• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Nostalgia Project

Derlexy

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Nostalgia Project

I'd like to showoff my personal server project,
and collect some thoughts about it.

First things first:
this is a personal project that i`ve working for some time now. At the moment, i have no intention to release it online, at least not as an open server.
I'd like to make that clear at first, because I dont want this thread to be seen as "another 7.4 project surfing that wave". My objective here is to keep me motivated to develop the features I want (by sharing it with you guys), as much as listen to your thoughts and discuss some ideas about my vision of how i think a nostalgic Tibia server should be.

Project Direction

The direction I'm going with the project is quite simple: to bring back the nostalgic feeling I had when I started playing Tibia, in 2002~2003. To achieve this I decided to downgrade a 7.72 server to 7.4. For me, the most important change to bring the nostalgic feeling back was downgrading the server sprites and keep the core game mechanics as close as possible to Tibia version 7.4. In addition to that, I think it's important to add new content and new gameplay possibilities for players. I also want to change some features from the era that, in my view, don't contribute to the longevity of a 7.4 server. Finally, I believe it is essential to make players' level progression a little more difficult.

Additional Features

Time to show you some additional features I've already implemented. Some of them are complete and some are still under development. I intend to show them all here, as soon as I create posts about each one. I'm also looking forward to hearing opinions about it, so feel free to give your opinion and contribute with the discussion as I release it.
#1 New Experience Formula
#2 Monsters Level
#3 Monsters Loot Bonuses
#4 Bestiary System
#5 Items Upgrade System
#6 Mining System
#7 Skinning System
#8 Fishing System Changes
... and much more to come ...

Important

~ this thread is still under development ~

Last edited:
Good for you and good luck with your project. Old graphics bring back memories, but in my opinion, it is impossible to bring back nostalgia and any such project is fated to fail. Times have changed, people have changed - they have grown up. We used to log into Tibia as something unknown, exploring and learning about this world. Now all the information about systems, monsters, spells generally everything about Tibia is described on the Internet, there isn't that aura of mystery. The second thing people - we used to play for fun, just to discover this world - now it's grind, grind, lvl characters, in between PvP - mechanical and routine gameplay.

I'm not saying it's worse or better now. It's just different and the old days can't be recreated, but that's just my opinion - you can try do it :D

Good for you and good luck with your project. Old graphics bring back memories, but in my opinion, it is impossible to bring back nostalgia and any such project is fated to fail. Times have changed, people have changed - they have grown up. We used to log into Tibia as something unknown, exploring and learning about this world. Now all the information about systems, monsters, spells generally everything about Tibia is described on the Internet, there isn't that aura of mystery. The second thing people - we used to play for fun, just to discover this world - now it's grind, grind, lvl characters, in between PvP - mechanical and routine gameplay.

I'm not saying it's worse or better now. It's just different and the old days can't be recreated, but that's just my opinion - you can try do it :D

I agree with you in many ways... But as i said, im not developing this project to offer a nostalgic experience for ppl that played Tibia back in 2000s... Im doing it for me. Yet, im changing so many things that i believe will help to bring back at least a part of that feeling. I'm making it harder, more challenging, creating new contents and misteries. Ofc its not possible to bring back ALL the nostalgic feeling, but I dont need it all, just a good fraction of it. One more thing: i'm also doing it to share with the community some ideas and improvements that i believe can make 7.4 servers better to play (in my opinion, ofc).

There is a lot to show already, hope i can speed up and show you guys some features soon.
Post automatically merged:

#1 New Experience Formula

One of the most important things to bring back the nostalgic feeling of that era, at least for me, is to make it harder for players to level up. This causes more level-based content being explored, as well as recapturing the difficulty feeling of that era, when nobody had much information about the game.

This is the result of my new experience formula:

d29nulZ.png

As we can see, the new formula adds a bit of difficulty for players during the initial levels, and as the player level scale up, the difficulty increases even more. The new formula is not a linear change, that means it is not the Tibia's experience formula multiplied a few times, but rather an exponential change in the formula.

Applying the formula in practice:
Level 20 on Nostalgia
= 167.542 exp = Level 23 on Tibia;
Level 50 on Nostalgia = 3.340.135 exp = Level 60 on Tibia;
Level 80 on Nostalgia = 15.486.688 exp = Level 99 on Tibia;
Level 100 on Nostalgia = 32.319.256 exp = Level 126 on Tibia;
Level 200 on Nostalgia = 334.460.498 exp = Level 273 on Tibia.

