• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Jfrye's Mapping Pieces

I like it! thought those looked wierd thou.
d79bde2f0d353df8ae1a017e75e57701.png
They are like little swamp bubbles that pop in game. I haven't completely decided if I like them or not.

I have started an orc camp now and needing opinions. I really cant decide how it looks up against the mountain. Please give honest opinions.

orcs.png

Last edited:
I'd recommend putting your palisade walls like this.
DfNbCsy.png

Also, those 'arches' are actually unwalkable (you can see this by hitting 'o' and anything with a red tile is unwalkable.

I'd recommend putting your palisade walls like this.
DfNbCsy.png

Also, those 'arches' are actually unwalkable (you can see this by hitting 'o' and anything with a red tile is unwalkable.

I found out about the arches. So, you are recommending to put the Palisades into the mountain, instead of the way I have it to the left?

So, @Dark199 The red circle is what I think you are saying. Just making sure I am understanding it right. Also, what about the part in the yellow circle? Remove the mountain borders, and build the palisade up to it like in the red circle?

orcs1.png

Last edited:
So, @Dark199 The red circle is what I think you are saying. Just making sure I am understanding it right. Also, what about the part in the yellow circle? Remove the mountain borders, and build the palisade up to it like in the red circle?

Pretty much, but I'd recommend to keep it mostly square for buildings. Having a bunch of diagonal walls rarely looks appealing. In the latest image you posted, it looks like there won't be anything above it, so you would be able to not have walls there but the mountain is extremely skinny and looks bad imo. I'd remove most of it up until the part where it meets up with the building then placing a wall there, connecting that red circled area to the tower with a ladder. I also have a personal preference to never have a mountain touching a water tile but having some kind of waterboder buffer to make it look more appealing.

Very helpful. I appreciate it. I will probably end up deleting the mountain in the yellow circle. Just get rid of it completely, and rework the "fortress" from there.

As for the water/mountain touching, what is your recommendation? I have honestly hated that too, but I hadnt got around to fixing it. I honestly would have probably forgot about it had you not mentioned it.

Here is the Orc spawn again except I removed the mountain. I really only had the mountain in there to take up space until I could figure out exactly how I was dong this spawn.

Ignore all the random stuff in the back. I just placed it there so I dont have to find it again when I need it.

orcs2.png

Last edited:
You were asking for tips on the swamp, how to improve it..

just so happen to be that Shirako is one hell of a mapper, and he has a perfect picture in his thread to take inspiration from.
look at it and play around with borders in your own swamp and see how you can improve it! :)
One more:
qzk95t.png

You were asking for tips on the swamp, how to improve it..

just so happen to be that Shirako is one hell of a mapper, and he has a perfect picture in his thread to take inspiration from.
look at it and play around with borders in your own swamp and see how you can improve it! :)

Thanks for the tip.

Im not sure how I feel about the grounds used inside the walls. Can anyone chime in with some input?

orcs3.png

Last edited:
I personally dont like it when you put borders on top of each other but thats just me. Other might disagree with me.

-
I personally dont like it when you put borders on top of each other but thats just me. Other might disagree with me.
Any and all input is appreciated. Im not exactly sure how to do the grounds around the orcs. I just tried something, and thought I would post it up here for opinions.

-

Any and all input is appreciated. Im not exactly sure how to do the grounds around the orcs. I just tried something, and thought I would post it up here for opinions.
On orcs u should use many dirt ground and borders(because its camp they walk much, so little or even no grass inside), dired grass and dead nature stuff.

As many have stated before, I like how you keep listening to feedback and you're improving quickly.

I have a few pointers on the swamp since you're eager for opinions. Blueberry bushes, and birch trees specifically doesn't really look good close to a swamp in my opinion, they generally give the aura of a nice rich nature, whilst a swamp is more like... a "destroyer" of nature if you know what I mean.
My biggest feedback on the swamp is that the swampspots are too small (too narrow), but nevertheless it looks good! Be careful with using too much junglegrass on small swamps.

The bear cave is nice, I like it a lot, but the jungle grass isn't fitting. I know your idea (like copper shield quest in Rookgaard), but wheat or something else could perhaps make more sense than jungle grass. I don't know really.

The snake place doesn't need that log there, just looks weird, where did the tree come from? Again, I think there's too much jungle grass there, I like junglegrass in big swamp areas more. The big mushroom doesn't fit in, I'd rather use small mushrooms if you want mushrooms in the cave. You can also use edible mushrooms.

Lastly, mixing too many different types of trees is something most mappers do, they just place them based on what color they are. Think about it next time you map a nature pic, to not mix poplars, birch trees, fir trees etc too much. Trees like different pH values in their soil.
Can't provide with pics to make it easier for you to follow my feedback atm, but I'll do it next time I have something to say.

Also I heard you needed some help with trollcaves, I helped a new mapper with his trollcave, BulawOw, you can see my post further down this thread if you want.
https://otland.net/threads/bulawow-from-zero-to-map-makera.246774/
Ofc my picture isn't as beautiful as you can do it, but I hope it can help you with some detailing ideas and cave structure.

Overall really good job mate, keep it going!

As many have stated before, I like how you keep listening to feedback and you're improving quickly.

I have a few pointers on the swamp since you're eager for opinions. Blueberry bushes, and birch trees specifically doesn't really look good close to a swamp in my opinion, they generally give the aura of a nice rich nature, whilst a swamp is more like... a "destroyer" of nature if you know what I mean.
My biggest feedback on the swamp is that the swampspots are too small (too narrow), but nevertheless it looks good! Be careful with using too much junglegrass on small swamps.

The bear cave is nice, I like it a lot, but the jungle grass isn't fitting. I know your idea (like copper shield quest in Rookgaard), but wheat or something else could perhaps make more sense than jungle grass. I don't know really.

The snake place doesn't need that log there, just looks weird, where did the tree come from? Again, I think there's too much jungle grass there, I like junglegrass in big swamp areas more. The big mushroom doesn't fit in, I'd rather use small mushrooms if you want mushrooms in the cave. You can also use edible mushrooms.

Lastly, mixing too many different types of trees is something most mappers do, they just place them based on what color they are. Think about it next time you map a nature pic, to not mix poplars, birch trees, fir trees etc too much. Trees like different pH values in their soil.
Can't provide with pics to make it easier for you to follow my feedback atm, but I'll do it next time I have something to say.

Also I heard you needed some help with trollcaves, I helped a new mapper with his trollcave, BulawOw, you can see my post further down this thread if you want.
https://otland.net/threads/bulawow-from-zero-to-map-makera.246774/
Ofc my picture isn't as beautiful as you can do it, but I hope it can help you with some detailing ideas and cave structure.

Overall really good job mate, keep it going!
Thank you for the input. I will try to improve on those items and post revamps later on.

Here is another small wolf cave I made. Looking to get opinions again on what it could use for improvement.

Wolf Cave:
anotherwolf.png

Last edited:
Back