Everybody is doing it. But you should not overdo it. Or if there are any special ideas and you wanna copy them just ask the founders :p. Most of them will say yes and maybe they will help you ,too.
Good Luck with your project sir ;)

Greetings Noxz

As long as you aren't stealing the actual scripts (like files ending in .xml or .lua) from people, you are fine.

If you do the work, I don't care if you copy my servers EXACTLY.

But, if you are just taking ideas from a lot of other servers, and even other games. Then that is what everyone does, and it is perfectly fine.

Noone's ever going to copy everything from a server.
Kay, I lied, we got "best" rl maps.

As soon as you add something new it's okay, everyone knows how many servers do we have, and they're being played, because they got something special. I'm sure you will add lots of custom stuff as well.

Great that you guys feel like that, gives me a wider selection of functions. I have my own ideas i havn't seen any other places , and now + others ideas :D

Great that you guys feel like that, gives me a wider selection of functions. I have my own ideas i havn't seen any other places , and now + others ideas :D

This is an open source community. If something is shared here, it is because the author expects it to be used in some way or fashion. You are not "stealing" anything. If you hack a server and take their data files, that is stealing. It is my suggestion that you do not directly copy/paste others works, but rather expand off of their ideas and contributions, so that you may one day contribute yourself. ;)

Good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing progress. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask. That's what we do. :cool:

Regards,
J.Dre

Back