In addition to making it difficult for players to advance in levels, this new formula allows other activities within the game (besides hunting) to also reward the player with experience, creating new ways to evolve the character. Imagine being able to perform other types of tasks, such as exploring points of interest, completing quests, mining, fishing, forging and crafting items, and also being rewarded for doing so. Looks like a nice improvement of gameplay, at least to me!

What do you guys think about it? You agree or not with this kind of changes?

Last edited:
#2 Monsters with Level

To bring more excitement and increase the feeling of danger as players explore the world, all monsters on the server have a small chance of spawning in a stronger version. Monsters on the server are classified as follows:

Regular
Angry
Furious
Enraged
Madly Enraged

Zx9WZs7.png

But, as you'd expect, every risk comes with some reward. Players who face and defeat these monsters will be rewarded with more experience, in addition to a chance to obtain bonus loot and a special reward box.

Golden Backpack: bonus loot;
Runic Present Box: rewards who opens with runes;
Jeweled Present Box: rewards who opens with jewelry;
Golden Present Box: rewards who opens with money.

*the bonus loot chances increase with the strength of the killed monster.
*the reward from special boxes depends on the score calculated at the moment the monster died.

AeoWn3E.png

Once you've defeated a monster and collected a special box, you can open it to collect your reward. You can open it multiple times, but each time you open it, the chance of getting something drops drastically. It is possible to know how many times the special box has already been opened:

N5vDIem.png

I have been watching some breadward_ streams and decided to create my own map for this project.
It will be a fully customized map, but trying to keep some characteristics of the global map, to help with the nostalgic feeling.

Map Directions
nZVwT6A.jpg

This is a fantasy map created by me some years ago and now i decided to use for this project.
The main change for now is that Elgaard is now renamed to Guardia.

First Guardia Pics
Guardia is the initial town, its where new players will be send to have the first contact with the world.

[1] Temple
bQABCXD.png

[2] Town Center
AQKE0Tv.png

[3] Weapons Shop
HGrnTSl.png

[4] Pig Farm
nGoaCw0.png

[5] North Bridge
DDoUVml.png

[6] Sewers
8PnYe7Q.png

I'll bring some more pics as I develop the map.
You can also find more pics at Derlexy's Mapping Gallery (https://otland.net/threads/derlexys-mapping-gallery.285922/#post-2730819)

Last edited:
Beautiful! I like the new system, especially the drops

#4 Bestiary System

In my opinion, back in the 2000s, Tibia had a problem that was solved some time later: there was no reason to hunt monsters other than dragons, dls, heroes, behemoths, warlocks or demons. With that in mind, i decided to add one more game objective for the players by introducing an bestiary system.

ZosIYLW.png

Each time you kill a monster, you progress! That is it. No task system that keeps you stuck in a single respawn, but a bestiary system similar to Tibia and other games. Here, the main objective is to complete the ranks of each creature. The ranks are: bronze, silver, golden and platinum. Each creature can be configured in its unique way: the amount of experience and items that players will receive when complete each rank, in addition to the respective rank points, that will be useful for trading for special rewards in the future.

Jf0s47B.png

At the moment, i dont have a OTC configured, so players will receive message feedback everytime they kill a monster:

AXWtDgT.png

But dont worry, players can still configure the monsters they want to receive this messages feedback by using especific commands:

STZyNsZ.png

I know this is not the best way to do it, so in the future I will work on a client and add a specific module for the bestiary system. For now, players can also favorite and unfavorite monsters, to have access to a custom bestiary progress list:

uFxD7eM.png

Once you compelte a bestiary rank, you automatically step up to the next one (if youre not done with all the ranks to that especific monster). All rewards for completing a rank will be send directly to player residence town.

PNIUV8o.png

ixwrrZs.png

So, give your opinion. Do you think that a bestiary system fits in a good way into a 7.4?

I'm 2 years developing an otserver but not 7.4 but with the same goal as you.
finishing site, and multi world system. I'll be online
Multi world? Nice, keep moving foward

Multi world? Nice, keep moving foward
there are few public repositories with it implemented for tfs 1.x Have it too. don't know what it hasn't been implemented into the main tfs repo :S

there are few public repositories with it implemented for tfs 1.x Have it too. don't know what it hasn't been implemented into the main tfs repo :S
I know, it's just that making multiple worlds when you're about to launch your first server seems too complicated to work with

don't know what it hasn't been implemented into the main tfs repo :S

• low demand
  • nobody opened a PR with good code
  • all AAC would have to be updated to support it
  • most server owners struggles to get players to a single ot/world let alone multiple worlds
  • the only "pro" that multiworld bring is using the same account for different worlds, is it worth all the code? I don't think so

my project is based on tibia global, so i am creating a tibia global v2. with my name, so multi world would be something necessary for me, waiting for the website to be finalized to open a beta server. usa, eur, br

So You dont want to make a task system and thats why You make bestiary "task" system?

That's right. I don't want players to be stuck with a single task. Instead, I want players to be able to hunt whatever creature they want, whenever they want, and still progress through the game in some way. The idea is that you are rewarded for completing bestiary ranks, whether by killing weaker or stronger creatures.

#5 Item Upgrade System

To bring a little more depth to the game, more item variety and one more incentive to grind, an item upgrade system was introduced. This system is based on two things: each item has a class and a pool of possible attributes that it can receive when updated (unlike some other servers). In addition to this, all equipments will be more difficult to drop and will not be acquired through quests.

Item Class 1: Common Items
4qcwDhy.png

* can be upgraded up to +3

Item Class 2: Rare Items
zzU3CTH.png

* can be upgraded up to +5

Item Class 3: Very Rare Items
paEEt7y.png

* can be upgraded up to +7

Item Class 4: Legendary Items
aJBxGIx.png

* can be upgraded up to +9

Each item can be upgraded according to its class. Each upgrade has a chance of success, and if it fails, it can downgrade and even have a chance of breaking the item. This way, the rarer the item, the more difficult it will be to ipgrade it to the maximum.

Item Attribute Pool
Each item has its own attribute pool, and each time an upgrade is successfully performed, a random attribute from that pool is drawn and applied to the item. It means that we can have two of the same item, with the same upgrade level, but with different attributes:

tacmUmL.png

How to Upgrade Items
To upgrade an item, it is necessary to use a special reagent that can be crafted through resources acquired by mining and a few other ways. Each item class requires a specific upgrade reagent. The higher the class of the item, the more difficult it is to acquire and craft the reagent.

Last but not least, feels good to see your set upgraded and colored.

boLcejH.png

Don't wanna be the guy to burst your bubble but apart from the 7.4 sprites I don't see any Nostalgia. Infact I see the opposite.

#5 Item Upgrade System

To bring a little more depth to the game, more item variety and one more incentive to grind, an item upgrade system was introduced. This system is based on two things: each item has a class and a pool of possible attributes that it can receive when updated (unlike some other servers). In addition to this, all equipments will be more difficult to drop and will not be acquired through quests.

Item Class 1: Common Items
4qcwDhy.png

* can be upgraded up to +3

Item Class 2: Rare Items
zzU3CTH.png

* can be upgraded up to +5

Item Class 3: Very Rare Items
paEEt7y.png

* can be upgraded up to +7

Item Class 4: Legendary Items
aJBxGIx.png

* can be upgraded up to +9

Each item can be upgraded according to its class. Each upgrade has a chance of success, and if it fails, it can downgrade and even have a chance of breaking the item. This way, the rarer the item, the more difficult it will be to ipgrade it to the maximum.

Item Attribute Pool
Each item has its own attribute pool, and each time an upgrade is successfully performed, a random attribute from that pool is drawn and applied to the item. It means that we can have two of the same item, with the same upgrade level, but with different attributes:

tacmUmL.png

How to Upgrade Items
To upgrade an item, it is necessary to use a special reagent that can be crafted through resources acquired by mining and a few other ways. Each item class requires a specific upgrade reagent. The higher the class of the item, the more difficult it is to acquire and craft the reagent.

Last but not least, feels good to see your set upgraded and colored.

boLcejH.png

I would suggest changing out the blue and purple colors, or maybe make them more saturated as right now you cannot really see them on top of the dark background of the UI. And that's not only visually confusing but also invites a lot of trade scams.

Also maybe add a setting that replaces the border with a letter or a star icon or something, because colorblind people will not be able to use this at all without having to use LookAt all the time.

Don't wanna be the guy to burst your bubble but apart from the 7.4 sprites I don't see any Nostalgia. Infact I see the opposite.

No problem at all. As I said in the first post: "First things first: this is a personal project that i`ve working for some time now. At the moment, i have no intention to release it online, at least not as an open server. [...] my vision of how i think a nostalgic Tibia server should be." So, you're not bursting my bubble, because its not a bubble at first. Besides it, I understand what you mean, and this is the reason I'm creating a server on my own, and not playing Tibiantis. Thanks anyway.
Post automatically merged:

I would suggest changing out the blue and purple colors, or maybe make them more saturated as right now you cannot really see them on top of the dark background of the UI. And that's not only visually confusing but also invites a lot of trade scams.

Also maybe add a setting that replaces the border with a letter or a star icon or something, because colorblind people will not be able to use this at all without having to use LookAt all the time.

I guess youre right... Now that you brought it, it makes sence to me. I'll try a work around.

Back